Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do the media tell us who to grieve for?

A serious question with no disrespect to anyone on the news that has died this week, however in order it appears:

1) a much loved 89 year old man

2)Two Children aged 7 & 3 in Barcelona

3) 105 African kids in Sierra Leone.

I'm not telling you who to be sad for I just think it's a "funny ol world"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No - they are just reporting current events likely to be of interest :shrug:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
News of deaths in a country where unfortunately there are a lot of killings aren't as shocking or attention grabbing as a more local death or terrorist attack.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We have a much more stronger attachment with Bruce than we do those kids in Sierra Leone or anywhere else in the world. As harsh as it is, it's the hard truth that some people can't seem to accept. We have a closer affinity to our own than those we do not know, but that doesn't mean people don't care, people can act to prevent those kids' deaths through the many charities in the region and encouraging foreign aid. We can't really prevent an elderly person dying of natural causes.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A serious question with no disrespect to anyone on the news that has died this week, however in order it appears:

1) a much loved 89 year old man

2)Two Children aged 7 & 3 in Barcelona

3) 105 African kids in Sierra Leone.

I'm not telling you who to be sad for I just think it's a "funny ol world"

Agree totally with your underlying message. After the mass murders elsewhere, today in Cambrils for example, the BBC went wall to wall coverage for hours on Bruce Forsyth.

This was picked up on last year, when many complained to the BBC that the death of David Bowie took over their news programmes for hours on end, with all other news and events shunted to one side. I personnally am a fan of his music and influence, but recognises that many more wouldn't not share that interest.

This treatment on a death used to be reserved for a famous PM or a Royal, a rare event, but the BBC now go for this blanket coverage with seeming regularity,

Agree totally with your underlying message. After the mass murders elsewhere, today in Cambrils for example, the BBC went wall to wall coverage for hours on Bruce Forsyth.

This was picked up on last year, when many complained to the BBC that the death of David Bowie took over their news programmes for hours on end, with all other news and events shunted to one side. I personnally am a fan of his music and influence, but recognises that many more wouldn't not share that interest.

This treatment on a death used to be reserved for a famous PM or a Royal, a rare event, but the BBC now go for this blanket coverage with seeming regularity,

Again, a good comment, I've had a skinful so I'm in a mood to argue with the tele (not with you lot though as I respect your opinion) I just wondered what everyone thought.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Little coverage of the 200+ deaths in Nepal, Uttarahkund and Himachal Pradesh this week from a much heavier than normal monsoon.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
We have a much more stronger attachment with Bruce than we do those kids in Sierra Leone or anywhere else in the world. As harsh as it is, it's the hard truth that some people can't seem to accept. We have a closer affinity to our own than those we do not know, but that doesn't mean people don't care, people can act to prevent those kids' deaths through the many charities in the region and encouraging foreign aid. We can't really prevent an elderly person dying of natural causes.

Thank you for summing the world up perfectly. Nailed it!

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, I thought the news coverage of the Brucie death was disproportionate. Terrorist attacks in major European cities are far more important. I felt the BBC were giving undue prominence to one of their own .

and yes I am tired and emotional

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Stopped watching the news on tv years ago. Everything you need to know is on NSC

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The mainstream fakenews media will happily show you pictures of a middle eastern boy lying drowned on a beach to suit their agenda, but won't show you the kids of the terrorist attack in Spain, France etc.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The media report the stories and to a degree they do influence who you gieve for as withoutbeing told you would be unaware of the deathsaround the world from natural diasasters, terrorism, etc.
Many of todays society then for whatever reason then what to gieve with the wider population and been seen to be gieving in unison.

On Sky News this evening there was an interview with a British couple who saidthey wanted to pay there respects to those that haddied in the terrorist attack.
A totally different view to me. If I had been on holuday in Barcelona the kast thing I would wantto do would beto visit the attack site.
Therefore in todays world are my thoughts out if step with the majority who are happy to be guided by the media and want to join in public outpourings of gieve for people they dont know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here