Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia in football - BBC news article

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
interesting that there is no "official" Brighton Gay Supporters group. Do we need or want one? I am very much in two minds about that. Doesn't having such a group just reinforce the idea that there is something different about us gay supporters? Personally I have never had any issues in or around the ground, although I do not wear a t shirt saying I am gay so is my husband! I like to think we are just there to support the team in the same way as the 27 000 other people are. However as shown tin the Homophobia in Football documentary recently, there is a major issue in the football hierarchy over this subject, and maybe Gay supporters groups can help change things

What do the other NSC contributors think ? We don't have a gay NSC Thread as some forums do, but as in the recent Gay Only holiday thread, there is healthy debate in here when the subject comes up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
interesting that there is no "official" Brighton Gay Supporters group. Do we need or want one? I am very much in two minds about that. Doesn't having such a group just reinforce the idea that there is something different about us gay supporters? Personally I have never had any issues in or around the ground, although I do not wear a t shirt saying I am gay so is my husband! I like to think we are just there to support the team in the same way as the 27 000 other people are. However as shown tin the Homophobia in Football documentary recently, there is a major issue in the football hierarchy over this subject, and maybe Gay supporters groups can help change things

What do the other NSC contributors think ? We don't have a gay NSC Thread as some forums do, but as in the recent Gay Only holiday thread, there is healthy debate in here when the subject comes up.

I don't believe we should have one, and have in fact written an article in a previous issue of The Albion Mag to precisely that effect.

When we go to watch football, we go as Albion fans, no more or less - I don't believe we should sub-divide ourselves along any further lines, rather we should concentrate on what we have in common rather than any differences.

Gay supporters groups are well-meaning, but for me only serve to emphasise the view that gay supporters are different from any other kind of supporters - we aren't.

I don't believe we need a 'gay thread' on NSC for precisely the same reason.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I really don't see any issue in the 'does your boyfriend know you're here' and 'we can see you holding hands' chants. It is just stereotypical for our city. Just like chanting to northerners about benefits, Leeds fans about Savile, Liverpool fans about stealing car stereos etc.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't believe we should have one, and have in fact written an article in a previous issue of The Albion Mag to precisely that effect.

When we go to watch football, we go as Albion fans, no more or less - I don't believe we should sub-divide ourselves along any further lines, rather we should concentrate on what we have in common rather than any differences.

Gay supporters groups are well-meaning, but for me only serve to emphasise the view that gay supporters are different from any other kind of supporters - we aren't.

100% this. It's boring and its not news imo

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Too be honest I hope we dont have a gay supporters club, hopefully our fans are accepting enough gay fans do not feel like it is needed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I know it is early in the day but post of the day for me already

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That makes perfect sense to me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Too be honest I hope we dont have a gay supporters club, hopefully our fans are accepting enough gay fans do not feel like it is needed.

It's not just acceptance. The important thing as fans is to call out homophobic behaviour or language when we come across it. This is important for all fans to do, LGBT+ community or otherwise. The zero tolerance of homophobic abuse on this site is fantastic as well as the work Liz Costa has done and is doing in the wider football world. It means that for the Albion, LGBT+ fans are 'us' rather than 'them'.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's not just acceptance. The important thing as fans is to call out homophobic behaviour or language when we come across it. This is important for all fans to do, LGBT+ community or otherwise. The zero tolerance of homophobic abuse on this site is fantastic as well as the work Liz Costa has done and is doing in the wider football world. It means that for the Albion, LGBT+ fans are 'us' rather than 'them'.

Fair enough, not being Gay I dont appreciate these things, Hearing the odd gay boy chant doesn't bother me, but I do get enranged by ****** and Aids chants i think that is digusting and completely out of order so eporting everything no matter how small to achieve a better outcome for all is fine by me and respect anyone who takes part in activaly trying to stop this.

But as fans of Brighton I would hope no group of supporters feels excluded let alone because of your sexual preferance.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I think we do need an LGBT group to be honest. I think the sentiment that we're all just Albion supporters and don't see a difference is a noble one. But I do feel that there is a sizeable enough proportion of Albion fans who don't get it. Just read the comments here, "I don't see what's wrong with does your boyfriend know you're here". The sad truth is people think it's banter which is pointed out in the article. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Brighton fans are being homophobic, but I do think people still don't fully understand the issues and the only way to change that is through education and raising the profile of LGBT fans.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I really don't see any issue in the 'does your boyfriend know you're here' and 'we can see you holding hands' chants.
I do. If you're a young gay man who supports the away team, and you're just coming to terms with your sexuality, it's not going to be nice if everyone around you is singing anti gay songs. Many of those singing will be doing so in jest, because it's just a bit of fun - but a lot of them will mean it - a lot of them actually dislike people being gay. So there you are coming to terms with the idea of being gay, and your mates next to you are joining in with slagging off gays.

Just like chanting to northerners about benefits, Leeds fans about Savile, Liverpool fans about stealing car stereos etc.
No, it's nothing like that at all :facepalm:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Interesting to see Matt Lucas's view that, were a player to come out, opposing fans would "give you hell".

I really, really don't believe that would be the case, and to suggest it would seems to me like a case of stereotyping in much the same way as he perceives would happen to said player.

For one thing, the first player to come out is, rightly or wrongly, going to find himself (and I say "himself", because there are plenty of out gay female players) at the centre of much attention. He will also be massively supported across all quarters: witness other sportsmen who've made the step such as Tom Daley, Keegan Hirst, Robbie Rogers, Thomas Hitzlsperger, Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens. The first few games after it happens will be very high profile, as the media descend to observe the crowd reaction.

It's inevitable you might get the odd "wag" (I use that term reluctantly in this situation, as it rather infers a certain wit, which clearly wouldn't be the case if he was making smutty remarks about a gay footballer) chipping in with a comment, or some pissed up bloke or two trying to start something. But I honestly believe that the overwhelming majority of any crowd, be they home or away fans would be entirely supportive, and recognisant of the huge step taken by that player. We all have gay friends, family or work colleagues somewhere in our lives, yet I'm pretty sure even the most old fashioned of guys can manage to walk around their office without bursting into "Do you take it up the arse?" to their workmates. I think anybody attempting to start an abusive song would soon find himself drowned out by hundreds of other, decent, respectful, embarrassed human beings.

I actually find it vaguely insulting, as a football fan, when the media perpetuate the idea that crowds would give an out gay player fifty shades of abuse. I really don't think it is the case. But all the time that view is expressed, then it makes it, sadly, less likely that a player will feel it's worth coming out.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Interesting to see Matt Lucas's view that, were a player to come out, opposing fans would "give you hell".

I really, really don't believe that would be the case, and to suggest it would seems to me like a case of stereotyping in much the same way as he perceives would happen to said player.

For one thing, the first player to come out is, rightly or wrongly, going to find himself (and I say "himself", because there are plenty of out gay female players) at the centre of much attention. He will also be massively supported across all quarters: witness other sportsmen who've made the step such as Tom Daley, Keegan Hirst, Robbie Rogers, Thomas Hitzlsperger, Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens. The first few games after it happens will be very high profile, as the media descend to observe the crowd reaction.

It's inevitable you might get the odd "wag" (I use that term reluctantly in this situation, as it rather infers a certain wit, which clearly wouldn't be the case if he was making smutty remarks about a gay footballer) chipping in with a comment, or some pissed up bloke or two trying to start something. But I honestly believe that the overwhelming majority of any crowd, be they home or away fans would be entirely supportive, and recognisant of the huge step taken by that player. We all have gay friends, family or work colleagues somewhere in our lives, yet I'm pretty sure even the most old fashioned of guys can manage to walk around their office without bursting into "Do you take it up the arse?" to their workmates. I think anybody attempting to start an abusive song would soon find himself drowned out by hundreds of other, decent, respectful, embarrassed human beings.

I actually find it vaguely insulting, as a football fan, when the media perpetuate the idea that crowds would give an out gay player fifty shades of abuse. I really don't think it is the case. But all the time that view is expressed, then it makes it, sadly, less likely that a player will feel it's worth coming out.

Sol Campbell and Graham Le Saux would disagree.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I do. If you're a young gay man who supports the away team, and you're just coming to terms with your sexuality, it's not going to be nice if everyone around you is singing anti gay songs. Many of those singing will be doing so in jest, because it's just a bit of fun - but a lot of them will mean it - a lot of them actually dislike people being gay. So there you are coming to terms with the idea of being gay, and your mates next to you are joining in with slagging off gays.

No, it's nothing like that at all :facepalm:

Agreed. Whilst some of the songs I've heard in the past (Bournemouth fans singing about HIV and so on) were beyond the pale, it's often the "little" stuff that is part of the problem. Even "Does your boyfriend know you're here" reinforces the idea that to be gay is somehow negative, different or humorous, or worthy of being singled out.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world (certainly not compared to some stuff I've heard sung in the past), but it's just another little thing that can (I'm not saying it always does, but it can) cause hurt, or fear, or just a sense of not belonging. And I for one don't want anybody who wears our colours to feel like they don't belong, whoever they happen to fall in love with in life.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
See Matt Lucas' comments ......
He's wrong on the 'holding hands' bit. Let's assume this was about race instead:

"I think you've got to allow a little bit, you know, you've got to be able to have a little bit of a laugh and a joke. Once you're calling someone you know, a n***** or something like that then it's obviously nasty and it's intended to be bullying and intimidating. Singing 'oo oo ah ah monkey monkey' - I'd probably join in if we were playing Arsenal"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I really hope you're right, but I wonder if you've started to believe the rest of the country is like Sussex. I'm pretty sure there are clubs whose fans (by and large) are so backward that they would still chant abuse against a gay player. We'd need the media and police to help stop it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sol Campbell and Graham Le Saux would disagree.

Perhaps. But I'm talking about a situation here where a player comes out. There would be such an outpouring of support, I'd like to think even the most moronic of supporters would realise that it's not on to pile in with their caveman chants.

Neither Campbell nor Le Saux were actually gay, and while directing abuse based on perceived sexuality is really no more acceptable (including in the eyes of the law) than abuse based on cold hard facts, I do think that we as a society have moved on somewhat, even in that short time since Le Saux & Campbell, thanks in no small part to the sportsmen who've already braved the media storm and come out. The abuse of Campbell was motivated, I suspect, far more by his transfer from Spurs to Arsenal than anything else, and his perceived sexuality was merely another stick to beat him with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed. Whilst some of the songs I've heard in the past (Bournemouth fans singing about HIV and so on) were beyond the pale, it's often the "little" stuff that is part of the problem. Even "Does your boyfriend know you're here" reinforces the idea that to be gay is somehow negative, different or humorous, or worthy of being singled out.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world (certainly not compared to some stuff I've heard sung in the past), but it's just another little thing that can (I'm not saying it always does, but it can) cause hurt, or fear, or just a sense of not belonging. And I for one don't want anybody who wears our colours to feel like they don't belong, whoever they happen to fall in love with in life.
To be honest it's the people who aren't wearing our colours that I feel for more. If I imagine myself as a gay Brighton fan (no I know, it's easy for me), I see backward opposing fans chanting backward crap, while I stand together with my fans from a city that I know is much more accepting of me. However, if I imagine myself as a gay fan from the opposition, standing among the backward fans, wondering if my mates are going to pick up on the fact that I haven't joined in with the chanting, and whether they've noticed I don't look happy - that's a much more lonely place to be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here