Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist on illegal bike who killed a pedestrian on manslaughter charged 'blamed victim'

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bit of an extreme case of a cyclist in a first of its kind who knocked over and killed a pedestrian claimed
"I feel bad due to the seriousness of her injuries but I can put my hand up and say this is not my fault."

The jury heard Alliston had been riding a "fixie" - a fixed wheel track bicycle with no front brake used by track racing cyclists - which is not legal on the road without modification.
A few days after the incident in Old Street, Shoreditch, Mr Alliston posted a comment online, claiming he had tried to warn Mrs Briggs but that she had "ignored me" and "stopped dead" in his path, the court heard.

full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40927791

Seems they are being held responsible for there actions along with car drivers.

Will this case may set a precedent for the future in making cyclist more accountable?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Correction: "Making illegal cyclists more accountable"

I think it's best if we just gloss over the fact he was riding an illegal bike and killed a mother of 2 young children.
Instead focussing on the more important issue of targeting all cyclists as a single collective entity, just like all car drivers are one of the same.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think it's best if we just gloss over the fact he was riding an illegal bike and killed a mother of 2 young children.
Instead focussing on the more important issue of targeting all cyclists as a single collective entity, just like all car drivers are one of the same.

I don't think the court is doing that do you?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The trial is ongoing and has been all week.

At this moment the defendant is innocent.

I think he will be found innocent, Accidents are just that , there is not always someone to blame. they happen but they seem to want to make an example of him, is it because of his comment in the days following?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he will be found innocent, Accidents are just that , there is not always someone to blame. they happen but they seem to want to make an example of him, is it because of his comment in the days following?

No it's because he was riding an illegal bike.

Would someone knowingly driving a car with no brakes, killing someone, have it deemed to be an accident, or manslaughter.

I hope they throw the book at this idiot, irrespective of his me, me, me snowflake ramblings on Twitter.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry but the arrogant little twerp will be found guilty, culpable, in the wrong and will be dealt with accordingly.
Sane cyclists need have no fear.
Prats on the other hand, well, you take your chance and you will pay if caught.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tragic accident compounded by several unfortunate factors coming together. Someone has died in this one but there are many such circumstances where good fortune means its a few bruises or a s@@@ yourself moment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tragic accident compounded by several unfortunate factors coming together. Someone has died in this one but there are many such circumstances where good fortune means its a few bruises or a s@@@ yourself moment.

Sorry but riding without a front brake isn't one of several unfortunate factors.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
If I mention that front bike brakes are banned in Islam, will this thread get moved to "the other stuff"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No it's because he was riding an illegal bike.

Would someone knowingly driving a car with no brakes, killing someone, have it deemed to be an accident, or manslaughter.

I hope they throw the book at this idiot, irrespective of his me, me, me snowflake ramblings on Twitter.

Crikey, I thought you were ultra pro cyclist ? .... get yourself down Worthing prom by Splash Point and you will see plenty more idiots of the same ilk roaring past pedestrians with inches to spare. There has been accidents before and there will be again before long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crikey, I thought you were ultra pro cyclist ? .... get yourself down Worthing prom by Splash Point and you will see plenty more idiots of the same ilk roaring past pedestrians with inches to spare. There has been accidents before and there will be again before long.

I can't think of a single time I have been pro cyclist on any of the cyclist bashing threads.
99% of the time I agree that the cyclist was in the wrong.

I never ride on the prom by splash point, you will find me on the road.
I am happier in the position where I'm the one who is going to be killed to death by the act of a motorist, as opposed to the one doing the killing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't think of a single time I have been pro cyclist on any of the cyclist bashing threads.
99% of the time I agree that the cyclist was in the wrong.

I never ride on the prom by splash point, you will find me on the road.
I am happier in the position where I'm the one who is going to be killed to death by the act of a motorist, as opposed to the one doing the killing.

You still have a fairly good chance of being killed by another cyclist too... once saw a very close shave between two cyclists at the lights by the northeast corner of The Level, one had gone through a red light and nearly wiped out a cyclist who had the right of way. Some cracking vocabulary exchanged between them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You still have a fairly good chance of being killed by another cyclist too... once saw a very close shave between two cyclists at the lights by the northeast corner of The Level, one had gone through a red light and nearly wiped out a cyclist who had the right of way. Some cracking vocabulary exchanged between them.
A fairly good chance, are you sure about that.
Although had it been a car, then yes there is a fairly good chance of anyone in it's path being killed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A fairly good chance, are you sure about that.
Although had it been a car, then yes there is a fairly good chance of anyone in it's path being killed.

Yes, a lot of idiot car drivers also ride bikes from time to time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If they used their designated paths and paid tax things would improve..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here