Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Matchday Experience at Palace…

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For all those moaning about Amex queues, 1901 catering, champagne being served at the wrong temperature, toilet paper the wrong colour etc…

Try taking a trip back into the 1970s, with this heartrending eyewitness account, posted on the BBS only this Saturday, of life as it is still lived up the road…

“The match day experience at Selhurst just gets worse by the year . Now I havent been in the Glaziers bar for a couple seasons but my god what have they done ? What was once a decent place for a pint is now a plastic soulless canteen selling almost undrinkable Lagers at a fiver a pint . Another fiver was handed over for a sausage in a bread roll, not even offered any onions .

No running water in the gents ,if it was an outside bar it would be shut down and certainly would have its food licence removed .

The seats in the upper rows are so close together my knees were painfully squashed against the seat in front ,I'm not even 6ft so would say anyone taller than that it would be a no go area .

The half time piss took most of half time , the toilets at the top of block C are nowhere near adequate for the number of people

Lessons learned ,
Don't go to the ground before the match , drink and eat at outside pubs and arrive at 5 to KO
Don't sit in the Old stand .”​

Just imagine what they could do if they had been in the billionaire’s paradise of the Premier League for a season or two. Or, possibly, four.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our pet palacers will be along any minute now to defend themselves.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Where are they??? Anticipating some bollocks along the lines of Shithurst is a real old skool football experience, horse linement, mud and leather, wooden seats, jumpers for goalposts,smell of onions frying on the griddle (oh sorry, no onions!), Bovril, cheap lager (oh sorry - expensive larger), proper toilets, no plastics, no JCLs, the best crowd in the division, fortress shithurst etc stc etc

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We keep getting told everything is rosy at Palace though ? ???

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Fair play to Palace for staying in the Premier League but failing to spend anything on the ground will come back to haunt them, I'm sure when they got promoted the Chairman said they were going to invest for the future but apart from some cladding and new floodlights nothing has been done.

Replace the main stand with a Amex style West Stand rebuild the away stand and supermarket stand with similar more modern ones and you could have a decent ground with 4 different sides and it wouldn't cost much more than a couple of Premier League strikers.

Can't see anything happening now but when they do finally get relegated they won't be coming back up again and will have the worse ground in the Championship.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just watched the highlights of them getting stuffed lol

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Hang on... But facilities don't get you points - That's what they tell us.

Its a shame they don't understand that the infrastructure is just as important to Survive long term in the PL. If/When they go down this season they are in the same position, infrastructure wise then when they got promoted, albeit cladding and floodlights.

You also forgot about the Disabled facilities or lack off. - www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271539

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's OK they've been doing things the right way, investing in players whilst maintaining their gritty urban personas with a stadium to match. Besides they've been in the PL for 5 years and have built up a £500m bank balance as well as a further £100m "ring fenced" by their American investors.

Apparently.

We've got to mind the gap as there are pupils and teachers, we're sooooooooo far behind them.....:(

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our pet palacers will be along any minute now to defend themselves.

No they won't, they are still too embarrassed about their thrashing by Huddersfield. We'll have some welcome respite for a while yet I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No they won't, they are still too embarrassed about their thrashing by Huddersfield. We'll have some welcome respite for a while yet I think.

No you've got it all wrong, they're but moments away.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Its football you win some you lose some, not embarrassing its what happens.

Edit: and now here's the companion BBS thread, entitled Disgraceful Disabled Facilities

Don't get that thread, The disabled places have been moved to the main stand and vastly improved, those photos are from the older area that has had some sort of Sky / BT studio dumped in the way a couple of seasons ago.

The Ground, Its a shit pit we know, but its our shit pit and I love it. There is loads of work going on behind the scenes, but as you should all well know after your 10 year fight, people around the area don't want bigger stands more traffic and do all they can to stop it.

Mind you I do sit in the Holmesdale stand which IMHO is as good as any other stand around the country and better than a few.

As much as I hate Palace I'm not joining in this one, I have very fond memories of The Goldstone some of which include being dangerously packed in, the pissy smell from the bogs and the worse smell from the burger bar. We all have different opinions on what we enjoy at the match, I had a feeling I'd be in a minority when I read the title thread "matchday experience"

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
As much as I hate Palace I'm not joining in this one, I have very fond memories of The Goldstone some of which include being dangerously packed in, the pissy smell from the bogs and the worse smell from the burger bar. We all have different opinions on what we enjoy at the match, I had a feeling I'd be in a minority when I read the title thread "matchday experience"

I was too young to remember my parents taking me to the Goldstone, so can't comment on what that was like. But it's 2017, I'd prefer not to have a constant smell of piss wafting through my nostrils which I watch football personally.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here