Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Doesn't work

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So if it was an article was about black Albion players presumably you would have said "links with those from the banana boat"?

No, but as my dad is from Tipp, my mum lives in Mayo, my sister is in Dublin, and I have an Irish passport, perhaps there's a little bit of irony in the thread title?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't forget the big Irish community in Mid Sussex many came to work at St Francis hospital in Haywards Heath also St Pauls School opened early 60s inHaywards Heath which has now been rebuilt in Burgess Hill. I suggest that posters on this site should do the DNA test for £60 and you will be surprised at the results.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
No, but as my dad is from Tipp, my mum lives in Mayo, my sister is in Dublin, and I have an Irish passport, perhaps there's a little bit of irony in the thread title?

Oh I see, we are all supposed to know your family background and therefore appreciate that you have special dispensation to use 1970s Bernard Manning type insulting references to the Irish. Cop onto yourself pal...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Oh I see, we are all supposed to know your family background and therefore appreciate that you have special dispensation to use 1970s Bernard Manning type insulting references to the Irish. Cop onto yourself pal...

Did you not get that email which basically had El Presidente's whole family tree on it?

I'm pretty sure every new NSC-user received it.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Those of us that know your real name would know that. Others would not. I'm still not comfortable that it's an appropriate reference to the people of Ireland.

On an Irish board, if you want to laugh at yourselves, then so be it. But, I'm not Irish, so I don't feel comfortable with it. And, it just encourages other more impressionable types to feel it is ok to use derogatory labels to describe other communities. If it was me, I'd change it.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This made me weep.

"Roy Keane was all set for a trial at Brighton as a teenager, arranged by Paul McCarthy, his old Rockmount team-mate. The trial was cancelled on the day before he was due to travel from Cork. Brighton had heard that Keane was too small to make it as a pro."

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Great piece to read.
My grandad, if he were still alive, would have laughed his head off at original thread title.
Originally from Dublin, he had a very dry, but weird SOH. :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Those of us that know your real name would know that. Others would not. I'm still not comfortable that it's an appropriate reference to the people of Ireland.

On an Irish board, if you want to laugh at yourselves, then so be it. But, I'm not Irish, so I don't feel comfortable with it. And, it just encourages other more impressionable types to feel it is ok to use derogatory labels to describe other communities. If it was me, I'd change it.

You put forward a considered proportionate viewpoint, so I've changed the title, reluctantly.

But I don't think it is derogatory to the Irish, when I used to visit my relatives and catch the ferry to and from Holyhead we all used to call the boat that name all the time.

The right to offend is a tough one, some people get off on being offended at the slightest issue. We don't tolerate racism or homophobia on NSC, but I genuinely don't think my initial comment was in any way an element of the former, it's just laughing at yourself.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Well said that man. I've never heard Irish people using "potato boat" in a self deprecating manner; it's an expression used by people with the mentality of Jim Davidson/Bernard Manning. If El Presidente is comfortable that he isn't being offensive perhaps he could ask Liam Brady which potato boat he arrived on.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You put forward a considered proportionate viewpoint, so I've changed the title, reluctantly.

But I don't think it is derogatory to the Irish, when I used to visit my relatives and catch the ferry to and from Holyhead we all used to call the boat that name all the time.

The right to offend is a tough one, some people get off on being offended at the slightest issue. We don't tolerate racism or homophobia on NSC, but I genuinely don't think my initial comment was in any way an element of the former, it's just laughing at yourself.

i was actually surprised it wasn't immediately dumped to other stuff to be honest.....people are soon uppity these days. Clearly offending the paddies is not as shameful as offending ...................(insert any "minority" here).......both parents were Irish btw.....:thumbsup:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I go back to my original point; if this was an article about black Albion players and you said that they arrived on the "banana boat" you would find it very hard to squirm out of...

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

wel....it is. And the feedback on this thread shows that. Ask anyone effected by the famine and you'll understand. Anyway you've done the right thing, lets all move on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here