Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a miracle' - Liam Brady salutes the rise of old club Brighton.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Liam Brady is backing one of his lesser heralded clubs to ruffle some Premier League feathers this season, as Brighton and Hove Albion prepare for their return to the top flight of English soccer after a 34-year exile.

Former Arsenal and Juventus midfielder Brady, now an analyst with RTÉ Sport and one of the finest players Ireland has ever produced, helmed the Seagulls for two years in the mid-90s.

Relegated from the old First Division in 1983 and almost going bankrupt in the intervening years, the Seagulls finally made it back to the top division when they were automatically promoted from the Championship in 2017 as runners-up to Newcastle United.

Brady took the reins at Brighton in 1993 after leaving Celtic, leaving in '95 after a fallout with the then owners, though he retains an affection for the south England club and said they've already defied the odds.

"It's a miracle really, that a club that was very nearly going out of existence are now going to be playing against Manchester City in the Premier League on Saturday," he said.

"They were just trying to sell the ground, and that's why I fell out with them."
"I enjoyed the players and enjoyed the games and the fans, but it was quite obvious to me that the people running the club were more interested in the value of where the stadium was.

Brighton's Goldstone Ground was indeed sold but very little of the money went to the club, ushering in a period of uncertainty on and off the pitch that lasted for the best part of two decades.

Despite their difficulties, Brady always believed that the south coast club belonged in the upper realms of the English football pyramid, and at one point he tried to put a consortium together to buy the club.

"I knew there was potential there, to get the club back on its feet. It's every bit as big as an Ipswich or a Norwich, you have a 30,000 regular fan base," Brady said.

After a number of ownership changes, the situation for the club stabilised and the long, slow climb back to the English top flight began.

"It just needed investment and a future. (Former chairman) Dick Knight steadied the ship, and the Bloom family came in with money to invest, and they have done so very shrewdly, very wisely."

Led by poker player and property investor Tony Bloom, the family took a gamble and invested millions in the club, including building the 30,000-seat Falmer stadium where they will host City on Saturday.

"They haven't gone and spent fortunes like some teams have done. I'm delighted for Chris Hughton, he's proved himself to be a very, very good manager and they thoroughly deserved to go up," Brady added.

"They'll be in the relegation battle from the start, but a bit like Burnley, a bit like Charlton going back a few years, they've kept the nucleus of the team together, they've got lads who want to make a name for themselves in the game.

"Team spirit has got to be the thing - to fight for every point. You've seen teams do it in the past.

"If you think you're going to come up and play lovely football against all the others in the division, you're going to get a rude awakening. They've got to scramble for every point."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0811/896763-liam-brady/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How I hate Bill Archer and David Belotti. What a pair of *******s.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How I hate Bill Archer and David Belotti. What a pair of *******s.

I wonder if Bill Archer ever thinks about the Albion, particularly now we've been in the limelight a lot recently? How much money did he make out of us in the end for his fifty six pounds and twenty five pence?

As for Bellotti: I tend to think it's rude to speak ill of the dead, so I shall keep a dignified silence.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Great to see that he has a lot of affection for us and does hold any grudges wth us becasue of t0sser 1 and 2

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I wonder if Bill Archer ever thinks about the Albion, particularly now we've been in the limelight a lot recently? How much money did he make out of us in the end for his fifty six pounds and twenty five pence?

As for Bellotti: I tend to think it's rude to speak ill of the dead, so I shall keep a dignified silence.

Would normally agree.....but will happily make an exception for him!
Bloke was, and always will be nothing but an utter cvnt of the highest order!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I thought Brady did a good job under difficult circumstances as a manager. Not sure why he didn't get many other chances as a manager.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if his consortium had taken control.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

No vision from either of them. Destroyers, not creators; not a good thing when you've got no conscience.

I could've sworn I read Liam Brady paid, or partially paid out of his own pocket, for the extra season at the Goldstone which allowed time to agree to play at Gillingham and effectively kept the club alive.

I had the great pleasure of sharing a few drinks with him after Lord's for the whole night and the man is such a genuinely lovely bloke and still loves the Albion. He was humble and delighted to see us growing again as a club (probably 3 years ago). And when he played for us he still dominated a professional football pitch at 40+.

What a man, what a player! If this story is true he should have a little corner of the ground named after him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just found myself browsing through old programmes on [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION]'s EXCELLENT site, and found the Hereford United captain's programme notes from THAT game in May 1997.

It really makes you think, doesn't it? This guy, a journeyman footballer, knowing his livelihood is on the line, getting ready for a game against a set of players in a similar position. All or nothing. That's how close we came. Look how positive he's trying to be, whilst all the time he's probably absolutely bricking it.

And look how it ended for him.

That was a Sliding Doors moment for us <shivers> :ohmy:

We will get it right today and we will win. We deserve our League place- whatever some of the so-called neutrals have said- and we will keep it.

Our average attendance may be lower than Brighton's, but our League football means just as much to Hereford supporters as Seagulls fans, no matter what the numbers are.

They reckon 800 Hereford fans travelled to Orient last week, but you sounded like 8000! It was frightening. The way you stood and cheered us at the end despite the result brought a lump to the throats of more than a few players. I have had plenty of difficult times in my career, including injuries and operations where I was told I might not be able to father children. You might think that would make you feel some of the worst emotions a player can experience, but I have never felt as bad as I did at 4:55pm last Saturday. We should have won. We had enough of the game. We certainly shouldn't have lost.

There is no way we are going to feel like that again this afternoon. We won't let it happen, and you the fans deserve this final decisive win. I have been at a lot of clubs with a lot of great fans, but I have never seen anything like the support you gave us at Orient. Now we are going to pay you back.

If there is one thing we can take away from Orient, it is clarity of thought. We might have gone into today's match trying to hold on to a draw and it might have worked against us. Now we know exactly what we have to do to survive. Without taking risks at the back, we have to attack, score goals, and win. That may be harder than getting a draw, but it could work for us instead of against us. We are going out there in an extremely positive frame of mind.

We are lucky. We have one last chance to put everything right and our fate is in our own hands. We don't have to rely on results from elsewhere. We fully intend to go out and take that chance with both feet.

There is a real sense of pride now amongst the lads- pride in wearing the black & white colours for the people of Herefordshire.

I will be out before kick off to give the Hereford sides of the ground a sense of that pride we feel and to convey to you what a privilege it has been, and will remain to be, to be included in this club. There is no reason whatsoever why there should be any trouble between the two sets of fans today, because both Brighton and Hereford supporters have experienced similarly traumatic seasons. I'd like to speak to all of you now. In a unique way, you know exactly what the other side's fans will be feeling before and after the match. For that reason, there should remain an underlying solidarity throughout this difficult day.

But during the match, you will no doubt be trying to out-shout each other, and in that department you Hereford supporters must win too. We are in this together and we can survive together.

Whatever happens, I fully intend to remain at Hereford for next season. But make no mistake, we will go out there and preserve Hereford United's League status. We will stay up and not Brighton!

David Norton.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
No vision from either of them. Destroyers, not creators; not a good thing when you've got no conscience.

I could've sworn I read Liam Brady paid, or partially paid out of his own pocket, for the extra season at the Goldstone which allowed time to agree to play at Gillingham and effectively kept the club alive.

I had the great pleasure of sharing a few drinks with him after Lord's for the whole night and the man is such a genuinely lovely bloke and still loves the Albion. He was humble and delighted to see us growing again as a club (probably 3 years ago). And when he played for us he still dominated a professional football pitch at 40+.

What a man, what a player! If this story is true he should have a little corner of the ground named after him.
Brady is a decent bloke but I think his heart is ruling his head. Brady works as an analyst on Irish TV and most of the time he is wrong. If it was Johnny Giles then it would be worth considering - but with Brady you take the 'analysis' with a pinch of salt.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I thought Brady did a good job under difficult circumstances as a manager. Not sure why he didn't get many other chances as a manager.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if his consortium had taken control.

It was amazing that we were still attracting names like Brady and Case, even when in such dire straights.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I agree he built a decent side under the circumstances. Who can forget Stuart Monday's goal and the win at Leicester? Equally brilliant was the win at Wycombe in the previous round. Someone will correct me, but I think it was only 3-1 (possibly 4-1), but the scoreline in no way reflects the quality of the performance. We could. and probably should, have won 10-0. Still one of the best all-round away performances I can remember.

Let's not forget Brady's role in getting the consortium togther, either. He was always on the side of the fans - and it was clear he had absolutely no respect for A***** and B*******.

A bit of a Brighton legend, IMO.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I remember when he would warm up with the players before a game, kicking the ball around and giving instructions. Not seen many other managers do that.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Got a lot of time for Brady as he was there during those dark days and tries to get a consortium to take over the club....super bloke&#55357;&#56833;

Stumpy Tim

Sorry Edna, you're wrong. I would happily piss on Belotti's grave. Sad that a person can live life and care so little about thousands of others, but when you die all you have is your reputation... And his is dirt. Good riddance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I've always told people that if we had lost the Hereford match we would have dropped 4 leagues because we didn't have our own ground. I guess now I really ought to fact check that so can someone confirm that or put me right.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Great man

Got a lot of time for Brady as he was there during those dark days and tries to get a consortium to take over the club....super bloke��

Brady is a decent bloke but I think his heart is ruling his head. Brady works as an analyst on Irish TV and most of the time he is wrong. If it was Johnny Giles then it would be worth considering - but with Brady you take the 'analysis' with a pinch of salt.

I think at the time, LB was one of the only shining lights to come out, of what I can best describe as a pile if sh!te that the two gimps were leaving the Albion in.
Have always had time for him, another one to add to the Albion / Ireland connection.....Lawrenson, Robinson and Hughton :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here