Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NY Times article on Tony Bloom - Barton not happy?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Barrister not solicitor..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to read a new slant on the Albion - in the NY Times no less.
Although that'll be more to do with American sport realising it's cutting it's nose off to spite it's face where gambling is concerned.

I still can't see private man Tony being all that comfortable with him and Star Lizard in the public eye.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Interesting that Star Lizard assists UEFA against match fixing.

Oh and that chav scroat Barton can **** right off. Again.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good to read a new slant on the Albion - in the NY Times no less.
Although that'll be more to do with American sport realising it's cutting it's nose off to spite it's face where gambling is concerned.

I still can't see private man Tony being all that comfortable with him and Star Lizard in the public eye.
Hmmm. Well that's one way of looking at it. One could also argue that the Americans are a bit more principled than we are when it comes to gambling and sport. I'm not necessarily making that argument - but if I were I don't expect it would find too many supporters on here seeing as how we always feel we're morally superior to America in every respect.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Nice read, and it shows how the Americans and the English view ownership and gambling companies.
There it's not permitted to own a club if your involved in gambling, whereas here it's deemed ok if you follow the leagues secret rules.
Thought it was weird that Bloom wasn't listed as a director of Star Lizard, and he gave another one of his companies a £30 mill interest free loan.
A generous businessman.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thought it was weird that Bloom wasn't listed as a director of Star Lizard, and he gave another one of his companies a £30 mill interest free loan.
A generous businessman.

He is extremely secretive. Very few know the full extent of his wealth but I did hear he is the landlord / freehold for a lot of big office blocks along London Wall in the City. Mental if true

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm. Well that's one way of looking at it. One could also argue that the Americans are a bit more principled than we are when it comes to gambling and sport. I'm not necessarily making that argument - but if I were I don't expect it would find too many supporters on here seeing as how we always feel we're morally superior to America in every respect.

You can gamble on American sport, gambling is as much the conversation, points spreads etc, as it is here it's just not as accessible.
From the outside looking in, (I'm sure the Americans on here will put me right) I think the problem for America is their laws have managed to make them miss t'internet gambling on sport.

Sure that means they don't have to be terrified by Ray Winston's giant head, but they know that's a massive cash cow that's just out of reach, although not for much longer.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Star Lizard Consulting has its headquarters in the Camden Locks, a bohemian neighborhood known for drug raids, food hawkers, tourists and a devotion to Amy Winehouse."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see what relevance this is to Joey Bartons solicitors as there are rules for players and a different set of rules for owners and he violated the ones for players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I cannot see what relevance this is to Joey Bartons solicitors as there are rules for players and a different set of rules for owners and he violated the ones for players.

Legally - 100% correct. Bloom (and Coates at Stoke, etc) have broken no rules, whereas Barton did (over 1,000 times) and has earned his punishment.

More generally though, you can have some sympathy with his view that football's house is not entirely in order regards their relationship with the gambling industry.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

So Barton and his barrister didn't actually comment apart from 'Interesting' - but you can see how they might feel that Tony Bloom owning a company that gambles professionally which may or may not include Brighton, which he directly benefits from and Joey Barton betting on games that he may or may not have been involved with is double standards.

Barton is a tool, as he was betting a lot on games he was involved with or affiliated with and this isn't just a Bloom thing. A large % of 'owners' have involvements in the betting world I reckon

SAC

May 21, 2014
Legally - 100% correct. Bloom (and Coates at Stoke, etc) have broken no rules, whereas Barton did (over 1,000 times) and has earned his punishment.

More generally though, you can have some sympathy with his view that football's house is not entirely in order regards their relationship with the gambling industry.

Indeed, in particular as they wont make the details public.

So unlike the FA!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Another media source thinking that Tony has made all his money from one source. What about his property development arm?

what property development arm? is there a record of his companies and investment? trouble with our Tony's secrecy is no a lot of public information, wasn't long ago that reports assumed his entire wealth was from the the betting web site he sold, even though he'd put more than that in BHA.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
what property development arm? is there a record of his companies and investment? trouble with our Tony's secrecy is no a lot of public information, wasn't long ago that his entire wealth was based on the the betting web site he sold.

He owns a lot of property in London & Australia I believe but again, there is very little public detail around this.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nice read, and it shows how the Americans and the English view ownership and gambling companies.
There it's not permitted to own a club if your involved in gambling, whereas here it's deemed ok if you follow the leagues secret rules.
A very successful and wealthy businessman .

Corrected for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here