Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Photoshop for Beginners

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So, I am thinking of subsrcibing to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and I'm looking for good learning resources other than trawling through hours of YouTube footage.

Does anyone have any good recommendations books/e-learning courses that are ideal for beginners other than Photoshop for dummies

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
There are loads of very good Youtube Photoshop tutorials. They've got me up to "Hiney Art" standard! Every time I need to do a certain operation in PS, I just do a quick search and Bob's your uncle.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
There are loads of very good Youtube Photoshop tutorials. They've got me up to "Hiney Art" standard! Every time I need to do a certain operation in PS, I just do a quick search and Bob's your uncle.

I know this maybe good for some people so thanks but I really find YT tiresome and was looking for a good book ideally that I can sit down and read and understand before I move on to a more advanced level

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I really find YT tiresome...

try watching at 1.25% speed, it gives things an urgency which can be more engaging, without going chipmonk. i share an urge to have some dead wood product, but Photoshop its so interactive that you'll have pages of screenshots, to cover 1-2 secs of video.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
You could consider KelbyOne, take the free trial and see what you think. Adobe also have lots of videos and tutorials but as Jack Straw says if you need to do something google it. The best way to learn is just practice and experiment. I use Lightroom 95% of the time and Photoshop for the more complex jobs, cloning and sizing.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
You could consider KelbyOne, take the free trial and see what you think. Adobe also have lots of videos and tutorials but as Jack Straw says if you need to do something google it. The best way to learn is just practice and experiment. I use Lightroom 95% of the time and Photoshop for the more complex jobs, cloning and sizing.

I just end up spending too much time finding a YT video that either isn't just music dubbed over screen grab and I end up no being able to see what they clicked in any given step or the video doesn't really cover what I need. i think I just want a print version of a step by step guide I guess

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'd just stick with VSCO or Adobe photo shop express - both free - to start with. Learn the basics first (I still am) before you go off into the real world of Lightroom and presets etc.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I bought this one for Lightroom 4 https://www.amazon.com/Lightroom-Streamlining-Digital-Photography-Process/dp/1118206177 Don't know if he's done an updated one. It was very useful to get an understanding of it all - but I rarely refer to it now, and just google what I want to know.

Otherwise, there's some pretty good magazines that give a grounding in the basics - WH Smiths usually has the widest stock.

Thanks for that I didn't think of magazines for some weird reason. Just picked an ideal one in there. I'll check that link later too. Appreciated!!!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I'd just stick with VSCO or Adobe photo shop express - both free - to start with. Learn the basics first (I still am) before you go off into the real world of Lightroom and presets etc.

Also good advice thanks :)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I'd actually go the other way and just get Lightroom. I hardly ever use Photoshop any more, as Lightroom does everything I want to do with my photos and is very intuitive. Photoshop is very heavy handed, but is good for creative stuff, but I can see Lightroom adding some of these features in the near future, too.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What I do is to watch the appropriate Youtube tutorial on my tv and follow the instructions whilst carrying out the process on my laptop, pausing and rewinding if necessary if I don't catch it first time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here