Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dealing with travellers the German way

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Certainly more humane than the gas chamber of old.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Didn't realise the Irish travelled to the Continent. Benefit of EU membership I guess

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Didn't realise the Irish travelled to the Continent. Benefit of EU membership I guess

These Irish travellers were on a pilgrimage wtf ?

[MENTION=509]Cian[/MENTION]

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
There were some at the Adur Rec for a week or so and left a 2-3 days ago. Left tons of rubbish and cr@p all over the Rec that the council workers had to spend hours cleaning up - paid for by us locals, not those pikey sc*m. Honestly can say that they are the lowest of the low.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
A solution would be to let them stop for say a week in pre-agreed areas. Put a skip on site at the start and charge each van a £100 clean up bond. If they leave it spotless they get their money back.
If they don't agree move them on.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
A solution would be to let them stop for say a week in pre-agreed areas. Put a skip on site at the start and charge each van a £100 clean up bond. If they leave it spotless they get their money back.
If they don't agree move them on.

Yep that's exactly how travellers work, smashing bunch who enjoy being told where they can pitch and pay fines etc..

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
These Irish travellers were on a pilgrimage wtf ?

[MENTION=509]Cian[/MENTION]

They insist to the death that they're not actually Irish but their own ethnicity and I'm quite willing to let them do so...

A lot of them have quite deep (but very selective) Catholic faith so pilgrimages wouldn't be out of the ordinary. "Thou shalt not steal" is ignored.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
And on Sompting Recreation Ground

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15467345.Anger_as_travellers____mess_shuts_playground/?ref=mrb&lp=5

A CHILDREN’S playground has been closed after it was covered with human excrement when travellers took over a recreation ground.

Adur and Worthing councils closed the play area in Sompting Recreation Ground in West Street, Sompting, Worthing, to clean it.

Travellers moved on to the council-owned field on Friday but moved on yesterday morning after being served a legal notice of eviction.

Workers spent yesterday cleaning the mass of mess and litter left on the field popular with children and dog walkers – days before a community festival there.

Repairs had to be made to the broken fence to re-secure the site and locks on the toilet block were replaced.

Residents said they were appalled by the chaos left by the travellers who parked 15 caravans on the recreation ground.

Phil Bigg, 72, of Rectory Farm Road, Sompting, said: “They first appeared last Friday afternoon and more came down my road on Tuesday evening.

“There were on quad bikes pulling wheelies and doing spins in the rec. The council were really quick in tidying up. It’s disgusting really.”

During the occupation of the field, residents complained about antisocial behaviour.

One resident in Peveril Road, Sompting, said she was too scared to walk her dog.

The 53-year-old said: “They were about 20 caravans all over the rec.

“I didn’t feel safe to walk my dog there and I was quite intimidated. There was a car driving around at high speed without any thought for people’s safety or the dog walkers.

“It was just a disgrace.”

When The Argus visited the site, car tracks could be seen all over the ground.

Other residents complained about being kept up by loud generators and children screaming in an area which has several bungalows with disabled and elderly residents.

Chris Servante, 57, of White Style Road, criticised Sussex Police’s response to the antisocial behaviour.

He said: “We had police here when the council served the eviction notice and there were four kids on quad bikes and nobody lifted a finger and the cars were doing it till three in the morning.”

A council spokesman said: “An unauthorised encampment of about 20 caravans and vehicles moved off Sompting Recreation Ground this morning after the police issued a section 61 order for them to leave the site.

“Our staff have been on site all day carrying out a clean-up operation.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and work with the local community to ensure the area is ready in time for the Sompting Splash festival this weekend.”

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Just can't believe there is no lobbying to make trespass a criminal offence. Councils must spend tens of millions of pounds every year cleaning up after these c**ts

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here