Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh gimbals!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Okay, wise people of NSC (and the rest of you), has anyone used a 3-axle gimbal with a Samsung S8 Plus ? Anyone have a model they recommend for a phone this large? Bear in mind I'm not looking to break the bank...

Thank you kindly.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What in Gods name is a 3 axel gimbal ? Sounds like a sexual torture device but I can't for the life of me work out why something like that would need to connect to a phone.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What in Gods name is a 3 axel gimbal ? Sounds like a sexual torture device but I can't for the life of me work out why something like that would need to connect to a phone.

If I told you that it's necessary to set the phone to vibrate mode first, would that aid your understanding of the possibilities?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I told you that it's necessary to set the phone to vibrate mode first, would that aid your understanding of the possibilities?

It would. I have a Samsung phone so all I need to do now is grab my favorite tipple and see what biscuits we have in the cupboard. Mrs W is in for a very BIG surprise !

Juan Albion

I've got my eye on the Zhiyun Z1. It's still not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than most. Not sure how big your phone is, but it's designed for 7" screens.

Yeah, I'm thinking that or the DJI OSMO, but I haven't found anywhere that comments on how well they work with an S8+.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I've got my eye on the Zhiyun Z1. It's still not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than most.

Are we signing him from China to tap into the lucrative Far Eastern Premier League market?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Yeah, I'm thinking that or the DJI OSMO, but I haven't found anywhere that comments on how well they work with an S8+.

The OSMO would be my choice but it's almost twice as much. I'v not researched this topic in a while, but just seen that there is now a Zhiyun Smooth Q which is £100 and 'rivals' the DJI OSMO which I think is still about £300 for the mobile one.

The Smooth Q can take a maximum payload of 220 grams. My iPhone 7+ is under that at about 190grams. Think I might take a punt on it.

Juan Albion

The OSMO would be my choice but it's almost twice as much. I'v not researched this topic in a while, but just seen that there is now a Zhiyun Smooth Q which is £100 and 'rivals' the DJI OSMO which I think is still about £300 for the mobile one.

The Smooth Q can take a maximum payload of 220 grams. My iPhone 7+ is under that at about 190grams. Think I might take a punt on it.

Luckily I pay in dollars. UK prices are always a rip off for technology.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here