Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Governing Bodies

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems there are endless bad stories about a lot of them. FIFA, UCI and IAAF in particular often stealing all the headlines.

The latest being the IAAF's handling of the Makwala sickness incident for example, which has turned into a bit of a fiasco.

Any particularly good ones out there we should be shouting about, or is good news just not news?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's only a fiasco because Gabby Logan and the athletes union commentating on BBC have made it one.

Do you think the IAAF have handled it well then?, because I don't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wheres the fiasco: he was ill on Monday, he was barred from competing according to established rules.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
wheres the fiasco: he was ill on Monday, he was barred from competing according to established rules.

But they're not established rules are they. It's a first I think and is following guidelines, not rules, in the host country.

It also appears another athlete collapsed yet was allowed to continue in competition without establishing what caused that athlete to collapse.

But aside from the wrongs and rights, and I fully accept the IAAF is just trying to do it's best to contain an outbreak and stop it spreading to other athletes, their communication has been poor by not going into more detail and being clear right from the off.

In cycling bugs go through teams in the peloton all the time. They all ride in very close proximity to each other yet the UCI leave it to the riders and the teams themselves to decide who is fit to ride or not.

But they're not established rules are they. It's a first I think and is following guidelines, not rules, in the host country.

It also appears another athlete collapsed yet was allowed to continue in competition without establishing what caused that athlete to collapse.

But aside from the wrongs and rights, and I fully accept the IAAF is just trying to do it's best to contain an outbreak and stop it spreading to other athletes, their communication has been poor by not going into more detail and being clear right from the off.

In cycling bugs go through teams in the peloton all the time. They all ride in very close proximity to each other yet the UCI leave it to the riders and the teams themselves to decide who is fit to ride or not.

Hurrah for cycling. What a we'll run sport that is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hurrah for cycling. What a we'll run sport that is.

You must have missed who I name checked right after FIFA in the opening post.

Anyway, any good stories to share? That's what I'm keen to hear to balance out the bad news.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so that is the fiasco, not the Makwala incident. its only a first because he chose to disregard the quarantine, declare himself fit and attempt to run. apparently its not uncommon to have illness and quarantines at sports events, Seb Coe was writing today that he was sent home from some Commonwealth games due to broncial infection. this is more about media stirring in the silly season, and its a sad inditement about atheltics that this and the Gatlin/Bolt story are the only things of interest.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He had the shits :shrug:

(Personally, that always motivates me to run 200m faster than I would otherwise).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

In comparison to Vernon Philander in the Oval Test who was on and off the field then in hospital on a drip but back on the field the next day so certainly not a country rule just guidance

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
so that is the fiasco, not the Makwala incident. its only a first because he chose to disregard the quarantine, declare himself fit and attempt to run. apparently its not uncommon to have illness and quarantines at sports events, Seb Coe was writing today that he was sent home from some Commonwealth games due to broncial infection. this is more about media stirring in the silly season, and its a sad inditement about atheltics that this and the Gatlin/Bolt story are the only things of interest.

Who sent Coe home? IAAF or team GB doctors?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here