Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Francisco

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Hi all

Have often taken loads of good ideas from New York and other city travel threads in the past from the knowledgeable crowd on here. So was surprised that a quick search didn't find a similar one for San Francisco.

Heading out next Sunday for 5 days before driving down to Vegas via LA etc.

So.. San Francisco things to do, recommendations restaurants and bars etc? Anything good that isn't in the guide books?

Cheers

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Cut SF down to 2 days and spend the extra 3 checking out some amazing sights and towns on the drive down to LA.

That was the plan, but half of the Pacific coast highway is cut off due to a collapsed Bridge through big sur etc, so you can't get to it currently!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Was there a few years ago and was a bit disappointed, to be honest.
OK, the weather wasn't brilliant but it could be such a beautiful city if it wasn't so full of rubbish. It was pretty filthy. Plus loads of druggies sitting in doorways.

Loved the Golden Gate bridge, very impressive, but the rest of it was a bit meh!

Hope it's got better since we were there and hope you enjoy your stay, but as Stoneham Park says, 2 days will probably be enough.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Alcatraz & the Anchor Steam brewery were the best day trips I did when I was in town.

Tip: Book the Alcatraz trip in advance as they fill pretty quickly.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Spend as little time as possible in LA.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
HTML:
Two days should do it. Just don't buy some very strong acid off a random guy on Haight Street one lunchtime when you've got to meet some friends you haven't seen for years a few hours later down at Fisherman's Wharf on the other side of town and the kerbs keep moving every time you try to step off them to cross the road.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Was there last October.

Trips to Sausalito and Tiburon were well worth it. We drove and parked and found some great eateries. Over the Golden Gate bridge and up into the hills on the left for some stunning views of the Bay/Bridge. Alcatraz was excellent and if it is your thing a trip out to John Muir woods to see the Redwood Trees was superb. Other than that normal things like the piers, fishermans wharf and a drive/walk down the windy street "Lombard Street" is pretty cool.

As just mentioned as well a stop over in Santa Barbara is a must in my opinion as well.

Stewie

Feb 22, 2009
We went earlier this year, but probably don't have much outside the guide books for you as we were only there a couple of days. Alcatraz needs to be booked in advance otherwise you won't get there. Hire a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, then he'd up to Battery Spencer for some amazing pictures. We went to the baseball and sat in the top tier as it gives you some great views of the bay.

If your planning on travelling down the coast to LA check that the coast road is open as route one was closed earlier in the year due to a land slide somewhere around big sur. We stayed for a night in Monterey and a night in Morro Bay, both were really nice. I would also recommend spending the $10 to drive 17 mile drive just south of Monterrey if you get the time.

Hang out in Haight-Ashbury for an afternoon to see where the hippies were born, check out what's on at the Castro Theatre which is nearby

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Was there a few years ago and was a bit disappointed, to be honest.
OK, the weather wasn't brilliant but it could be such a beautiful city if it wasn't so full of rubbish. It was pretty filthy. Plus loads of druggies sitting in doorways.

Loved the Golden Gate bridge, very impressive, but the rest of it was a bit meh!

Hope it's got better since we were there and hope you enjoy your stay, but as Stoneham Park says, 2 days will probably be enough.

Sums up my experience in SF.
Walk across the bridge, take some photos.
Take a speedboat tour to (or around) Alcatraz.
Walk up some hilly streets.
Check out the hippy scene.
Take a 3 hour open top bus tour around the city.
Get out of SF.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I would also recommend spending the $10 to drive 17 mile drive just south of Monterrey if you get the time.
That's Carmel and Pebble Beach, started the night in Carmel beautiful town and if you love golf you can't miss pebble beach. Go onto the beach via Carmel and turn right, bloody awesome. The drive is breath-taking.

Alcatraz, as someone else said book very early online direct with the tour company not another 3rd party as they charge more. If you don't get one, go down on the day and try to get a ticket that day, they hold some back. I got lucky as they ran out but let me buy one for the next day, even though they say they don't do this.

Nothing else there in San Fran assist from fisherman's wharf. Very disappointed in it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Go there every year on the way to my work HQ, always good for 1-2 nights but would struggle beyond that. I really like it as a city though. Nice to have an American city with a bit of culture. Some good restaurants, good bars. Nice and easy to walk around.

It can be a bit dirty and druggy but didn't think it was as bad as some places - inc Brighton !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here