Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm delighted by our transfer business and strategy

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I'm one of these people who would be amongst the first to moan if I didn't approve of the way the club goes about its business - indeed I do, where I feel we're off the mark (e.g. the policy of a few years ago of getting promoted on the cheap via loans) or where I feel the club take fans as mugs (pies and beers for players anyone?)

But I have to say that the club's transfer policy this year feels excellent, and puts us in the best possible position to stay up, without compromising club finances excessively.

Each signing feels well research and thought through, and adds quality to areas of the park where we are short. I'm also confident that the club are getting value for money - the signings are effective for their price in this market. I look at Newcastle, who have spent £12m on a good second-tier winger (Jacob Murphy), and smile at the thought of us paying no more on a player who is recently capped by Holland and played Champions League football.

The three players we are reported to be after - a new back-up goalkeeper, a full-back and a striker seem spot on too. I'm sure we'll get good players in, at a reasonable price, in these positions.

Up the Albion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm one of these people who would be amongst the first to moan if I didn't approve of the way the club goes about its business - indeed I do, where I feel we're off the mark (e.g. the policy of a few years ago of getting promoted on the cheap via loans)
Like Huddersfield just did.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I'm in agreement as long as we bring in the striker we desperately crave before the transfer window closes.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm happy with what we've got as I believe we've strengthened. However, I'm still slightly worried by the fact we've not secured a striker. The news article about Tony prepared to splash the cash is a bit worrying as it appears we've spent too long looking for cheap targets. You'll always pay a premium for strikers, we should have swallowed that pill sooner. The arrival of Propper means we need a pacy striker, given we look like we're playing a 4-2-3-1 or an adaption - they're expensive. We should have just done that sooner and allowed them time to adapt.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking very good so far.

The striker slightly concerns me as most of the 'rumours' have been underwhelming.... but they are probably not true anyway...

:albion2:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm happy too - although I always tend to give the club the benefit of the doubt.

I've seen so many teams go up, buy a new squad, and get relegated. I always think the teams that have a good worth ethic and team spirit tend so do well in the relegation dogfight. Adding a little bit of quality here and there - where we need it - actually puts us in a better place than free-spending lower-half teams. We need to stay up for a few seasons with a smart recruitment policy before we ever consider going to mental on the transfer fees.

Really pleased with the recruitment. Everybody, club included, wants to land a striker. Lets hope we can find one that ticks all the boxes, and we don't just buy for the sake of it.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm happy with what we've got as I believe we've strengthened. However, I'm still slightly worried by the fact we've not secured a striker. The news article about Tony prepared to splash the cash is a bit worrying as it appears we've spent too long looking for cheap targets. You'll always pay a premium for strikers, we should have swallowed that pill sooner. The arrival of Propper means we need a pacy striker, given we look like we're playing a 4-2-3-1 or an adaption - they're expensive. We should have just done that sooner and allowed them time to adapt.

Strikers are few and far between and the ones that are available will be in demand by many clubs. We are at the bottom, or very cloe to it, of the pecking order for places a striker will want to go to or the deal we can offer them.

A striker will be deadline day if not close to it, so patience is required.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Looking very good so far.

The striker slightly concerns me as most of the 'rumours' have been underwhelming.... but they are probably not true anyway...

Yeah I really don't worry about the rumours. General rule of thumb as far as I can see is : if we've seen a rumour then it probably isn't happening.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You'd rather we'd pursued that route?
I'd like to do whatever works. It worked for us somewhat, we had Murry and Pocognoli on loan, Tomori helped us out in the end too. If we can't buy a great striker but can get one on load, then I'd still like them here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"excellent" seems a optimist appraisal when the two priorities (full back and striker) remain unfulfilled days before start of the season. i sense we maybe relying on goals from midfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are at the bottom, or very cloe to it, of the pecking order for places a striker will want to go to or the deal we can offer them.
I don't agree. We're not a top PL side or even one of the middle ones, but outside of them we should be as attractive as the others. We have better facilities than most, it's clear that the existing players like it here, we have an established setup and manager who is universally liked. A striker joining us can be confident about what they're joining, whereas some other teams have new managers and don't know what it's going to be like. We should also be able to pay as much as other clubs in the bottom half of the division, which is a lot more than clubs outside the PL.

A striker will be deadline day if not close to it, so patience is required.
It may well be, but we become a bit more desperate then and could end up spending more.

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I'd like to do whatever works. It worked for us somewhat, we had Murry and Pocognoli on loan, Tomori helped us out in the end too. If we can't buy a great striker but can get one on load, then I'd still like them here.

I'm talking about the policy of a few years back re. 5/6 loanees fella

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Delighted is not a word I would use, but I agree that canny moves have been made, and with a few more before the window shuts, we will be in pretty good shape.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I don't agree. We're not a top PL side or even one of the middle ones, but outside of them we should be as attractive as the others. We have better facilities than most, it's clear that the existing players like it here, we have an established setup and manager who is universally liked. A striker joining us can be confident about what they're joining, whereas some other teams have new managers and don't know what it's going to be like. We should also be able to pay as much as other clubs in the bottom half of the division, which is a lot more than clubs outside the PL.

A striker joining us can be confident about what they're joining - agreed a team widely tipped by almost everyone for instant relegation

We should also be able to pay as much as other clubs in the bottom half of the division - no we can't, we are not established and cannot afford the risk. Witness what B'muff can spend now, we are not in their spending league or others in the bottom half.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm one of these people who would be amongst the first to moan if I didn't approve of the way the club goes about its business - indeed I do, where I feel we're off the mark (e.g. the policy of a few years ago of getting promoted on the cheap via loans) or where I feel the club take fans as mugs (pies and beers for players anyone?)

But I have to say that the club's transfer policy this year feels excellent, and puts us in the best possible position to stay up, without compromising club finances excessively.

Each signing feels well research and thought through, and adds quality to areas of the park where we are short. I'm also confident that the club are getting value for money - the signings are effective for their price in this market. I look at Newcastle, who have spent £12m on a good second-tier winger (Jacob Murphy), and smile at the thought of us paying no more on a player who is recently capped by Holland and played Champions League football.

The three players we are reported to be after - a new back-up goalkeeper, a full-back and a striker seem spot on too. I'm sure we'll get good players in, at a reasonable price, in these positions.

Up the Albion.

Spot on, very rarely does a club get promoted and last more than 2 seasons. Our aim has to be to become an established premier league side capable of competing for a European spot. Many sides have thrown money at transfers in the hope to develop and improve which ends in relegation and in some cases results in financially crippling the club. I'm very happy to stay within our budget and possibly yo-yo before we cement a place for many years to come

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here