Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant recommendations

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Evening all.

Its mine and Mrs Spongys 1st wedding anniversary later this month.

We're not doing anything fancy as we have a 3yo daughter which means we can't really get away.

We've decided we would like to try a good restaurant in Brighton as we don't really get to go out and eat very often at all so would like to try somewhere with a good reputation.

She has already decided she wants a good Sea Bass. So we're looking at giving a seafood restaurant a go. But no idea on any or which one to choose.

English's is a possibility but never eaten there.

Riddle and Finns (either of them) doesn't have Sea Bass on their menus....

Any other options to try or recommendations that anyone could make, I personally like the normal seafood choices, (mussels, crab, lobster, scallops and fish wise I like cod, huss, sea bass, swordfish steak) i don't like fishy fish like mackerel, sardines etc but that's all I've ever really tried so I would like a recommendation as to what fish for me to try, I've heard monkfish is good but never had the balls to try it as it's an expensive mistake to make.

Any recommendations please for restaurants and dishes?

Thanks!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
A place I like is the Limetree Kitchen in Lewes...ok - not in Brighton, but can be combined with some lovely pubs, and is only a few hundred metres from the station.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Congrats Spongy :thumbsup:

Don't know anywhere in Brighton specifically, but if Worthing is an option, I went to Amibistro on Rowlands Road the other day and they did a gorgeous sea bass. Just FYI.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The Gingerman in Norfolk Square is in my book, the best restaurant in Brighton or Hove at the moment. They usually have one fish option for a main course. Not cheap, but not extortionate. You'll need to book.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Jetty on the corner of West St and seafront was excellent the first time I went. Second time cooking was also good but portions smaller. Might well have bass as catch of the day.

http://www.brighton-harbour-hotel.co.uk/dining/the-jetty-brighton/

If you really want to break the bank Salt Rooms are excellent.

https://www.saltroom-restaurant.co.uk/menus/a-la-carte-menu

Little Fish Market is bloody brilliant but you'll need an advanced booking and they only do a set menu.

Generally getting seabass on a menu at a good place will depend if anyone's caught any good ones reasonably locally. I'd go to a fish restaurant with a much more open mind because the best tasting fish on the menu are the freshest ones.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
In terms of fish restaurants can't beat GB1, closely followed by Riddle & Finns ( beach)

Gb1 sounds great, I shall suggest it to her and see what she says.
Congrats Spongy :thumbsup:

Don't know anywhere in Brighton specifically, but if Worthing is an option, I went to Amibistro on Rowlands Road the other day and they did a gorgeous sea bass. Just FYI.

We've only got an evening from 6pm, living in Hassocks ideally we want to just jump on a quick train ride. But cheers anyway.

The Gingerman in Norfolk Square is in my book, the best restaurant in Brighton or Hove at the moment. They usually have one fish option for a main course. Not cheap, but not extortionate. You'll need to book.

Never heard of The Gingerman but I shall check it out.

The Jetty on the corner of West St and seafront was excellent the first time I went. Second time cooking was also good but portions smaller. Might well have bass as catch of the day.

http://www.brighton-harbour-hotel.co.uk/dining/the-jetty-brighton/

If you really want to break the bank Salt Rooms are excellent.

https://www.saltroom-restaurant.co.uk/menus/a-la-carte-menu

Little Fish Market is bloody brilliant but you'll need an advanced booking and they only do a set menu.

Generally getting seabass on a menu at a good place will depend if anyone's caught any good ones reasonably locally. I'd go to a fish restaurant with a much more open mind because the best tasting fish on the menu are the freshest ones.

I've only ever heard good things about The Salt Rooms. The other two sound interesting. Thanks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Congratulations!

I can't offer much more I'm afraid.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you like shellfish I can recommend a fruit de mer from the fishmongers in Shoreham. Phone your order through and collect. They come on ice and seaweed in a polystyrene boat and should be fine to get back to Hassocks. Provide your own wine, save on taxis and babysitters, should save enough for lobster. Sea Bass is also easy to cook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Congrats. If your wife does insist on sea bass, you'll have to go to a restaurant that has a wide choice of fish on the menu. The Salt Room is the best option in that case. Not cheap, but mightily impressive. Even better, if you go on a Monday, you can BYO bottle (or two), and they'll only charge you a fiver for the privilege.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's a photo of a seabass I had the other week though.

Attachments

• IMG_7561.JPG
    IMG_7561.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 126

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Actually the Salt rooms looks nice inside but the food is nothing special, ok but very expensive for what it is. Not a patch on Etch .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fish shack ? Recognise that potato / salad thing anywhere !

Bingo! Yes it is. It's a lovely place isn't it? I love eating there as the sun sets after a day on the beach.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bingo! Yes it is. It's a lovely place isn't it? I love eating there as the sun sets after a day on the beach.

The best. Unfortunately didn't make it last year as I had lost my appetite big time... hoping to go back this year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here