Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The family and I are overwhelmed by the kindness and support shown to us after Ed's recent death. So many wonderful messages, so many lovely people who turned out to bid him farewell at the funeral and so much love shown to us. The NSC thread is just wonderful and that NSC shut down in his honour during the funeral was a wonderful tribute. He was, indeed, the 'Father of The House', wasn't he?

We may be sad (and we are) but we are also lucky. Lucky to have had Ed in our lives as a husband, father, stepfather and grandfather and lucky to have the legacies he leaves behind for others too. Not just one, but several. He's simply irreplaceable.

I'd love to answer all your messages. Please forgive me if this takes a little while. But we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

And now, as we take the next journey into the Premier League, here's Lord B on another hugely significant journey - to the first game at the Amex.

p52307942-2.jpg

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Wonderful words, wonderful picture, many of us Brighton fans owe him A LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Crikey. Got some grit in my eye. I didn't know Ed but it's clear that he's a major part of where we are now. The tributes on here have been fitting for someone who was clearly an Albion hero.

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
His legacy is there for us to visit & enjoy every home game.

Perhaps they could name a bar after him too? WSL was where I often saw him after the games.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
His legacy is there for us to visit & enjoy every home game.

Perhaps they could name a bar after him too? WSL was where I often saw him after the games.

I feel impoverished because I never met this clearly loved and well-respected man. This suggestion by Freddie Goodwin would be a fitting tribute if his family agree to it, supplemented if possible with some photographs and a narrative of why he was such an immense force in the cause of our Club. That way, it would be more than a name above a bar, it would let future generations of fans appreciate his worth and why we (let alone his poor family) feel his loss so keenly.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The family and I are overwhelmed by the kindness and support shown to us after Ed's recent death. So many wonderful messages, so many lovely people who turned out to bid him farewell at the funeral and so much love shown to us. The NSC thread is just wonderful and that NSC shut down in his honour during the funeral was a wonderful tribute. He was, indeed, the 'Father of The House', wasn't he?

We may be sad (and we are) but we are also lucky. Lucky to have had Ed in our lives as a husband, father, stepfather and grandfather and lucky to have the legacies he leaves behind for others too. Not just one, but several. He's simply irreplaceable.

I'd love to answer all your messages. Please forgive me if this takes a little while. But we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

And now, as we take the next journey into the Premier League, here's Lord B on another hugely significant journey - to the first game at the Amex.

p52307942-2.jpg

Beautiful words and a perfect picture.

And that is how I am going to remember the Lord Bracknell I knew - happy, smiling, decked out in blue and white and on a bus travelling through the South Downs, full of hope, optimism and anticipation for what lies ahead.

God bless you Ed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Hi Roz. Friday's was a lovely service and did Ed (not to mention you and the family) proud.

It's been fantastic to see the vast outpouring of admiration for the Bearded Maestro on here, and as for closing NSC down during his funeral: it was, frankly, the absolute least he deserved, for all his service, advocacy and friendship over the years.

Ed will always be a part of NSC :)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Thanks for this, Roz. I'm just sorry I couldn't make the funeral, because of a prior commitment. I got to know the two of you through the Falmer battle, and your little local difficulty with a certain lady from Lewes - remember the avatars? I was also privileged to spend a morning with Ed at the public enquiry, and to share the same Amex presentation as you. I will also never forget the time when Ed came up to Seagulls over London to present the various stadium options. He then asked us to consider all the options and come up with our best, and we chose...Waterhall. Anyway, RIP Ed, and my condolences to you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bassfords or Bracknells Bar would be a great name

If not a bar, then maybe a limited edition tribute ale, from Ed's beloved Harveys brewery. They already do a Bonfire Boy ale and they've also done an Albion Ale. Seems to me that either of those (or both) would lend themselves admirably to a suitably designed label. That way we could toast Sir Lord Bracknell in a manner that he would have thoroughly approved of! :cheers:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I don't usually attend funerals outside of close family as I get incredibly upset as I find them very hard to take. Something inside me on this occasion said "Go". So I went. The Power of Ed? Look after yourself Roz.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Can't claim to have known Ed personally, although I did meet him a couple of times, and he came across in the flesh as he came across on here. I had far more dealings with him across cyberspace. A true gent, Albion through and through, and a key part of a group of guys to whom we owe so much. We all know who they are, and it brings tears to my eyes that we have lost some of them just short of walking out in the Premier League. It's been an incredibly long and arduous road back to the top table of English football, and to steal a phrase from another battle .... Never has so much been owed by so many to so few.

Ok, maybe not "Never" but you get the sentiment. This club could so easily not be here at all. Losing Paul Whelch, was a real body blow earlier this year, but to lose Ed / Lord B as well, at this time when every Brighton fan should be jubilant and not sad, is a very cruel twist of fate.

Your loss must be huge Lady B, you had an absolute star there. Grieve your loss, but be grateful for memories. I can't imagine how much everyone in your family must have benefited from having him around them. We had just a piece of his time, and he had such a marked impact.

I'll be raising quite a few glasses this season to friends who haven't quite made it to see us back at the top table. RIP Ed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Moderators:

Any possibility that this thread could also find it's way over to 'Gold' please?

Thanks

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Literally just found this in the depths of my mobile phone pics. I bought Ed a pint of Harveys in Dicks once - the table wasn't on the piss, but something clearly was. One of those plastic "Leaning Tower of Pisa" pints I guess, that we puzzled over briefly.

Needless to say, it didn't go to waste. Top, top man.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here