Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion hero Steve Foster reflects on scars of the past

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Never saw him or Jimmy Case the first time around but on their returns, despite having no legs, it was a privilege to see them strolling around the pitch controlling the game - still a class apart from those other players around them half their age.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Fozzy was a rock, I think Tony Grealish wore a headband when he walked out at Wembley in his honour (or did I just make that up)

Fozzy was a rock, I think Tony Grealish wore a headband when he walked out at Wembley in his honour (or did I just make that up)

Yes he did. Foster was suspended for the final but came back for the replay.

I was never Fosters greatest fan, decent player but no more IMO.

But he did have the ability to get into position early by judging exactly what where a goalkeeper kick out (none of that roll it to the full back malarkey in those days!); and being strong it meant he won the majority of headers. Not because he was a brilliant header of the ball but because he got to the right spot first and the opponents couldn't get a run on the ball.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Never saw him or Jimmy Case the first time around but on their returns, despite having no legs, it was a privilege to see them strolling around the pitch controlling the game - still a class apart from those other players around them half their age.

Foster was excellent on his return but Case was way off the pace and embarrassing to watch.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My favourite memory of Fozzie was at the City Ground when we took their long unbeaten record.
Gerry Ryan squeezed a goal in about the twelfth minute and from then until the end Fozzie played them on his own
They threw everything at us, particularly John Robertson chucking crosses over time after time.
But Fozzie dealt with every one.
It was fanbloodytastic
They say "Legend" is an over used term, but this not where this guy is concerned :bowdown:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Great player for the club in all his spells. Underrated too, read the game well to compensate for not being the quickest on his feet.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"Still a fan, Foster says: 'This is a proper football town, people don’t realise that'"

This wins it for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He helped make Mark Lawrenson and Gary Streven better defenders as they only had to concern themselves with their game on the floor as he dealt with all long balls into the box thus releasing them from that task.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd say Shane Duffy is the closest to Fozzie we've had since his heyday. Get past him on the ground and that was the end of it, but he'd smash through a brick wall to win a header. Great at what he did and a really commanding leader. Still remember being distraught when he was flogged to Villa.

Still see him around in central Hove a lot.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
When Fozzie headed the ball you just knew it was going to the halfway line, and breathing space.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Great player, just a shame he had to blot his copy book with his ridiculous takeover attempt aided by his very dodgy business partner.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still chuckle at the memory of him deliberately standing on Paul Walsh's ankle early in a game against Portsmouth, thus eliminating (he went off injured) the threat of their best player. He could be nasty when required!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was at his first game back, Orient away (?).
After about 20 minutes some old grandad in front of us, turned around and said:-

'that new centre back looks just like a lad we had playing for us, donkeys years ago'.
'It's the same bloke'.
'Oh'.

:lolol: :bowdown: :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Loved Steve Foster. Great player. One of the very best ever had at the club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of my three favourite ever players, along with Nelson and Zamora (just too young to have seen Ward in his prime).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here