Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wladimir Klitschko retires

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I caught the second half of the Joshua / Klitschko fight the other day and - boy - what a fight that was!

I think Klitschko has made the right call - he's much older than Joshua, not as focused on his boxing, he put in a respectable performance at Wembley and can bow out with his head held high. Boxing has given him that global exposure and he can do anything he wants now. And does this make a Joshua vs Fury fight more likely?...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
And does this make a Joshua vs Fury fight more likely?...

The last I heard, Fury has retired again. Obviously you have to take into account his bipolar disorder when these announcements are made by him, but it does look very unlikely Fury will ever box again. I just can't ever see him being back in the shape he was when he beat Klitschko. Sad really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We should never overlook an opportunity to show him and his wife. As an aside these photos look vaguely similar to the ones of me and the Frau on holiday last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 327

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well, there's a surprise! Why would he want to take another pasting? He could have got seriously hurt next time.

Sadly, I don't think there are going to be many wanting to take AJ on. He is just too good.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Well, there's a surprise! Why would he want to take another pasting? He could have got seriously hurt next time.

Sadly, I don't think there are going to be many wanting to take AJ on. He is just too good.

Are you for real? He had Joshua beat at one point in the fight.
He bowed out at the top he would still beat every other heavyweight currently active bar Joshua.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Are you for real? He had Joshua beat at one point in the fight.
He bowed out at the top he would still beat every other heavyweight currently active bar Joshua.

Agreed. I actually thought WK would've beaten him in the rematch through targeting AJ's lack of head movement. That's how WK managed to knock him down last time. Had he been more ruthless at that point, I think he would've won.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he realized he was well beaten and didnt have anything different to give if the rematch took place. The problem is that there is nobody anywhere near capable of beating AJ at the moment so he will have trouble getting meaningfull fights

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think that he realized he was well beaten and didnt have anything different to give if the rematch took place. The problem is that there is nobody anywhere near capable of beating AJ at the moment so he will have trouble getting meaningfull fights

Deontay Wilder?
Ortiz?
The winner of Hughie Fury v Parker?
Dubois (in a few years)?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Well beaten? It was probably the best heavyweight fight for years and Klitschkos best performance in about a decade.
He has nothing to prove to nobody, has dominated the division for years.
Too many boxers fight on well beyond their sell by date, fair play to him for bowing out when he has.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well beaten ? I'd say he had Joshua beat in that fight, but for some reason didn't press forward when Joshua was almost out on his feet for 2 rounds. Joshua regrouped, then clumped him with that EPIC uppercut, and that was that. But it was an incredibly close fight and a tough one to call had it gone the distance (I think the judges were split at the time of the KO).

Fair play to WK for bowing out though. He could easily have gone for another money-spinner, as a sequel to that fight would've been huge. He retires following one of the best heavyweight battles in recent years.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
None of those at the moment are good enough to trouble AJ.

Considering Dillian Whyte had him stunned and Klitschko knocked him down, It seems all it takes is a clean shot on his chin from a big puncher and AJ is in big trouble. Taking into account AJ's poor head movement, you can't rule out any of the above fighters having a chance against him. Even Dillian Whyte has a chance hence the rematch talk!

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Considering Dillian Whyte had him stunned and Klitschko knocked him down, It seems all it takes is a clean shot on his chin from a big puncher and AJ is in big trouble. Taking into account AJ's poor head movement, you can't rule out any of the above fighters having a chance against him. Even Dillian Whyte has a chance hence the rematch talk!

Anyone has a chance against anyone in the heavyweight division - you don't even need to be a big puncher . AJ's chin has more than proved itself in the two fights you have referenced there. If he does ever come unstuck - and he could well do - then I would expect him to avenge it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here