Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UPVC Double glazing window repair required

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have a broken mechanism on a double glazed window, and the window won't shut, so we need a repair person asap.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Always handy to state what area you live, can recommend someone but as its a very small job he won't travel miles.

Your location says Goldstone, apollogies if you actually do live in that area.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you all for the recommendations.

Unfortunately, I'm now a bit irritated.
One company (no names please) came to give me a quote. While here, they spent 10 mins to removed the hinges and shut the window so that it's not draughty (wasn't really a security risk as it's at the front on the 2nd floor), which was good.

They've now sent a quote of £115 standard hinge replacement fee, + their standard call out fee of £35.
But I didn't call them out to do a temp fix, I called them out for a free quote. So since they were here giving me a quote, I don't really expect to pay another £35 for 10 minutes work. If they'd told me on the spot that it would be £115 to replace, and £35 now to just get it shut, I'd have declined the £35 option and just waited until it was fixed, whether with them or not.

I've since had another quote of £90 to replace the hinges. So that's £60 less than I'd be paying the first company (but without 10 mins shutting the window when the quote was given).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

One company (no names please) came to give me a quote. While here, they spent 10 mins to removed the hinges and shut the window so that it's not draughty (wasn't really a security risk as it's at the front on the 2nd floor), which was good.

Why would you not name a company that carries out 'work' like this?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Not sure which type of hinge you require but take a look on screwfix to see if what they supply are the same as they sell various sizes and are very cheap to buy and even easier to fit Trig.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

They've now sent a quote of £115 standard hinge replacement fee, + their standard call out fee of £35.
But I didn't call them out to do a temp fix, I called them out for a free quote. So since they were here giving me a quote, I don't really expect to pay another £35 for 10 minutes work. If they'd told me on the spot that it would be £115 to replace, and £35 now to just get it shut, I'd have declined the £35 option and just waited until it was fixed, whether with them or not.

I've since had another quote of £90 to replace the hinges. So that's £60 less than I'd be paying the first company (but without 10 mins shutting the window when the quote was given).

If you just need to replace the hinges it's an hours work at most even for a novice. Hinges cost between £5-£10 depending on the size and brand so it should just be a case of removing the old and screwing in the new. Definitely don't pay for the temporary fix. And work that requires payment should be agreed before proceeding. This is just bully tactics

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would you not name a company that carries out 'work' like this?
Because before slagging a company off I want to be sure that I'm not being unreasonable. I accept that running a business is expensive, so I don't expect people to come and fix things for a few pounds, and even if something is just an hours work, I wouldn't expect that to be £30 when they have a business to run.

But if he was coming to give me a quote and was getting the work, I don't think an extra 10 minutes should be another £35.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you just need to replace the hinges it's an hours work at most even for a novice. Hinges cost between £5-£10 depending on the size and brand so it should just be a case of removing the old and screwing in the new. Definitely don't pay for the temporary fix. And work that requires payment should be agreed before proceeding. This is just bully tactics
Thanks.
Looks easy enough, although the window is a hell of a lot heavier than that. The guys that closed it took the glass out before taking the hinges off. Not sure how, but I imagine it's not too tricky.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what does NSC think I should say to the company that secured my window?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because before slagging a company off I want to be sure that I'm not being unreasonable. I accept that running a business is expensive, so I don't expect people to come and fix things for a few pounds, and even if something is just an hours work, I wouldn't expect that to be £30 when they have a business to run.

But if he was coming to give me a quote and was getting the work, I don't think an extra 10 minutes should be another £35.

Sounds like a good way to get paid to do a ' free estimate '

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here