Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holding up the Shirt - Why do they do it?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Whenever a new player signs, the newcomer is inevitably pictured gurning at the camera and holding an Albion shirt aloft. Yes, yes, we do know which club the player has joined – and we do realise the name isn't actually on the back just now. But why on earth do this at all? It's the laziest, most pointless photo-cliché around, but every club robotically follows this same, dreary formula.

Today's victim is someone called Fliss Gibbons, in a shot reminiscent of those old soap powder commercials. "Thanks to new-formula Daz, the white bits on my Albion shirt still look sparkling new - even after 20 washes!"

For pity's sake! Surely the highly talented BHA Snappy can do much better than this! But what? Any suggestions?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You clearly don't get the NSC etiquette here - "He's not our player until the holding up shirt photo is released" how else can we know for sure

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
In the old days you got a picture of the player sitting at a desk signing his contract with the manager standing over him to make sure he filled it in correctly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wouldn't mind seeing a few with shirt being held in the next few days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the old days you got a picture of the player sitting at a desk signing his contract with the manager standing over him to make sure he filled it in correctly.

And sometimes wearing a lovely chunky sweater

54ualc.jpg

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Prefer it to all the other stupid announcements there has been this season.

What other way is there of doing it? Used to be holding the scarf up, but with shirts to sell I guess this is a way of killing two birds with one stone. They would look pretty weird just standing there doing nothing.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
For pity's sake! Surely the highly talented BHA Snappy can do much better than this! But what? Any suggestions?

The new player should be required to capture a live 'Seagull' (Herring Gull) and then pose for the camera shot whilst holding the constrained avian.

That would show true commitment to the club.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe they could use a picture of them collecting their security pass, or being shown where the stationery cupboard is. That's what the first day at a new job normally involves.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

My favourite was when it was a really BIG signing, that scene would be played out ON THE PITCH.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I thing we should adopt the Newcastle approach and go with the player lying in bed under a club duvet set.

Newc-side-min.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Standing on the pier in flared trousers spoking a cigar please.

Or alternatively picking up their sponsored car from a local dealership.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here