Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray and discipline

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
At the end of last season I was concerned every game about Murray getting sent off. I don't know why it worried me so much, but in every game I watched his off the ball little pushes and shoves we're becoming more obvious. It only needs a stringent and alert referee and he will be a real risk. In the premier league the referees are likely to be more alert and less tolerant. If he gets even couple of sendings off in key games that could really damage our chances of staying up.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Personally, didn't see it as a major concern. Yes he is a bit niggly at times and can lose him temper but once he's on a booking he tends to tone down the complaining a bit. Good to see he still has a bit of bite imo.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Don't see the issue myself. He's a wily old fox, trying to niggle and wind up opponents at times, but equally he seems to know how far to push it.

On my list of concerns for this season, this one is not getting anywhere near the first page.

I seem to remember I saw a stat last season saying he committed more fouls than anyone else in the Championship? Or maybe more than any other striker I don't know, I just remember I saw something about the number of fouls

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
23 goals in the championship, l'd say just carry on what you're doing! Niggle the defenses, draw them to make fouls and rile them up! He might pick up a few yellows and the occasional red but that's the type a player he is. You need someone with a bit of an edge in his position who gives as good as he gets

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't blame him for what he did against Girona. Bit harsh for the player on the receiving end but the officiating was beyond a joke, genuinely embarrassing.

I take your point generally but I think that is how Murray plays best. In the faces of the defenders, constantly looking for any small advantage. He's usually very good at it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He is experienced and know what he can get away with

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He can sometimes push it a bit, he's not quite as nasty as he used to be.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I seem to remember I saw a stat last season saying he committed more fouls than anyone else in the Championship? Or maybe more than any other striker I don't know, I just remember I saw something about the number of fouls
You remembered correctly, and it was out of all Championship players. He was significantly ahead too!

I put this down to having a forward's ability to tackle. Not much wrong with his defensive headers.

D

Deleted member 2719

You remembered correctly, and it was out of all Championship players. He was significantly ahead too!

I put this down to having a forward's ability to tackle. Not much wrong with his defensive headers.

He does all the excessive pushing, because that what a player does when they are struggling to play at a certain level, will there be more pushing and fouls given by Glenn in the Prem, of course there will, he is knocking on a bit.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He does all the excessive pushing, because that what a player does when they are struggling to play at a certain level, will there be more pushing and fouls given by Glenn in the Prem, of course there will, he is knocking on a bit.

He has been doing the same sort of thing since he was with us first time round. He's got better at it - but he's always had that side of his game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Are you suggesting that he struggled last season? If so, then wow.

D

Deleted member 2719

23 goals suggests he didn't struggle last season...

He pushes the boundaries and somehow managed to get away with it. If the refs played to the letter of the law he would have had several reds last year and less goals.
Did you ever see Vicente shoving players........he didn't need too.
Let's wait and see what Glenn can get away with this year and still score goals 2 years older than he was last in the Premier.

You may well be right about forwards not being good tacklers. There are forwards I can think of who, if I was manager, I would instruct to keep the hell out of our penalty area because they are a walking penalty kick against us or at least likely to give away a free kick in a dangerous area.

Like a certain Solly March for example although to be fair, in the friendlies his defending seems to have improved a lot, no doubt due to help from CH and application from Solly. It will be interesting to see if this improvement continues as he is likely to have to do more defending this season than last.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He pushes the boundaries and somehow managed to get away with it. If the refs played to the letter of the law he would have had several reds last year and less goals.
Let's wait and see what Glenn can get away with this year and still score goals 2 years older than he was last in the Premier.

Comparing a silky Spanish winger afraid of a tackle to an aggressive English CF is a strange choice. I suppose Alan Shearer lost it about 25 as well.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
You're obviously not a fan.

7 yellow cards in 43 games isn't a bad tally, so either 36 referees were completely unaware of his fouling, or they saw it as part and parcel of a contact sport.

His one red card was debatable, although I can accept to the letter of the law it was red.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it is a case of him giving back what he gets but at times it does seem a little excessive Would you rather have that or a striker who doesnt get in where the boots are flying?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here