Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket Exchange - What exchange?

With our first game in the Premier League just 10 days away, a sell out is all but certain in the next day or two. This is despite a hike in prices since last season and the fact many regulars will be away on their summer holidays.

Our success last season meant that a large number of games were 'sold out'. Playing in the best league in the world and having to make available 3000 seats for our visitors, coupled with record sales on season tickets will mean that space will be even more limited this term for those not lucky enough to own a season ticket.

The solution is without doubt a well run season ticket exchange that is understood by the fans, is easy to use and has the correct incentives so fans who know they won't be able to attend a game actually bother to notify the club that their seat is available.

Last season a half hearted attempt at a season ticket exchange was implemented. However, it was poorly communicated to fans, it involved filling out on off site (spammy looking page) by a company called Survey Monkey and fans who bothered and were lucky enough to find a bum on their seat would be rewarded with a time limited voucher to spend in the store at the Amex.

The result was that we had many games declared as a sellout. Fans desperate to see their team play, yet swathes of empty seats clearly visible on the telly.

So, a few weeks back the club announced a proper season ticket exchange would be in place this year. Well, where is it?

Those on holiday next week when we kick off our Premier League campaign may well already be on holiday. The last thing these people will be doing whilst holidaying in Benidorm, Bermuda or whereever will to be check the clubs website and then go to a certain page to let the club know their seat is available.

This should have happened weeks ago, and not just for the city game, for any game they know they will not be able to go to.

The club will rightly argue that the exchange would only be activated after an official sellout. Well, in that scenario, the moment it's activated there will be the grand total of ZERO seats available.

Let us tell you NOW when we won't be coming so that if and when a game sells out all those seats can instantly be made available for those wanting to buy.

The technology exists and works well with other clubs. With limited capacity and demand expected in be in excess of supply, we should already be using it.

I've no doubt the club will announce the exchange has been activated in the next few days, but what I can guarantee is that a good proportion on the 100's who will be leaving their seat empty for the City game will not know about it, or can't access the website from their holiday location to do anything about it.

Let's have a working exchange now where we can let it be know what games we won't be attending, not just the next one or one that's already sold out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well said. I used the ticket exchange for the Bristol game, but couldn't find the site, until you gave me the link.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
With our first game in the Premier League just 10 days away, a sell out is all but certain in the next day or two. This is despite a hike in prices since last season and the fact many regulars will be away on their summer holidays.

Our success last season meant that a large number of games were 'sold out'. Playing in the best league in the world and having to make available 3000 seats for our visitors, coupled with record sales on season tickets will mean that space will be even more limited this term for those not lucky enough to own a season ticket.

The solution is without doubt a well run season ticket exchange that is understood by the fans, is easy to use and has the correct incentives so fans who know they won't be able to attend a game actually bother to notify the club that their seat is available.

Last season a half hearted attempt at a season ticket exchange was implemented. However, it was poorly communicated to fans, it involved filling out on off site (spammy looking page) by a company called Survey Monkey and fans who bothered and were lucky enough to find a bum on their seat would be rewarded with a time limited voucher to spend in the store at the Amex.

The result was that we had many games declared as a sellout. Fans desperate to see their team play, yet swathes of empty seats clearly visible on the telly.

So, a few weeks back the club announced a proper season ticket exchange would be in place this year. Well, where is it?

Those on holiday next week when we kick off our Premier League campaign may well already be on holiday. The last thing these people will be doing whilst holidaying in Benidorm, Bermuda or whereever will to be check the clubs website and then go to a certain page to let the club know their seat is available.

This should have happened weeks ago, and not just for the city game, for any game they know they will not be able to go to.

The club will rightly argue that the exchange would only be activated after an official sellout. Well, in that scenario, the moment it's activated there will be the grand total of ZERO seats available.

Let us tell you NOW when we won't be coming so that if and when a game sells out all those seats can instantly be made available for those wanting to buy.

The technology exists and works well with other clubs. With limited capacity and demand expected in be in excess of supply, we should already be using it.

I've no doubt the club will announce the exchange has been activated in the next few days, but what I can guarantee is that a good proportion on the 100's who will be leaving their seat empty for the City game will not know about it, or can't access the website from their holiday location to do anything about it.

Let's have a working exchange now where we can let it be know what games we won't be attending, not just the next one or one that's already sold out.

I suggest you send that to Mr Barber.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great post. It's one where the importance to both sets of fans (those keen to recoup, and those desperate to get in) means the club should act even if it is not hugely profitable as an exercise. They already have the money once. And then all these people are more likely to be happy and buy season tickets/ matchday tickets in the future.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

As you've clearly pointed out there is no logical reason not to introduce a proper exchange scheme as there will be benefits for all involved if and when one is implemented. Seems the only impediment is the administration of the club getting their act together to actually put one in place. Working in an office myself and knowing the joys of project boards and change management processes I hope this is already underway and just moving with typical bureaucratic sluggishness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OP is right of course, that the process should be in place to flag your seats as available for resale.

Even if the facility were there though, its a bit Catch22:

Do you make your seat available, thus denying yourself the possibility of passing it on privately*, without the knowledge that the exchange will DEFINITELY kick in? Your ticket could end up in limbo.

*a purely theoretical thought, obviously. I personally know NOBODY who has EVER passed on a seat privately.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Couldn't disagree more with that. Opens the door for plenty of flip flopping.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Actually, I think the exchange seats should go on sale before the game sells out as otherwise you're likely to get lots of people waiting for the better seats to become available. But the rewards should perhaps only kick in when all the seats are sold?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Totally agree with the OP as well.

The club has no problem sending out pompous threats about non transferability of season tickets. Ok - so give us the option to sell them then.......

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Whilst I agree with the OP on most counts, the point still remains that the game is not sold out and there are still tickets available for general sale:

50 in West Lower
37 in East Lower
1 in North
9 in East Upper

(excluding Wheelchair spaces)

Whilst I agree with the OP on most counts, the point still remains that the game is not sold out and there are still tickets available for general sale:

50 in West Lower
37 in East Lower
1 in North
9 in East Upper

(excluding Wheelchair spaces)

Actually, you are reaffirming my point.

The season ticket exchange should have the facility for holders to make their seat available before it's sold out. The club of course simply don't make these tickets available until it's a sell out.

What's the point of it selling out at say 5pm on a Friday when kick off is at 3pm on Saturday and for us to only be able to make our tickets available then?

If the club had been collecting available seats from an earlier date then there would likely be a reasonable number that could instantly be made available for purchase.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I noticed that there was a paragraph towards the bottom of this season's ST welcome letter that reference a new ticket exchange launching. I'd imagine we'll hear something before the end of this week.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unbelievable tickets for Man City have taken so long to sell and am sure it is because of match day price. With our increased income why on earth did we need to increase to these levels. Last season I got a ticket in EU for a friend several times who because of work cannot go all the time. Couple of weeks ago asked if I could get him a ticket. When I told him ticket was now £55 he despite been able to afford it said he wouldnt pay that and I dont blame him. By asking these prices sure last 1000 or so tickets are sold to one offs and not local people

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Ticket exchange won't kick in until the games a sellout.

City isn't. End of thread.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ticket exchange won't kick in until the games a sellout.

City isn't. End of thread.

There are 2 wheelchair area seats in N1D, 4 in S1A, 1 in E3H, and one single regular £55 seat in the back row of E3G. That's it.

Seems more than a bit crap that the club haven't opened the new shiny ticket exchange to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here