Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon outbid SKY for tennis rights

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So the first all digital company has tested the water and won a relatively small fight against SKY, is this the start of something bigger. Amazon, Twitter, even Apple could easily blow SKY/BT out of the water if they seriously wanted to get hold of the football... the Premier League may get even richer going forward if these companies want to get serious :shrug:

After winning numerous awards for its TV and movie originals, Amazon has set its sights on adding coverage of various popular sporting events to its Prime subscription. In the US, the company has already wrestled Thursday-night NFL game streams away from Twitter, but has been slow to lock in similar deals on the other side of the Atlantic. According to The Guardian, Amazon has now finally made a move, outbidding Sky and ITV to secure the UK rights to tennis' ATP World Tour for the next five years.

more... https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/amazon-sky-to-atp-tennis-uk-prime/

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All Sky's eggs are in that PL basket. They paid through the nose for those rights, and are now desperately reconfiguring their sports package as subscribers leave in their droves.

I hope the wankers lose everything and go under.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why have Sky got a Cricket channel when the biggest games coming up, The Ashes, are on BT. What will Sky show during those matches?

Sky have secured home test matches for some years into the future. Not sure how many people actually stay up through the night to watch live Ashes coverage from Australia, so sky may not be too worries. Not sure who has the New Zealand series following the Ashes

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the revised Sky sports channels it is clear they have a focus on the sports that attracts most viewers and probably aren't too worried about losing tennis

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
All Sky's eggs are in that PL basket. They paid through the nose for those rights, and are now desperately reconfiguring their sports package as subscribers leave in their droves.

Wouldn't be so sure now. With streaming football now illegal it could see subscriptions rise again.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

What... then leaving BT to do the same dominating the market and charging high prices?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One of the biggest disappointments of my life was when I first had Sky and tuning into a program called WaterSports World, which sadly turned out to be about waterskiing and powerboat racing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What... then leaving BT to do the same dominating the market and charging high prices?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There are a number of potential players in the market such as Amazon, ESPN, Apple, BeIn and the Qatari adult channel Al Jizzera.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that in a world of readily available box sets and old stuff available at the touch of a button from a multitude of sources, that live action is king. It is the only thing that seriously differentiates one broadcaster (in it's loosest sense) from another. So regardless of platform, I can only see the cost of live sport going one way.

If I was a broadcaster looking to fill time, I'd be looking to be a bit more innovative in what I'm showing - the very best of minor sports. Having the top leagues in major sports in your stable is all very well, but very risky. Broadcasters pay through the nose and are then challenged with recouping it all through subscriptions and advertising space, and neither are a given.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here