Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

for the military guys on here

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
recently, have they opened up a helicopter base over towards Pompey?

In the last few days, there has been two Apache helicopters zipping about and the other night we were sat on the beach in the dark in Hove and a right din was being made what looked like one Westland that had just one light showing....we caught a glimpse of the two apache helicopters fully blacked out with no lights showing. Probably training in the dark....saw a programme on that once

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Saw 2 Apaches approach & land at Shoreham early this afternoon, very impressive sight. I would hazard a guess that are basing there for any nearby displays.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Saw 2 Apaches approach & land at Shoreham early this afternoon, very impressive sight. I would hazard a guess that are basing there for any nearby displays.
ah right

You back home mate? Shore leave from one of your ships? offered a trip on the Epic but it looks a bit big for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

17-20th August Eastbourne Airbourne.

I quite often see Chinooks flying over as they like exercising over the South Downs.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I went to Balcombe Mills today and went boating at the Anchor Inn.

2 Apaches came over us so low on the river I felt the downdraft from the rotors. Spectacular sight.

Little miss 3y.o. Spongy wasn't as impressed though!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

I quite often see Chinooks flying over as they like exercising over the South Downs.

They do indeed. I've seen Chinooks hovering very low and disappearing under the tree line just south of Princess Royal Hospital in HH.

I work with a bloke who was in the forces and said they have a site there where the pilots practise dropping troops in confined spaces.

I have no idea if that is correct or not but it's a good story nonetheless....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

They do indeed. I've seen Chinooks hovering very low and disappearing under the tree line just south of Princess Royal Hospital in HH.

I work with a bloke who was in the forces and said they have a site there where the pilots practise dropping troops in confined spaces.

I have no idea if that is correct or not but it's a good story nonetheless....

Used to see a Chinook hovering over the fields, over the back of the Cider House farm, Blackboys near Uckfield.
Impressive stuff :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Used to see a Chinook hovering over the fields, over the back of the Cider House farm, Blackboys near Uckfield.
Impressive stuff :thumbsup:

I work very near Wadhurst deer Park, quite often a Chinook flies right by (80-100 yds away), as we are on the side of the valley they are often at eye level. An incredibly loud and impressive sight.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I work very near Wadhurst deer Park, quite often a Chinook flies right by (80-100 yds away), as we are on the side of the valley they are often at eye level. An incredibly loud and impressive sight.

They used to do touch and goes in the field opposite our house in Robertsbridge (I lived in a farmers cottage). Used to happen any time of the day or night.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

If you want loud, either a Saab Viggen or a Grippen, absolutely deafening.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, back Aug 19th for 3 months on Norwegian Spirit in the Med'. So I get the City game at least!

Very nice. We were hoping for a ship visit on the Spirit having done the Jade and Jewel.,

I will have a look for the October half term to see if we can fit in a cruise on the spirit.

( We are off to kefalonia this weekend so miss the city game )

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My brother in law was Squadron Leader for the Chinooks based at Odiham for a few years - they are the ones that regularly fly / flew this way. He buzzed my sons at Saltdean Primary School one lunchtime when they were out in the playground, and they took a lot of pride saying "Thats our Uncle!" to their friends!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here