Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Health checks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I noted some comments made in the Conor Goldstone thread about personal health checks which got me thinking. I believe I'm reasonably fit and healthy and have a check up every few years but it's seemingly quite limited i.e. Vital signs and, I think, blood and urine (can't quite recall what they did last time). Do others go beyond this? I'm thinking scans, ECGs etc. Eye tests? And how frequent do you go?

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Don't know how old you are Herr T , but I've just had a 55th Birthday present from the NHS . It involved a sigmoidoscopy , and i was able to have a look at sights that no-one should see . This is offered to everyone at this age now over here , and a good thing it is too ( although a little uncomfortable at times )

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have a full medical every two years, its extremely comprehensive and takes about two hours. They put you through every machine possible and test your stool/urine, eyesite etc.

The following week I receive what can only be described as a book full of pictures of my insides and lots of accompanying medical descriptions I don't understand. The doctor then walks me through the report in layman's terms.

It's really interesting and I'd really advise doing it.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have a full medical every two years, its extremely comprehensive and takes about two hours. They put you through every machine possible and test your stool/urine, eyesite etc.

The following week I receive what can only be described as a book full of pictures of my insides and lots of accompanying medical descriptions I don't understand. The doctor then walks me through the report in layman's terms.

It's really interesting and I'd really advise doing it.

I take it you pay for the privilege?

Is something similar available in the U.K. Without the cost or how much would this cost here ?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I take it you pay for the privilege?

Is something similar available in the U.K. Without the cost or how much would this cost here ?
I do it in a private hospital in Hong Kong and it is a benefit paid for by my employers, so I'm not sure on the cost.

Is probably worth asking your GP if they know this information.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When I hit 40 I was invited for an NHS health check. Weight, blood pressure, Liver test, cholesterol check, diabetes check.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Had the aorta check and would recommend to all men. Mine was fine but it can be a killer if not spotted.

The nurse who carried the check out made me laugh. I jumped on the bed and he rubbed some jelly all the way down my chest and belly on the line of the aorta. He ran this flat metal thing down the jelly whilst looking at a screen. A couple of seconds he said, "All clear, no problem there." I said that was quick. He replied "That is because you are slim." i said, "Oh, is being a bit chubby a problem?"
The answer was "some blokes are so fat we can't pick the aorta up on the screen."
I know it wasn't really funny but I did chuckle thinking of them trying to find these lost aortas.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I get a had medical every year, which the company pays for.
Also they provide an onsite occupational heath check company, every year for employees.
All good for me being 50+

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm reasonably fit and healthy and have a check up every few years... blood and urine (can't quite recall what they did last time).

Do you have to attend in person or can you just send your pants plus a stamped addressed envelope?

Jul 7, 2003
Hi mate. As a man of a similar age but nowhere near as fit as you, I did this with BUPA through a work benefits scheme about 3 years ago. It covered various blood, urine and stool tests, breathing, ECG, etc and they send you through a report at the end. Was good to get peace of mind that all was in fairly good shape (albeit my knee was replace the following year!).

Good though it was, the key things you need checking are generally available through your UK doctor for free (not sure if Germany is the same). I saw my doctor recently about one thing and they ran some basic cholesterol and blood sugar checks. Cholesterol is the strange one. I know people who are very fit and slim who have problems with high cholesterol. It is fair to say that I am nowhere near fit or slim at the moment and yet my cholesterol levels are very good.

Given the running you do, and in light of the Goldson events, it might be good to have your ticker checked just to make sure you don't have a problem you do not know about. A colleague of mine was very similar to you in age, fitness and exercise keeled over having a gentle run through the park. Luckily there were plenty of people around and the ambulance turned up very quickly to kickstart his heart. Turned out he had a genetic condition that had not been picked up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks everyone. Seems I should have a more thorough and regular check up then. Someone asked my age, 49 in a couple of weeks time. I like Amazon vouchers as I can then chose the records I want. Thanks.

PS I'm too scared to Google sigmoidoscopy.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Thanks everyone. Seems I should have a more thorough and regular check up then. Someone asked my age, 49 in a couple of weeks time. I like Amazon vouchers as I can then chose the records I want. Thanks.

I get mine through work but it's through Nuffield. Not cheap but very thorough.

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/health-assessments

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Shit, I could've sworn it was your 50th in August.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have an annual medical as an 'optional extra' under the company health insurance policy. I pay the equivalent of around £600 for it I think but it's kind of lost in the medical benefit cost overall.

Administered by BUPA, takes around 3 hours and seems to be extremely comprehensive. Everything you would expect is tested, bloods, cholesterol and a whole load of other readings I don't fully understand, sight, hearing, ECG etc. Also includes a fitness test (bike or treadmill) that gives another set of data. Report is usually 20 pages plus and ALWAYS says 'lose weight and drink less' [emoji23][emoji23]

In seriousness I have seen so many pals and relative be struck down with things that would have been less serious or far more easily treatable if it has been identified earlier I think the MOT is good value and very worthwhile.

You can contact BUPA or Nuffield (for example) directly to arrange these things, and the costs vary depending on the level of detail you want. Details are on their respective websites.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Hi mate. As a man of a similar age but nowhere near as fit as you, I did this with BUPA through a work benefits scheme about 3 years ago. It covered various blood, urine and stool tests, breathing, ECG, etc and they send you through a report at the end. Was good to get peace of mind that all was in fairly good shape (albeit my knee was replace the following year!).

Good though it was, the key things you need checking are generally available through your UK doctor for free (not sure if Germany is the same). I saw my doctor recently about one thing and they ran some basic cholesterol and blood sugar checks. Cholesterol is the strange one. I know people who are very fit and slim who have problems with high cholesterol. It is fair to say that I am nowhere near fit or slim at the moment and yet my cholesterol levels are very good.

Given the running you do, and in light of the Goldson events, it might be good to have your ticker checked just to make sure you don't have a problem you do not know about. A colleague of mine was very similar to you in age, fitness and exercise keeled over having a gentle run through the park. Luckily there were plenty of people around and the ambulance turned up very quickly to kickstart his heart. Turned out he had a genetic condition that had not been picked up.

your blood cholesterol is not related to dietary cholesterol is the latest thinking. In fact the good cholesterol found in natural animal products like butter and steaks etc can lower your bad blood cholesterol . Even some doctors are not up with this . ive been eating low carb high fat for a couple years now. I Told the doc who said I need to be careful as my cholesterol has prob gone through the roof with all the red meat , butter cheese I eat but it had actually come down . As for Edwina Currie I eat about 5 eggs a day! Its not fat that's the bad thing now its the sugar . For sugar also see carbs like bread , pasta etc.

Sorry for the lesson:p

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I get mine through work but it's through Nuffield. Not cheap but very thorough.

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/health-assessments

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I used to do this every couple of years, but Nuffield switched from a paper report to just logging the outcomes in a crap, user unfriendly portal, never to be seen again. As I paid £ 800 over the year for the privilege of learning nothing, I gave up on it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here