Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

France and Speedos?

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
What is their obsession with the budgie smugglers? I would look like Andy or Daffyd if I wore those...do the French really want this on their conscience?

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
Long baggy swim trunks arent allowed in public swimming pools due to hygeine reasons I believe, thus the speedos

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Long baggy swim trunks arent allowed in public swimming pools due to hygeine reasons I believe, thus the speedos

Hygiene reasons v Frightening the Patrons, ok I will give it ago but I guarantee one of two things will happen! Ps Leicester just turned down £7m for Lawrence from Derby!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does anyone understand the LOGIC of this? I know it is 'for hygiene reasons' but in what way do they suppose a clean pair of swimming shorts is less hygienic than a pair of speedos?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Slip de bain :lol: this one used to crack me up when I was living over there. You could wear swimming shots ala Daniel Craig but the 'Bermuda' style super baggy shorts were a non non.

Logic being you might wear your baggy swim shorts as normal shorts to the pool. If you do they could get dirty. No man is going to wander around town wearing his budgie smugglers, so when you go swimming, they will be clean. Helps to keep the pool clean.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Does anyone understand the LOGIC of this? I know it is 'for hygiene reasons' but in what way do they suppose a clean pair of swimming shorts is less hygienic than a pair of speedos?

I've just tried on my Speedos and I swear you can't see any material when I stand up straight!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I asked my Italian mate this very question and he said that shorts allow for a greater possibility of one or more pubic hairs detaching itself from your body and floating out into the water via the nice baggy leg holes.

It's funny, we look at him like he's mental because he won't wear shorts and he looks at us like we're mental because we do.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I agree with our friends across the water also much better for swimming no world records are broken wearing swimming shorts

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We met a complete woman stranger on the plane travelling back from France. . She asked why men have to wear budge smugglers in France . We replied we think that it is for hygiene reasons. She said whilst nodding her head, well I suppose its because of the skidmarks. We still laugh about it no

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I asked my Italian mate this very question and he said that shorts allow for a greater possibility of one or more pubic hairs detaching itself from your body and floating out into the water via the nice baggy leg holes.

It's funny, we look at him like he's mental because he won't wear shorts and he looks at us like we're mental because we do.

Most swimming shorts have a mesh liner that would perform that task though, and a fair portion of hairy fat bloke's pubes are going to be outside of his tight little swim panties anyway!

French clowns.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

My understanding is that it is due to the amount of people going to beaches, then returning and filling up the pool with sand from the crevices (in the swim shorts)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This ridiculous rule has cost the French my holiday custom. Their loss.

Yep, ours too on at least one occasion. I'd have braved it, but my two teenage lads were not having it at all.

French clowns.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Slip de bain :lol: this one used to crack me up when I was living over there. You could wear swimming shots ala Daniel Craig but the 'Bermuda' style super baggy shorts were a non non.

Logic being you might wear your baggy swim shorts as normal shorts to the pool. If you do they could get dirty. No man is going to wander around town wearing his budgie smugglers, so when you go swimming, they will be clean. Helps to keep the pool clean.

I do hope they shower before entering the pool.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Men in g-strings trump Speedos. There's a 50-something, possibly even 60-something, Ovingdean regular who seems to know half of the people on the beach and who regularly struts his stuff with his little tanned botty out. Similar to the beer-bellied guy in that beer advert (Stella Artois?).

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
I agree with our friends across the water also much better for swimming no world records are broken wearing swimming shorts

WTF...I'm built like bloody Orca not Mark Spitz! I want to swim the odd width not 400 medley!

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here