Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would we fair if we were still in the Championship.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
With fans getting restless towards the start of our first season in the Premier League and the frustration of some with the lack of signings so far and how much of our budget is realistic in our attempt to stay in the division. I wondered just where would we expect ourselves to finish in the Championship with our current squad and would there be the same need for another striker etc.

I would looking at the Championship and expect a top six finish and not top two.

You ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Who would we be replacing? As you know, a slight change in the timeline causes huge knock on effects and I need to know ALL information before providing my answer.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Top half of the table. Maybe make the play-offs but that's about it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
would again need luck with injuries up front but no injuries then top 3.

Still need a striker or 2 though !!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With our current squad? We'd win it, or at least top 2 comfortably.

Gross would score a hatful so we wouldn't need to be discussing another Striker.
Would it be the third year of rolling FFP?

If it was (and no matter how many times El Pres explaining it, I still only have the understanding of a shaved monkey) the question is would the current squad be able to stay together?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
With fans getting restless towards the start of our first season in the Premier League and the frustration of some with the lack of signings so far and how much of our budget is realistic in our attempt to stay in the division.

And this differs from every other close season how?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
CHAMPIONS :albion2:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Would it be the third year of rolling FFP?

If it was (and no matter how many times El Pres explaining it, I still only have the understanding of a shaved monkey) the question is would the current squad be able to stay together?

Financially? It could have been kept together 1 more year yes, at least as far as I'm aware.

The thread is a nothing question though as we have a few players, our best players, who wouldn't spend another season in the Championship, at least not at this stage in their careers. We also wouldn't have attracted Gross in the first place so we'd still be needing a 10.

If the question is just a theoretical "with our current squad where would we finish?" then the answer, or at least my answer, would be promotion at a canter.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You really are a proper 'glass 3/4s empty' type, aren't you? We've got a better squad than the team who should have won the league.

And the one team that finished above us is removed from the equation.

Yep - 'top half' seems about right :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Financially? It could be kept together 1 more year yes, at least as far as I'm aware.

The thread is a nothing question though as we have a few players, our best players, who wouldn't spend another season in the Championship, at least not at this stage in their careers. We also wouldn't have attracted Gross in the first place so we'd still be needing a 10.

If the question is just a theoretical "with our current squad where would we finish?" then the answer, or at least my answer, would be promotion at a canter.

I think we'd be one striker short. :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We can never know but if we hadn't got promoted the team would have been decimated and we'd be rebuilding. I reckon playoffs would then be a big ask :shrug:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We can never know but if we hadn't got promoted the team would have been decimated and we'd be rebuilding. I reckon playoffs would then be a big ask :shrug:

Hence my earlier comment.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We would have to have sold at least one valuable player, Dunk?, and not spent this summer. It was covered on another thread, but the FL FFP game would have been up. TB took the last chance punt and delivered, meaning we avoided all that.

My guess - 6th or 7th. Father Time creeping up on an ageing squad too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here