Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fight Game: The McGuigans

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not really a boxing fan, but this three part programme on the iPlayer is fantastic. Shows McGuigan senior as the promoter, Junior the trainer (his wife is :love: BTW), and Carl Frampton, George Groves and some other boxers preparing, fighting and recovering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r6xrc

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does it cover Carl Frampton's accountant allegedly discovering that he's signed a deal with Barry on a par with that of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis?

D

Deleted member 2719

Excellent thanks for this i loved Bazza.

What a gutsy fighter he was.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I watched this when it was originally broadcast. Gives a great insight into the boxing game not normally seen.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Same here. Magical nights in the mid-80's, in front of incredible crowds in Belfast & at Loftus Road once. A great fighter and still immensely knowledgeable on boxing.

This.

Big fan of Barry in his day, and one of few pundits worth a carrot.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Same here. Magical nights in the mid-80's, in front of incredible crowds in Belfast & at Loftus Road once. A great fighter and still immensely knowledgeable on boxing.

I took my dad to Loftus Road for that fight McGuigan v Pedroza - it was a great fight.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took my dad to Loftus Road for that fight McGuigan v Pedroza - it was a great fight.

Lucky guy. I was a bit too young, watching it on BBC instead, which I did for all his fights leading up from the Ulster Hall and Kings Hall, Belfast. Each night was special starting with Danny Boy sung by his Dad. Supporters from both sides of the sectarian divide in unison for the evening, as Barry stayed out of the shite and had married from the across the divide.

A few years before that, Jim Watt's fights from the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow were equally electric.

All still on YouTube.

Harry Carpenter added to these events.

Happy days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here