Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

radio 5 live vs Beefy botham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone listen to Beefy's interview with Rachel Burden this morning

Basically it started ok with him explaining that for every pie he sold ( I think they were pheasant and something else) he would donate 1 to the homeless in the area. Rachel then asked him if it was dependant on his pies being sold, therefore a commercial transaction ( i.e more we sell we will give more away). Botham went ape shit at her

It was really uncomfortable to listen to as he really went for her and Nicky Campbell had to step in at one time and Botham kept going on about her "having an agenda" and asking " what have you ever done for the homeless?"

I have heard celebrities ranting at times, but this was really personal.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Anyone listen to Beefy's interview with Rachel Burden this morning

Basically it started ok with him explaining that for every pie he sold ( I think they were pheasant and something else) he would donate 1 to the homeless in the area. Rachel then asked him if it was dependant on his pies being sold, therefore a commercial transaction ( i.e more we sell we will give more away). Botham went ape shit at her

It was really uncomfortable to listen to as he really went for her and Nicky Campbell had to step in at one time and Botham kept going on about her "having an agenda" and asking " what have you ever done for the homeless?"

I have heard celebrities ranting at times, but this was really personal.

I didn't hear it. What was behind her question ? Sounds like a good idea from Botham.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Pheasant plucker. He does go off on one every now and then. Takes his knighthood very seriously. Still admire his stance on racism and refusing to join fat Gatts rebel tour to apartheid South Africa.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I can't say I heard it either but the principal is no different to any other of the charity link ups I've ever seen whereby the company might donate x amount of the sale of the item towards whatever the chosen charity is. Bearing in mind the amount of charity work Botham does, I don't see why the interviewer chose to go down that line of questioning.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can't say I heard it either but the principal is no different to any other of the charity link ups I've ever seen whereby the company might donate x amount of the sale of the item towards whatever the chosen charity is. Bearing in mind the amount of charity work Botham does, I don't see why the interviewer chose to go down that line of questioning.

I think it was more of a " we see a lot of these commercial based gimmicks " and she was confirming the criteria.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
think i would feel preety annoyed if i was on the radio showcaseing an effort to help other peopele out and the presenter only wanted to talk about the negative aspect.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sounds worth a listen.

Have to say in general terms a) Rachel Burden is an exceptional broadcaster b) Botham, for all his playing brilliance and charity work can be a prickly oaf that talks a surprising amount of bollocks about the game he graced c) celebs in this PR age are increasingly thin skinned about any criticism.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My take on this is that he expected to be able to get praised for being such a great bloke and helping the homeless and didn't like being challenged. It wasn't her opinion*– she's a journalist, it's her job to ask difficult questions. Interrupting and laughing at the people asking the questions isn't great, either.

I think he also failed to realise that by NOT discussing the issues she was asking asking – he's actually risked FEWER people buying the things in the first place and therefore not helped his cause!

#Team5Live

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Basically it started ok with him explaining that for every pie he sold ( I think they were pheasant and something else) he would donate 1 to the homeless in the area. Rachel then asked him if it was dependant on his pies being sold, therefore a commercial transaction ( i.e more we sell we will give more away).
Sounds like a bloody stupid question.
"For every pie sold I will donate one pie to the homeless."
"So does that depend on any pies being sold?"

....derrr,,,,,

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Sounds like a bloody stupid question.
"For every pie sold I will donate one pie to the homeless."
"So does that depend on any pies being sold?"

....derrr,,,,,

I was thinking exactly the same thing!

It's a pretty clear idea, isn't it?

There's having journalistic integrity in asking the difficult questions, and then there's asking bloody daft ones!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks. Sir Ian was in the right and behaved extremely well in the face of attack. His counter claim of how many chickens are bred in terrible conditions won the battle. 10/10 for Botham and 0/10 5Live.

Sorry [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], I disagree – that wasn't an attack at all! It's not the job of the interviewee to ask questions of the person interviewing them. The minute they do this, the game's up and they've shown their weakness or lack of willingness to debate. As much as I hate the constant questioning (which this wasn't anywhere near) of the likes of John Humphrys, a decent interviewee will always give an answer, not a question. As a journalist or reporter, you're not giving your opinion, you're playing devil's advocate. A lot of people seem to mistake one for the other...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], I disagree – that wasn't an attack at all! It's not the job of the interviewee to ask questions of the person interviewing them. The minute they do this, the game's up and they've shown their weakness or lack of willingness to debate. As much as I hate the constant questioning (which this wasn't anywhere near) of the likes of John Humphrys, a decent interviewee will always give an answer, not a question. As a journalist or reporter, you're not giving your opinion, you're playing devil's advocate. A lot of people seem to mistake one for the other...

She moved away from the subject of pheasant pies and partridge curries to criticise the hunting of game. Bit like me having a go at Tony Bloom about the animal welfare of battery raised chickens after he gave me a free pie at Norwich. I feel Botham was hijacked and dealt with it well. I don't agree with him though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think Rachel was way off beam, grouse shooting is totally different from pheasant shooting.

I would have thought that a better question would have been whether the people who would be receiving the game pies and curries would enjoy eating them, given that game is not in the usual diet of many people, and would it not have been better donating something that they would be familiar with such as beef or chicken.

I don't think Sir Ian went mad, he was just frustrated that the questions were ill thought out. A commercial enterprise, when he has stated that it will cost them about £40k to donate the pies.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Botham came on the radio to say that his pheasant/partridge shoot would offer up to 10,000 birds to food bankers for free with one for every pheasant/partridge meal bought by the public. Rachel tried to turn it into having a go at the whole shooting fraternity which is not why he was on the radio. He understandably got annoyed as he was offering a charitable contribution costing his shoot £40,000. As she had no arguments properly prepared she completely lost her way and Nicky had to come to her rescue as she had no idea what she was talking about. Botham was far more polite than I would have been when he was ambushed by the BBC in this way as it was nothing to do with grouse shooting of wild birds which is completely different.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here