Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have You Ever Been on Holiday and had it Paid for in the Name of Charity?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Walking round a car boot yesterday one of the cars had this sign on.
2017-07-30 09.24.54.jpg
I struggled to understand how a trek along the Great Wall of China would benefit the charity in any way as there was no obvious connection and surely the costs would outweigh the benefit. When I got home I googled the relevant words and found this site. From what I can make out and unless I've got it wrong you have to raise £3000. Of that you set aside £1850 to pay towards the cost of your holiday as essentially that's what it is. I can't see any charity related activities amongst the itinerary. The balance of £1150 you hand over to your designated charity. Not only is there a slight imbalance buy it doesn't seem that altruistic to me. Has anyone been on one of these charity related holidays? You can choose from a whole variety of exotic locations.
https://www.charitytravelandtrek.com/Charitytrek/great-wall-of-china-charity-trek-oct17/

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have no problems if a person is paying for the actual trip out of their own pocket but many see it as a cheap way to get a bucket list going.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Good spot. Not been on one myself but well aware of the scam and refuse to contribute... my "favourite" was a work colleague going on a charity cycle ride round Cuba for a couple of weeks...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I have no problems if a person is paying for the actual trip out of their own pocket but many see it as a cheap way to get a bucket list going.

Well in effect they are because it's money they've raised themselves but many of the people who subsidise them don't realise the implications of how the money they give is actually being spent. When you look at the website it's clear that it is nothing but a holiday. I think some activities with a local charity should be included once you're out there like some sort of exchange programme with the charity in whose name you originally raised the money. Not for the whole time but for one day at least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not done one but if they raise fresh money which wouldn't have been raised then fine with me.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well in effect they are because it's money they've raised themselves but many of the people who subsidise them don't realise the implications of how the money they give is actually being spent. When you look at the website it's clear that it is nothing but a holiday. I think some activities with a local charity should be included once you're out there like some sort of exchange programme with the charity in whose name you originally raised the money. Not for the whole time but for one day at least.

Out of their own pocket from money they have earned not from begging. If they cannot afford to go on holiday to walk along the great wall of china for charity then get a train to Winchester and walk the south downs way for charity

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would be fine if they disclosed how your contribution was being spent. If they don't, they are doing little more than scamming you.

Fair point.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It would be fine if they disclosed how your contribution was being spent. If they don't, they are doing little more than scamming you.

They do. See here.
https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/globa...56a-great-wall-of-china-trek-4pp-brochure.pdf

You have to raise a minimum of £3,300 in sponsorship to go, its a 9 day trip and £300 (of your own money) as a registration fee
Most days your schedule involves trek / walk along the wall for 5-7 hours a day. Not exactly my idea of a holiday but each to their own.
Not sure its any different, except in scale, to the Albion in the Community cycling trips to Paris / Amsterdam etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this anything to do with [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]'s thread?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I did one of these, a trek in the Himalayas. It was sold as a fundraising event but you then realise what the reality is.
In my case, I didn't feel comfortable hassling people for cash and I only raised a few hundred pounds, then just paid the remainder myself.
Never again. About the closest link to the charity was being given t-shirts to wear during the trek.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They do. See here.
https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/globa...56a-great-wall-of-china-trek-4pp-brochure.pdf

You have to raise a minimum of £3,300 in sponsorship to go, its a 9 day trip and £300 (of your own money) as a registration fee
Most days your schedule involves trek / walk along the wall for 5-7 hours a day. Not exactly my idea of a holiday but each to their own.
Not sure its any different, except in scale, to the Albion in the Community cycling trips to Paris / Amsterdam etc.

It might not be your idea of a holiday, but there'll be plenty of folk who do pay a fair old sum for it with the likes of Exodus.

Cycling round Cuba does seem to be the classic "having others pay for my holiday" thing. Nice "work" if you can get it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually. I ran the London marathon and I bypassed the lottery and it was paid for by the Sussex Beacon who I ran for. In some respects this is no different. I get my run, they get a lot of money.

Got a bloke at work recently did a 100 mile run along the South Downs Way in a weekend, he got £20 off me.
Got another going out to Kenya to help build an eye hospital, he’ll get £20 too.
Got one wants money to do a parachute jump, he won’t be getting anything.

So for me, if you’re going to do something that involves pain, discomfort, self sacrifice I’ll chuck in some £’s, if it involves doing something you have always wanted to do because you think you’ll enjoy it, Nah.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I should probably start my own thread, but I'm doing a sponsored 'watch Brighton & Hove Albion' this season, so hope many of you can contribute.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The obvious difference between something like this and running a marathon is the outlay by the charity themselves. I have always presumed (I must say I don't know) that marathon organisers give charities a load of places for free - so someone running it for charity is getting something which they could quite easily afford themselves, yet is raising 100% profits for charity.

I might be wrong and airlines, hotels, guides etc are all giving the charity this stuff for nothing - but I doubt it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I should probably start my own thread, but I'm doing a sponsored 'watch Brighton & Hove Albion' this season, so hope many of you can contribute.

I'm thinking of a sponsored comestible challenge to support local businesses. Or getting pissed on Harvey's at home games. Any takers?

PG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here