Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The social, political and cultural significance of old-school football message boards

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
An enlightening piece written about football message boards.

Though most football message boards look hopelessly outdated, all rudimentary code and early noughties aesthetics, one doesn’t have to spend long perusing them to realise just how vast they are. Almost every football club from the Premier League to the National League has an online forum, many of which are populated with thousands of fans following multiple threads at any one time. Some clubs have sufficient online presence to justify the existence of two or more rival forums, these often divided on behavioural lines. Back when the forums were first created, many were moderated in less than stringent fashion. Some have since split on account of moderation policy, with many threads now expressly prohibiting talk of politics, current affairs and indeed all non-football chat.

https://footballpink.net/2017/02/14...icance-of-old-school-football-message-boards/

I'd be interested to know who were the two Albion fans holidaying in Outer Mongolia :cool:

el punal

An enlightening piece written about football message boards.

Though most football message boards look hopelessly outdated, all rudimentary code and early noughties aesthetics, one doesn’t have to spend long perusing them to realise just how vast they are. Almost every football club from the Premier League to the National League has an online forum, many of which are populated with thousands of fans following multiple threads at any one time. Some clubs have sufficient online presence to justify the existence of two or more rival forums, these often divided on behavioural lines. Back when the forums were first created, many were moderated in less than stringent fashion. Some have since split on account of moderation policy, with many threads now expressly prohibiting talk of politics, current affairs and indeed all non-football chat.

https://footballpink.net/2017/02/14...icance-of-old-school-football-message-boards/

I'd be interested to know who were the two Albion fans holidaying in Outer Mongolia :cool:

I have it on good authority that they were two Amex ball boys, instructed by the club to find the ball that Leo Ulloa had used in his infamous penalty miss.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I always think this board is very busy for a club of our size.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Darn sure that I prefer the message board or forum format to discuss anything , than 'Social Media' .
When they existed I supported forums about tv, ( BBC had them) and the news....

Sadly , no more ...Thank the football gods for this place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Darn sure that I prefer the message board or forum format to discuss anything , than 'Social Media' .
When they existed I supported forums about tv, ( BBC had them) and the news....

Sadly , no more ...Thank the football gods for this place.
Yes, the BBC football forum was good until some plank re-designed it, then it soon got pulled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here