Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
So terribly sad. Only knew him really through interactions on here but like others have said his posts were always required reading. I will miss him and NSC will be poorer without him. Condolences to his family. RIP Ed and thanks for everything.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I'm not normally one to post on these types of threads normally keeping my RIPs to myself and observe from afar but Ed was different. I think everyone on NSC felt they knew him and having met him once or twice during the Withdean years he was a thoroughly nice bloke.

RIP Ed, a true Albion legend and an NSC treasure.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Like many here, I never knew Ed personally, but his contributions on here and all the hard work he put into The Albion are well known, and so very much appreciated by many.

RIP Lord B

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
RIP to a truly lovely bloke. I never knew him on first name terms, but he always acted as if he knew me well - always acknowledged me with a nod and a smile, and often stopped for a chat.

He was like that with so many it seems.

So sad about this.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Just wanted to echo what everyone else has said. Never met the guy but he took the time to pm once about a thread. Guess that summed up the type of guy he was.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Very sad news, he did more than most to ensure we still had a club to follow. Thanks Ed!

Certainly one of the most decent and humane voices among Albion fans, if not the most. Above and a million miles beyond the call of duty when club and fellow fans needed him - deserves to be long remembered

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We were very saddened to hear of the death of our good friend Ed Bassford last night.

We, like many here, have had many wonderful conversations, debates and drinks with Ed (a born chatterbox) on a wide range of subjects, and always found him charming and engaging.

My (Al's) first real time of getting to know him was after North Stand Chat sponsored a match at Lewes FC in December 2005. We had a great time drinking (too much) Harvey's on the terraces of the Dripping Pan - and Lewes won 5-4, after being 4-0 down. Ed and Roz pitched up at our place later for a lovely meal (I somehow managed to cook a duck after about eight pints of Harvey's - though what the duck was doing drinking that much I've no idea.) They were, of course, delightful company, and a close friendship was born.

The Ed that we knew was, among things, a member of the Falmer For All team who worked so hard campaigning for the new stadium at Falmer. An expert in so many areas of local government, Ed was able to offer his opinion and knowledge to the club on matters involving 'City Hall'. He was able to turn hours of legal and argumentative gibberish at the public inquiries into plain English, while seeing through the nonsense offered by the politicians and opponents of the plan, and placing it within the realms of the real world.

Such was his dedication and commitment, he even stood for local government in Lewes for The Seagulls Party - that determined was he that Brighton & Hove Albion should have its prize. It was a joyous occasion when the stadium finally opened in 2011, and Ed and Roz could take satisfaction from knowing that they did their bit. Scratch that - they did a lot...

Ed was guest on The Albion Roar about three or four times over the years (we rarely keep count) and each time, it was an enormous pleasure for us to hear him offload his pearls of wisdom - especially hearing the tales from the FFA committee meetings...

Fast forward to four years ago. His illness obviously slowed him up physically, but his mind stayed as sharp as ever. The stubbornness with which he fought for so many causes (including Falmer) meant he had the tools within him to fight this with such tenacity. Even when that retched disease came back for a re-match, Ed held out till the end - or rather, until he had seen his beloved Brighton & Hove Albion get promoted to the Premier League.

We, as Brighton fans, have so much to thank Ed for. First, last and always Ed was a great friend, a fine gentleman, and the honour was just in knowing him. We raise a glass of Brunello di Montalcino (Ed's favourite Tuscan red), or even a pint of Harvey's to the sun, and offer our own thanks for who he was, and all he did for Brighton & Hove Albion.

Our deepest condolences and all our love to Roz, Dan, Tom and Megan. We will all miss him very much.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very sorry to hear this. Had some very good conversations with Ed.

RIP

Condolences to his family.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Typical Ed here: gracious even in victory (re approval of Falmer planning decision):

"We will be celebrating but it will not be rambunctious - it is the wrong time to push this into the face of the opposition".

Top marks for the use of "rambunctious" :clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here