Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just back from Ed's funeral. Extremely well done and some lovely words from his friends. Good to see some old friends today and a great turnout from his Albion supporting mates. Paul Samrah's speech was brilliant and put into context just how much we owe Ed for the fabulous stadium that will be gracing Premier football this season. Thanks to Roz and the family for giving ed a magnificent send off.

derek, ray Bloom and Martin P all there in support.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So sorry I can't be there today. Performed 'From Hereford to Here' in Ed's honour in Halifax last night and tonight it will again be dedicated to him at Rebellion punk festival in Blackpool. Roz, thoughts, love and solidarity. A true Albion hero.

that was magnificent John. not a dry eye in the house when your poem from Hereford to Here was read...thanks John

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Standing room only at the church, so big was the turnout, with really good speakers about the different aspects of Ed's life and his achievements.

Delicious food and drink at the pub after, which was a good place to sit and chat about what Ed meant to each of us.

In other words, a good send off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was a superb send-off, warm and moving, the packed church was a testament to how much he was loved and respected by such a wide spectrum of people. Even Norman Baker sent a message. Roz and family did Ed proud today. He would have absolutely loved the service while wondering what all the fuss was about.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Sad to hear of this news today. Always liked reading his post here and will miss seeing his epic profile pic. I didn't know him personally and I wasn't even aware of his major contributions for the club until I read through most of this thread. All I can say is that the albion family (and planet earth) are very lucky to have had good souls like LB around.

Safe travels on the voyage to the great beyond, LB :cheers:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
For all this man did for our cause back in the dark times, just so glad he got to see us promoted to the Premier League in our own fantastic stadium in Brighton!
People like this will never be forgotten!
Sad loss of a true Brighton fan!!!!

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
My favourite paragraph from 'We Want Falmer' (page 116):

'ED BASSFORD: This was the era of the leaked document, so we knew of the likelihood of a legal challenge. I was phoned up by a Lewes District councillor and told that work was being done on mounting a legal challenge to the decisions. I asked how he knew, and he said he'd seen the report, and I said; "Could I see the report?" And he said; "Of course not." Then the report appeared through my front door later that weekend and I was asked, when you've read it, could you return it please, so the following day it was returned. What happened between it falling through my door and being returned might or might not have involved an email to Martin Perry and the use of a scanner, but I wouldn't know.'

:lolol:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Sad that I couldn't be there today
Is it possible we could have some transcripts of speeches?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
In no given order, it was a day of laughter, tears, sadness and fondness.

For a start, Ed's funeral was very well attended. [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] were charged with handing out the Order of Service sheets, and seeing as Roz said she'd printed off 200, and some didn't get one, that gives you an idea of the reach of Ed's universe.

There were fine tributes and eulogies, from his friends in Firle Parish Council, in the Morris Dancing fraternity, in community transport, Attila's poem 'From Hereford To Here', and of course Paul Samrah's heartfelt and wonderful tribute, some of which were taken from here. There was also a genuine tribute from Norman Baker, as read out by the vicar.

Which reminds me, the vicar, Peter Owen Jones, already has his own thread on North Stand Chat, having hosted a fine programme earlier this year about walks on the South Downs. Typical Ed, having the last laugh with us though - "It's an honour to conduct Ed's funeral", said Peter before the service, "... and I wasn't going to miss it, but I am a Palace fan. Please don't tell anyone until later..."

Many pints were consumed afterwards in The Ram Inn in Firle, three minutes walk from the picturesque church, and many tales were swapped of "Do you remember when...?" and "I really didn't know that..." As was pointed out, most stories would be largely the same about Ed's kindness, generosity, fairness, wisdom and humour - just the setting was different in each case.

A fair few Brighton fans and NSCers were present (it would be unfair to name them all as I would certainly miss some out - but they know who they were), and the Albion was represented by Martin Perry, Ray Bloom and Derek Chapman.

The sun shone, and it felt appropriate that it did so. Rain just wouldn't have befitted such an occasion.

It was a privilege to be there to see our good friend off.

Rest in peace. X

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Any possibility now that's Ed's Service has passed this thread could be merged with the one on the Big Board? That way, when the threads are moved to Gold - as they surely must be - everything is in one place.

Rest in Peace Ed - we'll try not to let you down and maintain some degree of standards in this place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At 2.00 this afternoon, I was standing on a cricket pitch in Rottingdean umpiring an U12s match. I'd like to say that I was thinking of Ed at the moment but I was somewhat occupied.

Been thinking about him this evening, reading the comments from the people who attended his funeral brought home what a wonderful man he was; one who made his mark in so many walks of life and who made friends everywhere. He'll be missed by so many people

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I never met LB, but his threads were always the most well thought out on NSC - not that the bar was often set that high! His feedback on the Public Enquiry was undoubtedly the most reliable and reasoned source of information for ignoramuses like me. Living where I do, I used to see him often about, at Glynde Station before and after matches, parading on various bonfire nights, and of course at the Amex and Withdean. I just wished that I had had the courage to go over and speak to him. I know he was a convert to our Albion from the other Albion, but there are surely few who have contributed so much to what we all have today. RIP Lord Bracknell, or may I call you Ed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Glad it was a good turnout and fitting tribute to the great man.

Was thinking very much of Ed at 08:00 hrs this morning

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Thank you so much to all those who attended. It truly was a fitting sendoff for Dad. Wonderful words from friends about many aspects of his life followed by a burial in a beautiful spot in the village he adored, then onto the pub for beer and stories in the sunshine. Perfect.

Back home we also had a few fireworks for him too. It's just a real shame he missed it.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
All our best wishes to the entire Bassford family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here