Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Books have you Failed to Finish?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sometimes you start a book and you find it a real struggle to get through and consequently never finish it. Sometimes it's because the book doesn't live up to your expectations and sometimes the problem is not with the book itself but your mental state at the time of reading it just doesn't make it conducive to read that particular book at that particular time.
Which books have you failed or struggled to finish and why? Do you intend to go back to them?
My list is:
1. "The Idiot" : Dostoyevsky : I think you have to be very committed to tackle this book and if your mind's not there you've got no chance.
2. "Under the Volcano" : Malcolm Lowry : Depressing subject matter so not a good book to go to when you're not feeling too great yourself which strangely is when I always seem to return to it. Am determined to get there in the end. It apparently took ten years to write so quite appropriate that it's taken me about five years to try and finish and I'm still not there. Haven't tackled it for over a year.
3. "Silence" : Shusaku Endo : Athough a relatively short book, still struggling through it. Not sure if it's the book or just me but I discovered my sister in law failed to finish it too.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Too many books too little time, which is why libraries are great, get out a selection of books, bin the ones that turn out to be crap, nothing lost financially.

Shantaram started out as the most amazing read and turned into the biggest pile of horse shit in the Western Hemisphere two thirds of the way through. Bin!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tristram Shandy - started it about five times, can't handle more than a few chapters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jonny Marr's autobiography, 'Set the boy free'.

I raced through the first half, and was engrossed, but (as I commented on here, at the time) it was the subject matter rather than the writing that held my interest. Once the story moved on beyond the Smiths years, I lost interest. Should make the effort to get back and finish it off.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jonny Marr's autobiography, 'Set the boy free'.

I raced through the first half, and was engrossed, but (as I commented on here, at the time) it was the subject matter rather than the writing that held my interest. Once the story moved on beyond the Smiths years, I lost interest. Should make the effort to get back and finish it off.

I skim read after The Smiths years, but it was still engaging enough. Makes you think of you've done nothing with your life, the boy just never stopped. The bit about his lifestyle transformation from caner to clean living long distance runner is interesting in the latter stages of the book.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Diceman - I think I did eventually get to the end, but blimey it was a lifetime away from when I started it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Catch 22.

I really didn't get on with that. One of the best books ever apparently. Pffffffttttt.

I forgot, that should have also been on my list. I just found the writing style irritating. I don't think it has aged well. I didn't remember it because I no longer have it, whereas the others I still have to serve as reminders. There are probably others which I can't remember.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_2189.JPG

Given to me by a work colleague who was lay preacher for one of the Kings born again Christian churches, this book forms part of their Alpha beginners course. Sorry to any born again Christians in NSC, but I got to a couple of chapters in and was bored senseless. I will pay for my sins :(

Also and in start contrast:
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I just found it heavy going.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The Remains of the Day. Just got bored.

I really enjoyed that book. I read it before seeing the film. Enjoyed the book more.
Conversely saw the film adaptation of "Never Let Me Go" before reading the book and enjoyed the film more. Brilliant film.
Both books by the same author, Kazuo Ishiguro

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Funny how we all see things differently - I loved Catch 22 and The Diceman but I tried to read Capt Corelli's Mandolin several times when everyone I knew was telling me what a fantastic book it was and I just found it the most boring tedious book ever!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here