Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loans - how many can we have?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For some odd reason I've believed that we can only have 2 loan signings for the coming season but this information seems to be wrong. Does anyone know better?

I'm sure that there were Premier league sides last season with plenty

I found this website that suggests 4
https://www.premierleague.com/news/60177

"Loans – These are officially called temporary transfers. Under the Premier League rules, Premier League clubs cannot loan to another PL club a player they have acquired in the same window.

During the temporary transfer the player cannot play against the club from where he was transferred. A Premier League can acquire no more than four players through temporary transfers in the same season, with no more than one from the same PL club at the same time. (see Rule V.5, p200)"

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
For some odd reason I've believed that we can only have 2 loan signings for the coming season but this information seems to be wrong. Does anyone know better?

"Loans – These are officially called temporary transfers. Under the Premier League rules, Premier League clubs cannot loan to another PL club a player they have acquired in the same window.

During the temporary transfer the player cannot play against the club from where he was transferred. A Premier League can acquire no more than four players through temporary transfers in the same season, with no more than one from the same PL club at the same time. (see Rule V.5, p200)"

This is in the Argus today:

Only one loan is permitted from another Premier League club, so they cannot borrow anyone else from the reigning champions.

They still have scope under the regulations for one more loan from elsewhere and retain an interest in young Liverpool defender Joe Gomez, but they will not necessarily borrow again.

Hughton said: “Whether that’s something that materialises at the end (of the transfer window), our thinking wasn’t to bring in a certain amount of loans.

“We might have brought none in and we might have brought two in. Izzy became available and it was a good option for us.

“We might not do another loan. We certainly haven’t built our strategy that way. It might happen but it might not.”

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

You haven't quoted all the rules though.

4 loans, but only 2 at any one time.

So, you can have 2 loans before January, and a different 2 loans after January.

( Loans from overseas don't count in all this. )

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You haven't quoted all the rules though.

4 loans, but only 2 at any one time.

So, you can have 2 loans before January, and a different 2 loans after January.

( Loans from overseas don't count in all this. )

Where did you get those figures from? I cannot find them anywhere official looking

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Where did you get those figures from? I cannot find them anywhere official looking
The same manual you quoted from....

Unfortunately it is a 200+ page pdf, and I'm on my phone so it's too grim to try and trawl it for you. Look up the cross reference rule they give, it explains it all.

Note : search for 'temporary transfer' rather than 'loan'.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
V7.4 subject to any conditions imposed by the Board in the exercise of its discretion under Rule V.4.2, the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer shall be the period between two consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary Transfer shall not extend beyond 30 June next after it was entered into;

V.7.5. the maximum number of Temporary Transfers to any one Club registrable in the same Season shall be four and in no circumstances shall more than one be from the same Transferor Club at any one time save there shall be excluded from these numbers any Temporary Transfer of the kind described in V.7.6.1 or V.7.6.2;

V.7.6. not more than two Temporary Transfers shall be registered by a Club at the same time except that there shall be excluded from that number:
V.7.6.1. any Temporary Transfer which become permanent; and
V.7.6.2. the Temporary Transfer of a goalkeeper which in its absolute discretion the Board may allow in circumstances it considers to be
exceptional;

V.7.7. a Club may transfer the registration of no more than one of its goalkeepers by way of temporary Transfer to another Club each Season, subject to any further Temporary Transfer of one of its goalkeepers pursuant to Rule V.7.6.2;

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Case closed! I was struggling to find it through the premier league website. Thank you Postman Pat

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
4 maximum per SEASON from other ENGLISH clubs, but only 2 at any time, and only one from any single club.

Plus as many as we want from NON-ENGLISH clubs, as these are not registered as loans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here