Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New formations

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know it's still early days with possible signings but does anyone get the impression that we'll see a few new variations tactically next season based on the aquistions so far ?
Maybe playing a 10 in the gap behind instead of the two traditional front men.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well that's sort of the point. Will he keep that up though or go back to 4-4-2

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My guess is that we will only see 4-4-2 when we are *chasing a game.

*We may see it more often than we would like.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My guess is that we will only see 4-4-2 when we are *chasing a game.

*We may see it more often than we would like.

This.
I'm not quite sure why this thread has been started. CH has clearly said that the default formation will be 4-4-1-1 (he also said this was one of his two favoured formation when he took over, the other being 4-2-3-1); we've played it in all our friendlies; the new additions to the squad are with this formation in mind.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think it will be mainly 4-4-1-1 with Gross
or 4-2-3-1 using the interchangeable wide men as the 3 behind the #9

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I think it will be mainly 4-4-1-1 with Gross
or 4-2-3-1 using the interchangeable wide men as the 3 behind the #9

This, i reckon. We'll see the same formation and type of football (only of a higher standard, hopefully) that kept us in the championship after Hughton took over. I can see Baldock being pushed out to the left of the three if we play a 4-2-3-1 like he was in Hughtons first six months. Gross, Brown and maybe a new signing will be vying for the spot in the middle of the three.

I do wonder if we need a tougher tackler (with a bit more pace than Sidwell) than we have in a current group of midfielders.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
New formations you say, don't know about that as I am not too good with all these different ways of playing.
But what I do know is that we MUST change the way we defend a lead (or drawing) this season if we go ahead or equalise with say 15 to go and sit back like we have in the past then we are inviting losses.
There are far too many class acts in this league that when required can step up and score a winning goal for fun.
It worked to a certain extent last season as we had, and still have, a good defence, but you can't invite PL players to run with the ball and attack.
I hope Chris has found a better way this season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This, i reckon. We'll see the same formation and type of football (only of a higher standard, hopefully) that kept us in the championship after Hughton took over. I can see Baldock being pushed out to the left of the three if we play a 4-2-3-1 like he was in Hughtons first six months. Gross, Brown and maybe a new signing will be vying for the spot in the middle of the three.

I do wonder if we need a tougher tackler (with a bit more pace than Sidwell) than we have in a current group of midfielders.

Agreed, but this is why we've been linked publicly with Delaney, Neto and perhaps Mooy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Formation is fluid throughout the game. If we start in the 4231 it doesn't take much for one defensive MF to drop back and make a 541 or from there go 352 if the wing backs are playing in more advanced positions. If 4411 is our default position it still has to change many times during the game.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I think we'll go for the ol' CHRIStmas Pudding with Kayal in the middle as the sixpence...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Four at the back and any other combination in front of the back four.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We are going to start out against City in the formation that Pep Guardiola is aiming for 0-10-0 a whole team of midfielders.

I would expect 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3 (which will effectively be 4-5-1) the focus will be on being hard to beat

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here