Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Test Match Special - 60 Years Old

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With Test Match Special celebrating its diamond anniversary this month, here's a point of consideration for regular listeners.

We all hear from older listeners waxing lyrical about the hazy sun-tinted tones of Brian Johnston, John Arlott, EW Swanton, Fred Trueman et al. Obviously, all of the original commentators have long since left the crease, and with Blowers retiring at the end of the summer, my question is - what shape is Test Match Special in these days?

While the style (thanks mostly to Johnners) has long been irreverent, is there too much pining for the ginger beer-soaked, cake-heavy whistle of long wave? Or is TMS in good hands with the current incumbents? Or maybe both?

Over to you...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My apologies I guess when reminded about TMS' birthday and the specific celebratory broadcast I should have started a new thread.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it's in good hands. Aggers has stepped up as the senior voice of TMS, ably supported by the irrepressible Boycott, Vaughn, Dagnell, Tufnell et al.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If there was one job in the world I would pick, it would to commentate on TMS.

They always sound lovely me they are having a great time time doing something they love.

Now Blowers is following Johnners and bearders there's only Aggers left......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Spent many a lunch break sitting in my car listening to TMS a few years ago.
Fred Trueman waxing lyrical about WWF and The Undertaker and Jonners finding out what cake they'd been given that day.

But the best will always be John Arlott.

I know I'm just old fashioned but somehow the guys now just aren't as good. And like Javea Seagull, I detest Boycott. Can't stand the bloke.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I enjoy it althoughI prefer it when they don't waffle on about buses and pigeons as it sounds a bit forced.

Vaughn is excellent with his technical analysis, Tuffers is always light relief, Aggers is good although sometimes gets on my nerves.
I also enjoy the viewpoint of the opposition. Graeme Smith was on today and he was asking questions about county cricket that were really enlightening.

It certainly helps pass time when walking dogs etc.. so to answer the original question I think its in fine health

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Of the new crop of commentators Charles Dagnall is growing on me, I'm not entirely convinced that Dan Norcross is right for TMS and I find Ed Smith a bit of a know it all (although I understand that he is quite popular). Agnew is my favourite by a distance and I enjoy Simon Hughes's analysis.

I'd say it's in reasonable shape just now, there is a good blend of new and old, I'd be interested to see who take over from "Aggers" when he declares. I'm hoping it's Dagnall myself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Haven’t listened to it for years mainly due to the tosser Boycott.

Geoffrey is a lot more fun to listen to then he was to watch bat. He knows his stuff and he doesn't seem to mind having the P taken out of him, Geoffrey Boycott Mastermind with Boycott answering questions on himself was a masterpiece of radio fun.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Of the new crop of commentators Charles Dagnall is growing on me, I'm not entirely convinced that Dan Norcross is right for TMS and I find Ed Smith a bit of a know it all (although I understand that he is quite popular). Agnew is my favourite by a distance and I enjoy Simon Hughes's analysis.

I'd say it's in reasonable shape just now, there is a good blend of new and old, I'd be interested to see who take over from "Aggers" when he declares. I'm hoping it's Dagnall myself.
I struggle with Dagnall for some reason and I can't warm to Norcross, far to smug for his own good. The other ( relative )new boys seem fine, Ed Smith and Simon Mann are fine. The summarisers are all top knotch apart from the young lad Taylor who struggles a bit I think. Personal favourites for me are Vic Marks,Tuffers and Michael Vaughn.... never seem to have enough Vic Marks.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I sort of yearn for the good old days but when I think about it I'm not so sure. I even remember Norman Yardley or think I do. I think the constant is that there's always been personal favourites throughout - and others that were not to one's taste. So I loved Arlott but could take or leave Jonners. Don Mosey was a misery guts; Fred Truman was a grumpy sod. I loved CMJ and quite like Aggers. I've never cared for Blowers and can't stand Tuffers. I like Ed Smith but Boycs can make me reach for the off switch.

My favourite Arlott line was when Cunis - a Kiwi - was coming out to bat: "funny name, Cunis....... neither one thing nor the other."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bloody love TMS and always have. Still sometimes listen to it when at home and leave the TV off.

It's in good hands with Aggers, he's been schooled by the veterans. Vaughan is technically brilliant and so insightful, like Boycott but without the ego, Tuffers is good for light relief but probably more technically knowledgeable than he gets credit for and they have some great guests.

Arlott was the Guvnor for me. Was lucky enough to get to know him and his family a bit through work. His radio voice wasn't any different to what he used day to day, never needed to introduce himself when he called [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
TMS has always been adept at renewing itself. Sometimes it can feel that once a name has gone then a corner stone is missed- but it's rarely the case.

I liked CMJ, a bit plain at times but overflowing with layman's knowledge that no former player of note could match. Brian Johnson's was a departure that really left a cake sized hole.

I think the TMS team know what radio listeners want. And those who have blazed the trail will always set the standard. There is too much history to pollute if they get it wrong- and they know it.

So thankfully none of the Sky school playground. TMS doesn't need to try to entertain- it just does.

I won't really miss Henry Blofield. For me he was part of TMS but a bit of an odd one out. Just there, harmless but a bit irrelevant. Aggers will hold the helm. I just hope that the attack on BBC by the political elite doesn't spoil this part of the institution.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
TMS has always been adept at renewing itself. Sometimes it can feel that once a name has gone then a corner stone is missed- but it's rarely the case.

I liked CMJ, a bit plain at times but overflowing with layman's knowledge that no former player of note could match. Brian Johnson's was a departure that really left a cake sized hole.

I think the TMS team know what radio listeners want. And those who have blazed the trail will always set the standard. There is too much history to pollute if they get it wrong- and they know it.

So thankfully none of the Sky school playground. TMS doesn't need to try to entertain- it just does.

I won't really miss Henry Blofield. For me he was part of TMS but a bit of an odd one out. Just there, harmless but a bit irrelevant. Aggers will hold the helm. I just hope that the attack on BBC by the political elite doesn't spoil this part of the institution.
Pretty much this, but with the caveat that Arlott was the governor, and not just because he went to the same school as me!

It's in good hands.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty much this, but with the caveat that Arlott was the governor, and not just because he went to the same school as me!

It's in good hands.

Same year ? :lolol:

I missed Arlott- just. He retired in 1980, my interest in the game started the following year. I've heard his voice and would dearly love to listen to some commentaries. I'd gladly receive a TMS recording of a Test I don't know the result of from yesteryear and have it on in the background for a few days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same year ? :lolol:

I missed Arlott- just. He retired in 1980, my interest in the game started the following year. I've heard his voice and would dearly love to listen to some commentaries. I'd gladly receive a TMS recording of a Test I don't know the result of from yesteryear and have it on in the background for a few days.

There are few things on Amazon that might be of interest....search 'John Arlott Audio'. No full test commentaries though sadly.

This is good - https://youtu.be/7ZUBzLJZdeA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here