Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U23s

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
If push came to shove and we were a little short for a match day squad later in the season, who from the current U23s do you think could make up the 18 and if necessary come on an not be totally out of their depth for a game?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
None of them in the premier league.

A few might in the champ

edit

Jordan Maguire Drew could if steps up at Lincoln .

He's at the age where will be knocking on door by end of the season if good enough

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The hope must be for the new Norwegian midfielder, Normann but he may go out on loan.

Bjordal possibly ? ??? Seems to be at the stage that he either makes it with us, or moves on to first team football elsewhere.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Is Bjordal back with us? Haven't seen his name mentioned as sub in friendlies nor U23 match last night.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sanchez, Normann (I guess), Kerr (I guess), JMD, Connolly.

And I would have said Luis Garcia just for the LOGO but then we had to go and sell him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is Bjordal back with us? Haven't seen his name mentioned as sub in friendlies nor U23 match last night.

Good question. He's under contract for another year, but hasn't been mentioned.

Gothenburg's season runs longer than ours. I wonder if he has been given a few weeks off? Not going to help his cause with Brighton. Reminiscent of Towell when he came.

Btw I see Sam Adekugbe has joined Gothenburg this month.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gothenburg's season runs longer than ours. I wonder if he has been given a few weeks off?

Btw I see Sam Adekugbe has joined Gothenburg this month.
True. Bjordal's loan only finished on 16th July, and he actually played for Gothenburg on that date.

He'll be having a break. I wonder if he'll join the first team squad after that.

Last edited:

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
All we are saying is give them a chance

We will never know if they are not given a chance. Better this than buy in a foreign mercenary with no love for the club and only here till a better offer comes along. Anyone there Tuesday as Southend started with a 17 year old D. Yearwood more than held his own, one great shot and saw a lot of the ball. Surely one of our youngsters can step up, just needs the chance.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
James Tilley. Always looks above the standard of other under 23's and was deemed good enough to be included in first team squad two years ago. Need to give some of these guys a chance but looking at the pre season friendlies not many are included to see how they perform with first team regulars. We are premiership ready. Hardly anyone comes thru the ranks at the big clubs because they are not given a chance. It is beginning to look like we are following that lead.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It would be great if a couple of the youngsters travelled with the first team for away games and ideally if one got to sit on the bench for every game. They need exposure because it is very very different

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We will never know if they are not given a chance. Better this than buy in a foreign mercenary with no love for the club and only here till a better offer comes along. Anyone there Tuesday as Southend started with a 17 year old D. Yearwood more than held his own, one great shot and saw a lot of the ball. Surely one of our youngsters can step up, just needs the chance.
Yearwood certainly caught the eye - admittedly it was only one game, but would be worth a cheeky bid, I reckon. Our youngsters looked OK when they came on too, especially Connolly (IMHO).

It would be great if a couple of the youngsters travelled with the first team for away games and ideally if one got to sit on the bench for every game. They need exposure because it is very very different
Absolutely this. But unfortunately it seems that it's something Brighton just doesn't do. I'd love to see one on the bench regularly, and being given a 5-10 minute run out if we were 3-0 up (or down) and it would be unlikely to affect the outcome.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
If we had players that were good enough, we would play them. You can't just put a kid on the bench to take up a valuable place, just for the ride.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we had players that were good enough, we would play them. You can't just put a kid on the bench to take up a valuable place, just for the ride.
Why not? A majority of players on the bench aren't going to get on the pitch anyway, and I'm sure there will be the odd occasion this season when we are three goals down with 5 or 10 minutes to go* when we could give a youngster a go (and remember, they might turn out to do very well - we'll never know until they've been tried). It's also very likely that some of our PL opponents will be featuring one or two players that are 'too young' to play for Brighton!

There might even be one or two where we are three goals up too!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why not? A majority of players on the bench aren't going to get on the pitch anyway, and I'm sure there will be the odd occasion this season when we are three goals down with 5 or 10 minutes to go* when we could give a youngster a go (and remember, they might turn out to do very well - we'll never know until they've been tried). It's also very likely that some of our PL opponents will be featuring one or two players that are 'too young' to play for Brighton!

There might even be one or two where we are three goals up too!

I'd do it, not just for sporting, but also for cynical financial reasons.

Any 17/18 year old with a dozen (fleeting substitute) appearances at Premier League level, is AUTOMATICALLY valued at about £10m!

Give Connolly a few minutes. If he's amazing, brilliant for all concerned. If he's even just 'not completely shit' but scores a couple of tap-ins, he'll be worth a fortune.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd do it, not just for sporting, but also for cynical financial reasons.

Any 17/18 year old with a dozen (fleeting substitute) appearances at Premier League level, is AUTOMATICALLY valued at about £10m!

Give Connolly a few minutes. If he's amazing, brilliant for all concerned. If he's even just 'not completely shit' but scores a couple of tap-ins, he'll be worth a fortune.
Apart from your £10M valuation (which I think is just a tad over the top!) I agree with you. And if he scores a couple of tap-ins, he'll be worth his place on the bench and the pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apart from your £10M valuation (which I think is just a tad over the top!) I agree with you. .

I don't think it is, tbh. It's the Southampton system - play them really young and they get over-valued, based on 'potential'.

None of Walcott, AOC, Chambers, etc went for as much as they did because they were THAT good, just because they were playing at so young.

Last year there were reports of Liverpool interest in Sam McQueen (at £12m). He'd played FOUR games, and not even played particularly well in those.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think it is, tbh. It's the Southampton system - play them really young and they get over-valued, based on 'potential'.

None of Walcott, AOC, Chambers, etc went for as much as they did because they were THAT good, just because they were playing at so young.

Last year there were reports of Liverpool interest in Sam McQueen (at £12m). He'd played FOUR games, and not even played particularly well in those.
I think that's go as much to do with it being Southampton as anything! But fair dos - it does work for them, and also to be fair, Walcott and AOC have gone on to play for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here