Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex lad becomes the most expensive player MLS history

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
England-born striker Dom Dwyer, who was released by Norwich City as a schoolboy, has joined Orlando City in a record-breaking Major League Soccer deal.

Dwyer, 26, has been traded to Orlando by Sporting Kansas City in a deal that could reach $1.6m (£1.2m).

Major League Soccer operates under a structure in which player contracts are owned by the league.

"Dom is a fantastic player," Orlando City chief executive Alex Leitao said.

The MLS sets a basic amount of allocation money for each club each year, in addition to the clubs' own salary budget, but additional funds can be given, depending on a number of factors.

These include failure to qualify for the MLS play-offs, the transfer of a club's player to another club outside MLS, and qualification for the Concacaf Champions League, among others.

Dwyer, who played non-league football for Staines Town and King's Lynn before moving to the United States in 2009, was traded for $400,000 (£306,000) in general allocation money, $500,000 (£383,000) in targeted allocation money, and $700,000 (£536,000) in future allocation money based on performance.

That combined total tops the previous MLS record set in January when Orlando traded Kevin Molino to Minnesota United for $450,000 (£344,000) in general allocation money and $200,000 (£153,000) in targeted allocation money.

The general allocation money can be used at any time to sign new players and pay for their wages, while the targeted allocation money works the same way, but must be used within four MLS transfer windows.

Dwyer, who was born in Cuckfield, Sussex, became a US citizen in March.

He scored 19 minutes into his international debut for the USA in a 2-1 friendly win over Ghana in Connecticut on 1 July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40728201

https://youtu.be/vNTZC_-LgYo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weird how US sports franchises also operate much of their process like they are part of a communist collective. No wonder they only excell in games played only in the US and are shit at everything else (sakkerr, etc; sweeping genralisations are the best).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
They have a few journeyman pros from the UK leagues who are very established in their squad which really shows the level. The league seems to be that with a few aging pros already on holiday (but still 'working' hard playing football) and some mega young talent so that the league can increase their value before selling them abroad and keeping a large chunk of the money the club should get....... just to make it fair on the other teams.

el punal

Weird how US sports franchises also operate much of their process like they are part of a communist collective. No wonder they only excell in games played only in the US and are shit at everything else (sakkerr, etc; sweeping genralisations are the best).

Not quite correct. Their teams ALWAYS win the World Series at baseball, so they must be good at something. :wink:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Saw him play a few times when I was living in the US. Decent enough player but nowhere near Premier League standard - bit like Bradley Wright-Phillips who's done well for the Red Bulls.

Good luck to him though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

The way the league franchise clubs seems so odd and as I've not had a coffee yet trying to follow general allocation and future allocation money was too confusing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I wonder why EPL teams haven't taken a look at some MLS players. Michael Bradley looks made for the European leagues for example.

Chelsea bought Matt Miazga of Red Bulls last year - not sure how that panned out. There are some decent players in MLS coming through the various youth academies but in general the standard of players is not that good, about League 1 for most

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Chelsea bought Matt Miazga of Red Bulls last year - not sure how that panned out. There are some decent players in MLS coming through the various youth academies but in general the standard of players is not that good, about League 1 for most

Agreed, a few stand out though, would think someone would take a punt.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wonder why EPL teams haven't taken a look at some MLS players. Michael Bradley looks made for the European leagues for example.

Bradley has played in Europe. I've seen him a couple of times playing for Monchengladbach. I don't recall him standing out.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Bit unfair. However it IS weird that the home of unfettered, unreconstructed capitalism has quite strict rules on club finance and player recruitment for teams in their top leagues to try and create as level playing field as possible. (That's a generalisation too, I don't know how the NHL or NBA are organised).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here