Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Peaty

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's another one of our incredibly successful and dedicated sportspeople that don't get the recognition and public attention they deserve.

Dull sport though. :jester:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Holder of the top 10 times ever recorded in 100m. WR holder in 50 and 100m. Always conscious that he's a role model and tries to get kids into his sport (at 22 too). Kin legend. My SPOTY atm.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Heard an interview with his Mum before the Olympics when she was talking about the dedication needed to ferry him about to training and competitions as a kid. Five a.m. starts so he could train before school and then she went to work. Driving all over the country to comps. No time for holidays etc.

Our lives are dominated by my son's cricket but it put it in perspective. Especially as we get to visit loads of lovely places and sit in the sun watching cricket instead of breathing chlorine in a sports centre, watching an incredibly dull activity. [emoji6]

She also said that he'd achieved his dream by qualifying for the Olympics and that anything else was a bonus. A great attitude to have.

Agree he should get more recognition.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Holder of the top 10 times ever recorded in 100m. WR holder in 50 and 100m. Always conscious that he's a role model and tries to get kids into his sport (at 22 too). Kin legend. My SPOTY atm.

Heard an interview with his Mum before the Olympics when she was talking about the dedication needed to ferry him about to training and competitions as a kid. Five a.m. starts so he could train before school and then she went to work. Driving all over the country to comps. No time for holidays etc.

Our lives are dominated by my son's cricket but it put it in perspective. Especially as we get to visit loads of lovely places and sit in the sun watching cricket instead of breathing chlorine in a sports centre, watching an incredibly dull activity. [emoji6]

She also said that he'd achieved his dream by qualifying for the Olympics and that anything else was a bonus. A great attitude to have.

Agree he should get more recognition.

Great dedication.

And anyone who works hard to improve the profile (and thus funding) of the sport that pays most of my wages, is alright in my book! :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I appreciate this post is from 4 years ago…since then he’s recorded the top 20 fastest times ever plus a load more medals. Legend indeed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
One of our greatest ever sportspeople, dominating for 7 years.

I wish (Hove’s) Alan Weeks was still around for the commentary. He passionately captured these historic moments. Today’s effort was so low key.

Lovely man. I was at school with Beverley, his daughter. I went to their house for her 13th birthday.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can't think of another British sportsperson who has so utterly dominated a solo event as thoroughly as Peaty dominates his discipline right now in recent times. There have been a few with a great team behind them (Froome, Hamilton, Redgrave, Kenny, Hoy) but as a standalone individual in such a physically demanding sport? Hard to think of one.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I can't think of another British sportsperson who has so utterly dominated a solo event as thoroughly as Peaty dominates his discipline right now in recent times. There have been a few with a great team behind them (Froome, Hamilton, Redgrave, Kenny, Hoy) but as a standalone individual in such a physically demanding sport? Hard to think of one.

Farah maybe (if you can ignore the drug whispers). Ben Ainslee I guess would sit in your first group. But overall, yes, you’re right!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Old school commentator, brilliant work and a love of several sports.

Anything on ice or in the pool, he captured the moments.

He used to be the announcer at the Sports Stadium for Brighton Tigers games, I remember him as I was lucky enough to have a season ticket for Tigers last ever season at the Sports Stadium. My parents were friends with him and his wife from the late 1940's when they all lived near each other in Hove, they always said what a nice guy he was.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He used to be the announcer at the Sports Stadium for Brighton Tigers games, I remember him as I was lucky enough to have a season ticket for Tigers last ever season at the Sports Stadium. My parents were friends with him and his wife from the late 1940's when they all lived near each other in Hove, they always said what a nice guy he was.

My Dad and I think he took my older brothers, used to watch the Tigers in the 60’s at the SS. I remember them lauding Alan Weeks.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Yes, I used to watch the Tigers on a Sunday night. That last season they beat Wembley Lions for the cup, and did the double by winning the league.
Shameful by Brighton council not building a new ice rink to accommodate ice hockey.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Yes, I used to watch the Tigers on a Sunday night. That last season they beat Wembley Lions for the cup, and did the double by winning the league.
Shameful by Brighton council not building a new ice rink to accommodate ice hockey.
Were you there for these two games?
The last game at the Sports Stadium against Paisley Mohawks stands out in my memory, the place was packed with standing room only at the back of the two upper stands. Paisley Mohawks players all stayed behind on the ice at the end and the two teams lined up facing each other as players from the past were introduced, presentations and speeches made, all in all a very sad night with lots of tears, but some great memories of epic Sunday nights watching the best ice hockey team in the country.
They started demolishing the Sports Stadium the very next day.
:down:

This was the same Paisley Mohawks who played Tigers the previous year when the Stadium management had invited the Top Rank management to see what a marvellous and exciting family game Ice Hockey was. Paisley were considered the 'bad boys' of the league and had the two Brennan brothers as the main antagonists, and as most people know it is a very 'physical' sport. The game ended in the biggest fight ever seen at the sports Stadium with both squads slugging it out on the ice, equipment/bodies all over the place, and a lot of the crowd trying to get involved. It was headlines on the back page of the Argus together with a large photo and with words like "Disgraceful scenes at the Sports Stadium last night"!
Well it was exciting and we all loved it, apparently Top Rank management didn't! But the general consensus of opinion was that Top Rank had already made their minds up that they weren't going to build a rink for Ice Hockey anyway.
So bollox to them!
:lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here