Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After a few friendly's whats your feeling so far?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
For us its a big step into the unknown as TB has said but I think we could be a fairly solid, hard working team that could grind a few surprising points out!

And of course we only need to be better then three other teams!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For us its a big step into the unknown as TB has said but I think we could be a fairly solid, hard working team that could grind a few surprising points out!

And of course we only need to be better then three other teams!

I think we've looked very good. I know we've only played lower league teams, but the new players have clearly made a significant difference & improvement to the team, and therefore squad (I am mainly referring to Suttner and Gross). I expect Brown to add something to the front line as well, as he showed at the top end of the Championship last season. I am encouraged that with a couple to 4 more recruits in key positions we will have no obvious weaknesses, and a serious injury crisis aside, will be able to compete.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Personally, I feel like we've done really well... Haven't missed Knockaert as much as I thought we would... Solly is on fire and I hope he carries it on into the new season...

Get another Striker in, a back-up winger (Knockaert and Solly first), CM, and a loan full-back and we're done IMO - but we can wait for some of those...

Positive as it stands!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I feel like we haven't really tested ourselves yet. This list of friendlies would be useful for another crack at the top 6 of the championship, but we need to be playing against teams where we aren't getting the lions share of the possession and are having to work hard to win the ball back and play counter attacking football.

All in all, opposition has been too weak so far. Should improve with Norwich / Atletico

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Friendlies... give no indication of how things will go, they never do

As long as you are not getting tonked everytime they count for nothing come the opening day

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I feel like we haven't really tested ourselves yet. This list of friendlies would be useful for another crack at the top 6 of the championship, but we need to be playing against teams where we aren't getting the lions share of the possession and are having to work hard to win the ball back and play counter attacking football.

All in all, opposition has been too weak so far. Should improve with Norwich / Atletico

Yep. these will be the true check of where we are. Norwich are a strong side, as we saw at the end of last season, and Atletico, well, they're very good :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Friendlies... give no indication of how things will go, they never do

As long as you are not getting tonked everytime they count for nothing come the opening day

I'm not judging the results, I'm looking at how the team is set up and pairings are working together. Got a feeling Sidwell might surprise I few this season!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not judging the results, I'm looking at how the team is set up and pairings are working together. Got a feeling Sidwell might surprise I few this season!

People in the Police Box based on his shooting so far [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pretty encouraging for me so far (although only based on stuttering viewing of Player streams). New recruits seem to have integrated quickly and look very promising.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looking solely at style of play and technical issues (as far as you can in friendlies) we clearly have pace and some of the one touch passing has been excellent. Suttner's crossing looks exceptional and I've appreciated Gross' positional sense. March seems to have heeded his own advice on being sharper when chances present and the squad looks nearly there in terms of fitness.
For all our results last season I still think we are vulnerable to pace and will need someone playing in front of the back four (especially when it's effectively a holding two as the fullbacks push up).
For that reason I'm looking forward to seeing us pinned back by better opposition to see how we set up and how we cope.
All-in-all it's been encouraging but the real tests are ahead and there are still key players to sign.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think we look like a much more fluid attacking team.

The teams we play will undoubtedly score goals against us, with the quality they have. Which means we need to score more.

Rather than patient build-up against Championship teams that put 10 men behind the ball, and grabbing a late goal or two, I foresee more high scoring games (with us hopefully on the winning side).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
People in the Police Box based on his shooting so far [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pretty encouraging for me so far (although only based on stuttering viewing of Player streams). New recruits seem to have integrated quickly and look very promising.

Clearly too close in.
We all know SS needs to be at least 45 yards out!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My Albion mojo is now on the rise. It's been an encouraging start so far. The main positive is the form of the new players, all set to make an impact at first team level. Whilst there are still a few holes to plug in this squad, i'd say we already look better than we did last season.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Looking solely at style of play and technical issues (as far as you can in friendlies) we clearly have pace and some of the one touch passing has been excellent. Suttner's crossing looks exceptional and I've appreciated Gross' positional sense. March seems to have heeded his own advice on being sharper when chances present and the squad looks nearly there in terms of fitness.
For all our results last season I still think we are vulnerable to pace and will need someone playing in front of the back four (especially when it's effectively a holding two as the fullbacks push up).
For that reason I'm looking forward to seeing us pinned back by better opposition to see how we set up and how we cope.
All-in-all it's been encouraging but the real tests are ahead and there are still key players to sign.

Agree with most of that, but I think the speed of thought may catch us out at the start rather then pace.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Heaven forbid if anyone was negative about our performances, they'd be met with a tirade of IT'S ONLY A TRAINING EXERCISE FFS :lolol:

Been very encouraged personally, much more fluidity to the play than we're used to which is the benefit of having Gross who seems to be operating as a false10.

Looking forward to the sterner tests ahead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed.png

We should sell the Premier League place to the highest bidder and return to the Championship.
Completely pointless taking part in a competition the club has no desire to be competitive in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here