• I don't rate Skalak and I didn't rate Barnes

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I rate Skalak and Barnes

Votes: 73 47.7%

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My theory is fans who can't see what Skalak contributes were equally oblivious to the role played by Ashley Barnes. Others see the same for Bong, but let's keep it simple. So where do you stand?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My theory is fans who can't see what Skalak contributes were equally oblivious to the role played by Ashley Barnes. Others see the same for Bong, but let's keep it simple. So where do you stand?

Like Skalak, as does Hughton...

Think Banjo Barnes is over-rated in some people's eyes...

Bong hasn't been the same since his injury lay-off and has struggled to assert - or maybe that's been because of who's playing in front of him, which brings you neatly back to point one.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't answer as I rated Barnes all the way from him joining us at Withdean to his surprise departure. I defended him to the hilt on NSC.

It was depressing when the Barnes haters appeared from nowhere in the Amex era, usually CMS lovers, who saw everything in binary terms.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Problem is these days everyone is prone to using extreme language to describe things so everyone is either '*f*****g s**t' (as the father and son combo behind me repeated about every 30 seconds at Brentford last season) or 'f*****g brilliant' when the truth is they're all pretty good most of the time, but the best are better more often. I like Skalak, he works hard and has fantastic delivery but lacks a bit of pace and doesn't tackle particularly well. Really not sure how well he'll do in the PL - suspect he'll be a very occasional sub once we've (LOL) completed our recruitment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Skalak - hard working, not the most talented but great attitude, a managers player.

Barnes - hard working, not the most talented but great attitude, a managers player.

Neither own the brightest bulb in the lighthouse.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Prefer Barnes to Skalak, still don't know his best position and now got the Germans for set pieces.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think Skalak is ok and puts in a shift no world beater.
Liked Barnes and couldn't believe that others couldn't see it.
Don't rate Bong, the odd good game is outweighed by his poor ones. Get's wrong side of his man too often too. It's all very well being decent overlapping but you have to be able to defend as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think Skalak is ok and puts in a shift no world beater.
Liked Barnes and couldn't believe that others couldn't see it.
Don't rate Bong, the odd good game is outweighed by his poor ones. Get's wrong side of his man too often too. It's all very well being decent overlapping but you have to be able to defend as well.

Interesting - I think Bong defends well most of the time. He's brilliant at shepherding attackers away from goal, has good pace and can put a decent cross in.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Two different types of player.

Skalak. Inconsistent and typically average winger.
All he has imo is a pretty good free kick and cross, but a very average everything else.

Barnes. Pretty consistent, typically a good striker.
Pushed out wide by Poyet in the last year or so.
He was usually very good, for where we were at the time.

Bong. Inconsistent. He will be great, average and poor all within 90 minutes.
Poor first touch and panics under pressure.
Great vision up the line, very good passer, strong and quick runner.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Skalak on his day is quality as against Norwich last season just needs to put in consistent performances. Barnes is ok grafts hard gets the odd goal, IMO Hemed is a far better striker others will and have disagreed but each to their own.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Skalak on his day is quality as against Norwich last season just needs to put in consistent performances. Barnes is ok grafts hard gets the odd goal, IMO Hemed is a far better striker others will and have disagreed but each to their own.

I wasn't at either game. Genuinely, was it Norwich at home or away. I'm very aware of the contrasting results/scores.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I would welcome Barnes back, not a player who inspires fan adoration but then again (neither was Murray first time round) but has great experience and character and would be very useful.

Stumpy Tim

Skalak has a good work ethic and a tremendous delivery. He's not going to dribble past his man, but neither did Beckham. I do wish Skalak would realise that himself though, and just get the ball and ping it in the box. He needs to STOP trying to get round his man - get a yard and cross it. That's it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here