Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Porter, barber, Sackville road

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone get your hair cut there in the sixties and 70s? I got my first sniff of the excitement of The Albion there, watching the blue and white scarved, swarming along on their way to the game while I waited for my short back and sides. Mr Porter was old school, looked a bit like Henry Cooper. My dad got a bit irritated when I asked him, one time, what Mr Porter meant when he asked a customer if he wanted 'anything for the weekend'. Later, in my early teens, it was quite a thrill to go there as he had copies of Penthouse for customers to read while waiting. And you could smoke. **** me, the man would be behind bars for corrupting minors these days. :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone get your hair cut there in the sixties and 70s? I got my first sniff of the excitement of The Albion there, watching the blue and white scarved, swarming along on their way to the game while I waited for my short back and sides. Mr Porter was old school, looked a bit like Henry Cooper. My dad got a bit irritated when I asked him, one time, what Mr Porter meant when he asked a customer if he wanted 'anything for the weekend'. Later, in my early teens, it was quite a thrill to go there as he had copies of Penthouse for customers to read while waiting. And you could smoke. **** me, the man would be behind bars for corrupting minors these days. :lolol:

Were you one of those long haired hippy types that attended the university of Greenham Common :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Were you one of those long haired hippy types that attended the university of Greenham Common :wink:

Not when aged 7-14! Later I was a greasy long haired grammar school type, but my anti nuclear imperative came (and went) much later. Today I'm in favour of a nuclear first strike. The white house, Croydon, Mugabe's palace, Van Hoogstraten's mausoleum, most of the middle East, North Korea, bring it on (they say you get madder and more right wing as you approach senility, and I am surfing the hypoglycaemia like a *******). punk::lolol:

Anyway, I won't let you hijack my thread. This is about the smell of Number six, Brut, Watney's Red Barrel, and haircuts that breached every clause and stanza of current health and safety regulations, while waving Rule Brittania :whistle:

D

Deleted User X18H

No, but I do remember Bullens the sweet shop from when I was at junior school.

Burwash Road. Later Silks now something plastic and franchised.

You must have gone to West Blatch. Whiteman or Rawson? Or both?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As I now live very close to Sackville Rd I'm curious where the barbers was?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If Porter was the bloke that had that Barbers in the 50's he cut my hair until I was earning enough money to get it cut a bit nicer somewhere else. He had a board to put across the arms of the chair for really little people to sit on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I now live very close to Sackville Rd I'm curious where the barbers was?

I think it may wll still be a barbers! attached barbr2.JPG

porter.JPG

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Burwash Road. Later Silks now something plastic and franchised.

You must have gone to West Blatch. Whiteman or Rawson? Or both?

No, it was roughly where Conway Court is today. There was a slip road off Sackville leading up to Ellen Street where Goldstone Junior School was at the time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, it was roughly where Conway Court is today. There was a slip road off Sackville leading up to Ellen Street where Goldstone Junior School was at the time.

Which is where my granny lived. First in a victorian flat, then in one of the semi high rise blocks that rose after a couple of streets were demolished.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It was the shop with the for sale sign on. The door was on the left side. Funny the things you remember, random.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here