Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What books, you read as a kid have you passed on to your kids?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
This has defiantly influenced by summer holidays and the Roald Dahl thread. Eldest Baby Badger just turned 7 and as if by magic has taken to reading on his own with gusto. (Proud dad, six months ago I could not, in my wildest dreams have seen this happen as he was struggling so much) As a reward for him reading his first full book (Diary of a wimpy kid, disappointingly not about the old British burger chain) I went and bought some books from Ebay that I read as a kid to help encourage him.

We are reading Stig of the Dump at the moment and I had forgotten quite how amazing that book is. Spot on for a 7 year old.
Looking for more recommendations to fill up his book shelves, what books, you read as a kid have you passed on to your kids?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
fattythiny.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Currently reading "Goalkeepers Are Different" with my 10 year old.

As he is going to be a professional footballer, with someone like Stoke or West Brom if he isn't good enough for one of the Big 7, then Ronnie's story is compelling. The Kop swaying, all that ee-aye-adio stuff, blokes who are a bit queer and inside lefts all take a bit of explaining but generally it still works...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My son loved The Phantom Tollbooth but, rather surprisingly didn't care for Stig of the Dump (my daughter liked that though).

Nor does my son like the William books, my particular favourite as a child, but, again, my daughter likes them. But both my kids like the Narnia series, books I loved when I was 9 or 10.

One of my favourites was the 35th May by Erich Kästner, a book that appears to be out of print in the UK. I've bought a German copy and have been steadily translating it so I can read that to him next. I loved it as a kid, I hope he appreciates the effort.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just loads! I used to read them a chapter a night, pretty much up to secondary school age. Marvellous to re-read them, and even better for reading them out loud. Wouldn't have missed that for the world!
Special favourites (in no particular age range order): Knight's Fee and Warrior Scarlet (Rosemary Sutcliffe stories set in Sussex), Ivor the engine, the Huge Adventure of Little Mutt, Tom's Midnight Garden, most of the Little Grey Rabbit books, Lord of the Rings (read aloud; all the way through; twice!) and many others.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When my kids were young it was Enid Blyton, then Narnia, then Swallows & Amazons, Gulliver's Travels and Treasure Island. Drew the line at King Solomon's Mines though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The Secret Garden - Francis Hodgson Burnett

A book any child or grown up would enjoy reading

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here