Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking Football Fans

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Have noticed especially over the last few years since the smoking ban 10 ears ago the willingness of clubs up and down the country to relax initial policy and permit their smoking fraternity to partake outside at half time(both home and away fan). This was unheard of initially following the ban but now clubs are wise to “customer” needs and are making adjustments for outdoor areas at specific times

Why is the Amex so out of date and not in line with many other clubs policies on this issue?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
How many clubs actually do this though? I know it happens but I can only think of Burton and Reading off the top of my head. Oh and Fulham but I believe that's more a case of them turning a blind eye rather than having a specific smoking area.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How many clubs actually do this though? I know it happens but I can only think of Burton and Reading off the top of my head. Oh and Fulham but I believe that's more a case of them turning a blind eye rather than having a specific smoking area.

Derby and Millwall.

Think Charlton also.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having to go a whole 2 hours without a smoke must be a real hardship with the shakes developing. What on earth do these people do at work, have a smoke break every 45 minutes.

No smoking should mean just that, if you can't cope at the Amex don't go, simple really.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't see how our stadium could accommodate this for a minority of supporters. It would mean opening gates in all areas of the ground and providing sufficient stewards to cover these areas. Security concerns as well as additional stewarding costs would prohibit it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having to go a whole 2 hours without a smoke must be a real hardship with the shakes developing. What on earth do these people do at work, have a smoke break every 45 minutes.

No smoking should mean just that, if you can't cope at the Amex don't go, simple really.

Not a smoker myself but live and let live as long as it's not in my face.................I wish they'd stop the vaping in the stands though. Great wafting clouds of foul-smelling shite - worse than smoke sometimes.

I'm a smoker but never feel the need to have one in the very short time you are actually inside The Amex.

Also, the thought of having to climb those bloody stairs twice on match day does not appeal to me in the slightest.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Even if they did at The Amex, I'm not sure I could make it down from the WSU, have a smoke, and then back up to the WSU during half time :lolol:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Exactly. There are also plenty of smoking aides likes gums and sprays for example. I know someone that has missed so many late goals just because he can't hang on to the very end and rushes for his ciggie a good 10 mins from the end. Bizarre

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't smoke and there's no reason at all to stop fans going out at half time. Extra costs ? Not at all. There's hundreds of stewards at a game and at half time you don't need many to patrol the stands.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i do believe this is the "im all right jack" selfish attitude that many clubs are ignoring and instead making provisions for their smoking supporters up and down the country to have a puff at half time.

Continue with outdated stupid by all means just because you dont smoke

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Just get a vape and bang on that in the toilets

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm a smoker but never feel the need to have one in the very short time you are actually inside The Amex.

Also, the thought of having to climb those bloody stairs twice on match day does not appeal to me in the slightest.

do you as a smoker puff at the multiple amount of away grounds that let you puff outside or do you say cant be bothered to leave the stadium and i will wait until we leave after 90 mins

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
do you as a smoker puff at the multiple amount of away grounds that let you puff outside or do you say cant be bothered to leave the stadium and i will wait until we leave after 90 mins

As a smoker, the only away ground I've ever had a fag in is Charlton as the stewards seemed to turn a blind eye to anyone smoking in that alley where you come in. To be honest, it's one of those situations where I'm not actually that bothered about having a smoke at half time, but if I can, I will.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i do believe this is the "im all right jack" selfish attitude that many clubs are ignoring and instead making provisions for their smoking supporters up and down the country to have a puff at half time.

Ffs. It's a football match not a smoking club. Sometimes you just have to chose your priorities. I like craft beer....I don't for one minute expect the club to lay on such beer for me....I wait until the match has finished.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I know someone that has missed so many late goals just because he can't hang on to the very end and rushes for his ciggie a good 10 mins from the end. Bizarre

Presumably the friend you know would be still in the ground at the end if he had a chance for a puff at half time outside.........would you object to him having that option?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So what do these smokers do on their way to these 'enlightened' grounds if they go by train or coach?
If they can cope with a 2 hour train journey they can cope at the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here