Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Keyboard player ever ?

Warner Edwards

Aug 2, 2017
With limited knowledge of some of the other mentions I'll echo Richard Wright and Rick Wakeman and add Mark Kelly of Marillion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Saw them in Bristol on the same tour - as good as they ever were. The 2017 album they were promoting, Hippopotamus, is up there with Kimono my House and Propaganda from the '70s (there isn't a weak track on it), and their mid-1990s 'comeback' album, Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins is also a classic.

Absolute geniuses, musically and lyrically. Yet like a lot of people who first saw them on Top of the Pops performing 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Us', I thought they were a one-hit-wonder novelty band!

I've loved The Number One Song In Heaven for 40 years, plus many of their other songs. The former would be in my Desert Island Discs. Being into synth pop, New Wave and dance music, to me it's perfection.

Life's distractions including bringing up a family, I've never seen Sparks. Only stumbled across this 2017 performance yesterday on youtube ...love it. The backing band are all fantastic musicians, giving a wall of sound. I must keep an eye on Sparks future dates in the UK.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I find this guys videos interesting

Run down on what thinks is the best keyboard intro's

His videos are excellent. I'm much more of guitar fan but would nominate two players from two of my favourite bands.

Brighton's own Dave Greenfield from The Stranglers and Mike Lindup from Level 42.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Jeez, 13 pages and no one got the answer right. You folk need to broaden your music horizons, the answer is Art Tatum.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
All these are or were great in their own ways cannot pick a best out of them

Keith Edmunson
John Paul Jones
John Lord
Dave Greenfield
Rick Wakeman
Billy Preston

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Duran Duran :laugh: FFS, they could barely hold their instruments, let alone play them.

Instead (in no particular order) who could all play with more than one finger...
Rick Wakeman
Vangelis
Tony Banks
Keith Emerson
Jon Lord
Richard Wright
Patrick Moraz
...and several others.

But NOT Duran Duran.

John Taylor was a very good bass player. I give you exhibit A, Rio track by track thingy with the bassline isolated.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
De Tellivo, full back Championship Manager season 97/98 Italian version. Brilliant player consistently in and around the 9s every match.

Edit: Ah keyboard players!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I always found that Elton John could knock out a tune now and then. Pretty good live as were Ian McLagan ( Small Faces and Faces) Rod Argent (Zombies) and Gillian Gilbert (New order).

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Very surprised no one has mentioned Bruce Hornby and of course Oscar Peters on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
After much thought (and playing Speed King multiple times) it has to be John Lord,with honourable mentions for Stevie Winwood and Alan Price.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No idea if he has already been mentioned and many on here won’t have a clue who he was because he died in 1994 but played piano for the Stones, The Beatles and The Kinks in their heydays

Nicky Hopkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUZDzEN_I0

Very good call, also with Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart early doors, and Steve Miller, oh, the who too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here