Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

27 Aug 2016: Football/History Name Challenge!

0 Not allowed!
    The above date gives you the clue to two surnames which connect with our city in Football AND in historical terms.
    Can anyone work out who they both are today but also how the surnames connect in the past. Think pubs and bottling and business!
    There is a surname in the middle. Purnell.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Can we have another clue please?
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

1 Not allowed!
      Well I've googled Purnell and it's come up with a "famous" chef in Birmingham who posted naked pics of himself and sent them to a "fan".

So on that basis my choice of surnames would be Dick and Bollocks. Am I close?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Thomas Taunton (senior) was a wine merchant who purchased some buildings in Bury Street, Guildford in 1834 for £875. Four years later he bought further buildings there, including a malthouse, for £980. Here he set up the Castle Brewery, but died in 1839 leaving the business in his will to his brothers Jonathan and John and to one of his sons also called Thomas.

It seems that Thomas (junior) was at first reluctant to take on the brewery. Eventually he did, but, in 1842 he sold a part of it for £1,200 to a John Henry Lascelles, a brewer’s cooper of Southwark.

Back to the Lascelles family where, as mentioned, John Henry Lascelles had bought part of the brewery in 1842 owned by Thomas Taunton (junior). John Henry Lascelles died in 1849, but his wife Maria continued to run their Castle Brewery with the help of three sons eventually passing it on to one of them, Thomas, in 1867.

The Lascelles also owned a pub in Guildford called the Jolly Butcher and the Corn Meter in Godalming. And in 1867 they got hold of the Malthouse Tap that had been built within the precincts of the brewery fronting the Portsmouth Road by Thomas Taunton.

So in 1875, Charles Hoskins Master (of the Friary Brewery) sold the Cannon Brewery to Thomas Lascelles and George Tickner. So now they had both the Castle and Cannon Breweries (next to one another) and ran them as one. Not only did they brew beer, but they made their own mineral waters and soft drinks. In 1889, they formed their business into a limited company with a number of tied houses in Guildford including the Elm Tree, the Jolly Butcher, the Bell at Stoke, the Queen’s Head, the Seven Stars and the Leopard; with pubs in the vicinity including the Harrow at Compton, the Jolly Farmer at Whitmoor Common, the New Inn at Send, the Kings Head at Holmbury St Mary the Queen’s Head at East Clandon, the half Moon at Ripley, the Onslow Arms at Clandon and the Ship at Worplesdon, to name a few.

In 1927, the Friary, Holroyd & Healy Breweries Co Ltd bought out Lascelles Tickner & Co, Ltd, obtaining all pubs on a leasehold basis. The takeover was completed in 1934 when Lascelles Tickner went into voluntary liquidation.

The Bury Street premises was then occupied by the soft drinks firm Purnell & Co Ltd. Edgar Purnell had come from Sussex to Guildford in about 1905 to manage Brighton and Worthing mineral water firm Shelvey & Co’s new factory in Onslow Street Guildford.

27 Aug 2016

Newcastle v Brighton: Well-taken goals from Jamaal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey sealed a great night for the Toon Army.

0 Not allowed!
      Smashing.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

1 Not allowed!
      I'm going to find a passage from the New Testament now & see if I can make some tenuous link to a non-famous game.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm going to find a passage from the New Testament now & see if I can make some tenuous link to a non-famous game.
      Go on then.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Jesus saves but Hemed scores the rebound links well to our 3rd goal yesterday

0 Not allowed!
      Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

I'm sure it was a good little brain-teaser, but I'm very confused about what that says, maybe it's just me.
      Football. F**king football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor, half-alive B*stards. - Danny Baker