Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

27 Aug 2016: Football/History Name Challenge!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The above date gives you the clue to two surnames which connect with our city in Football AND in historical terms.
Can anyone work out who they both are today but also how the surnames connect in the past. Think pubs and bottling and business!
There is a surname in the middle. Purnell.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Thomas Taunton (senior) was a wine merchant who purchased some buildings in Bury Street, Guildford in 1834 for £875. Four years later he bought further buildings there, including a malthouse, for £980. Here he set up the Castle Brewery, but died in 1839 leaving the business in his will to his brothers Jonathan and John and to one of his sons also called Thomas.

It seems that Thomas (junior) was at first reluctant to take on the brewery. Eventually he did, but, in 1842 he sold a part of it for £1,200 to a John Henry Lascelles, a brewer’s cooper of Southwark.

Back to the Lascelles family where, as mentioned, John Henry Lascelles had bought part of the brewery in 1842 owned by Thomas Taunton (junior). John Henry Lascelles died in 1849, but his wife Maria continued to run their Castle Brewery with the help of three sons eventually passing it on to one of them, Thomas, in 1867.

The Lascelles also owned a pub in Guildford called the Jolly Butcher and the Corn Meter in Godalming. And in 1867 they got hold of the Malthouse Tap that had been built within the precincts of the brewery fronting the Portsmouth Road by Thomas Taunton.

So in 1875, Charles Hoskins Master (of the Friary Brewery) sold the Cannon Brewery to Thomas Lascelles and George Tickner. So now they had both the Castle and Cannon Breweries (next to one another) and ran them as one. Not only did they brew beer, but they made their own mineral waters and soft drinks. In 1889, they formed their business into a limited company with a number of tied houses in Guildford including the Elm Tree, the Jolly Butcher, the Bell at Stoke, the Queen’s Head, the Seven Stars and the Leopard; with pubs in the vicinity including the Harrow at Compton, the Jolly Farmer at Whitmoor Common, the New Inn at Send, the Kings Head at Holmbury St Mary the Queen’s Head at East Clandon, the half Moon at Ripley, the Onslow Arms at Clandon and the Ship at Worplesdon, to name a few.

In 1927, the Friary, Holroyd & Healy Breweries Co Ltd bought out Lascelles Tickner & Co, Ltd, obtaining all pubs on a leasehold basis. The takeover was completed in 1934 when Lascelles Tickner went into voluntary liquidation.

The Bury Street premises was then occupied by the soft drinks firm Purnell & Co Ltd. Edgar Purnell had come from Sussex to Guildford in about 1905 to manage Brighton and Worthing mineral water firm Shelvey & Co’s new factory in Onslow Street Guildford.

27 Aug 2016

Newcastle v Brighton: Well-taken goals from Jamaal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey sealed a great night for the Toon Army.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Smashing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to find a passage from the New Testament now & see if I can make some tenuous link to a non-famous game.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

I'm sure it was a good little brain-teaser, but I'm very confused about what that says, maybe it's just me. :wozza:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Isaiah 40:31

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint

That's about Orlandi to Buckley to Ulloa 5 minutes after half time 17th March 2013, I think

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Isaiah 40:31

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint

That's about Orlandi to Buckley to Ulloa 5 minutes after half time 17th March 2013, I think

:mad: Imaginative but not even close.............

el punal

I'm going to find a passage from the New Testament now & see if I can make some tenuous link to a non-famous game.

Well there's an Albion link there somewhere. I mean we did try to get Abraham on loan (but he's really Old Testament). How about us trying to get Jesus from Man.City, and no, I'm not expecting miracles

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thomas Taunton (senior) was a wine merchant who purchased some buildings in Bury Street, Guildford in 1834 for £875. Four years later he bought further buildings there, including a malthouse, for £980. Here he set up the Castle Brewery, but died in 1839 leaving the business in his will to his brothers Jonathan and John and to one of his sons also called Thomas.

It seems that Thomas (junior) was at first reluctant to take on the brewery. Eventually he did, but, in 1842 he sold a part of it for £1,200 to a John Henry Lascelles, a brewer’s cooper of Southwark.

Back to the Lascelles family where, as mentioned, John Henry Lascelles had bought part of the brewery in 1842 owned by Thomas Taunton (junior). John Henry Lascelles died in 1849, but his wife Maria continued to run their Castle Brewery with the help of three sons eventually passing it on to one of them, Thomas, in 1867.

The Lascelles also owned a pub in Guildford called the Jolly Butcher and the Corn Meter in Godalming. And in 1867 they got hold of the Malthouse Tap that had been built within the precincts of the brewery fronting the Portsmouth Road by Thomas Taunton.

So in 1875, Charles Hoskins Master (of the Friary Brewery) sold the Cannon Brewery to Thomas Lascelles and George Tickner. So now they had both the Castle and Cannon Breweries (next to one another) and ran them as one. Not only did they brew beer, but they made their own mineral waters and soft drinks. In 1889, they formed their business into a limited company with a number of tied houses in Guildford including the Elm Tree, the Jolly Butcher, the Bell at Stoke, the Queen’s Head, the Seven Stars and the Leopard; with pubs in the vicinity including the Harrow at Compton, the Jolly Farmer at Whitmoor Common, the New Inn at Send, the Kings Head at Holmbury St Mary the Queen’s Head at East Clandon, the half Moon at Ripley, the Onslow Arms at Clandon and the Ship at Worplesdon, to name a few.

In 1927, the Friary, Holroyd & Healy Breweries Co Ltd bought out Lascelles Tickner & Co, Ltd, obtaining all pubs on a leasehold basis. The takeover was completed in 1934 when Lascelles Tickner went into voluntary liquidation.

The Bury Street premises was then occupied by the soft drinks firm Purnell & Co Ltd. Edgar Purnell had come from Sussex to Guildford in about 1905 to manage Brighton and Worthing mineral water firm Shelvey & Co’s new factory in Onslow Street Guildford.

27 Aug 2016

Newcastle v Brighton: Well-taken goals from Jamaal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey sealed a great night for the Toon Army.

I can't believe I didn't work that out!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
And you think the OP was a brain teaser?

GT the brain teaser requires effort and research. Something many, many NSC denizens lack in spades. In fact they are so much more comfortable trying to be flip off the cuff! My summing up is that most can only flip one off the cuff in a particular fashion! Maybe I'll come up with another teaser next Sunday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
GT the brain teaser requires effort and research. Something many, many NSC denizens lack in spades. In fact they are so much more comfortable trying to be flip off the cuff! My summing up is that most can only flip one off the cuff in a particular fashion! Maybe I'll come up with another teaser next Sunday.
My comment was not so much about your brain-teaser as it was about the total brain-teasing impossibility of translating the sentence, "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like." The words used are English, but as to what the language is.............:facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here