Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub discussion : Can you live from only buying items/food made in Britain?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, you can.

Kangaroo would be off the menu, though, as would ostrich, so some of the posher noshers would obviously starve to death. Shame that..............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
CAN you live only on UK items? Absolutely. Would I want to? Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My wine bill would probably go up considerably :ohmy:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Live..of course yes but you`d have to live without a lot of items we take for granted these days. TV,phone.computer etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. But it would be a pretty grim existence.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
There have been a number of chefs that have tried "local only" menus for a while - Jun Tanaka for example, pretty successfully. Biggest issue is probably not being able to use citrus and pepper, plus the low variety of fruit and veg available in winter and the relatively short seasons we would have for more exotic fruit and veg. But you can grow a lot of non-indigenous stuff here - I've got aubergines and tomatillos growing well In Hove right now, not even in a greenhouse, and stuff like peppers and chillis etc are commonly grown here.
Pickling, freezing, salting and drying of summer / autumn gluts would help maintain varied diets in the colder months (again lots of chefs experimenting here). You would also look to expand the range of 'local' seafood and meats you'd use - octopus, cuttlefish, limpets, rabbit, hare, squirrel for example are hard to find in UK shops but the situation is improving.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Before I commit, are we able to grow chickpeas (for hummus) and avocados in this country?

Being vegan or veggie on a British only diet would be grim.

Imagine there'd be lots more greenhouses for extending growing season and come the end of winter the choice of fresh veg would be pretty limited and we'd have to use tinned/preserved produce a lot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There have been a number of chefs that have tried "local only" menus for a while - Jun Tanaka for example, pretty successfully. Biggest issue is probably not being able to use citrus and pepper, plus the low variety of fruit and veg available in winter and the relatively short seasons we would have for more exotic fruit and veg. But you can grow a lot of non-indigenous stuff here - I've got aubergines and tomatillos growing well In Hove right now, not even in a greenhouse, and stuff like peppers and chillis etc are commonly grown here.
Pickling, freezing, salting and drying of summer / autumn gluts would help maintain varied diets in the colder months (again lots of chefs experimenting here). You would also look to expand the range of 'local' seafood and meats you'd use - octopus, cuttlefish, limpets, rabbit, hare, squirrel for example are hard to find in UK shops but the situation is improving.

This post coincides with one I made in the restaurant thread about a place which is part of a new "brutal dining" trend here. Like the chef you mention the trend is to only use food from within the region and the more noticeable things are the lack of citrus fruits and lack of pepper at https://www.nobelhartundschmutzig.com and the pickling and fermenting used at https://einsunternull.com to enable all year round seasonal produce.

It works in parts but if the idea is to be a bit more efficient and have less environmental impact I much prefer nose-to-tail.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We would need bigger glasshouses also as someone said in an earlier post we would have to eat seasonal it would reduce the air miles, however it could hurt some developing countries who need our trade.
However anything to help us avoid buying from Europe would be a bonus.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How many tea and coffee plantations do we have in this country. I am aware of Cornwall tea but others.
Also how many items built here actually have components from overseas. While we could over time make or develop replacements the cost of buying would increase considerably.

Also fruits like pineapple take two years to grow before being able to harvest is there enough space for the additional greenhouses to grow fruits and other delicate foods.

No and no from me as I don't want scurvy

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Individually, it would be easily achievable

If the whole country all decided to buy and eat only food produced in the UK, would we be able to grow enough to feed everyone? i doubt it.

We had trouble feeding the entire population during WW2 and the population was significantly smaller than now (UK: 47,760,000 vs 65.64 million now) and that was with food imports

Prices would go up, meaning that you would probably need rationing and other measures to ensure everyone could afford to eat and (hopefully) enough food would be available.

A lot of land would have to be turned over to agriculture in an effort to try to grow enough food and we could potentially lose a lot of cattle feed that would normally be imported in, meaning to sustain existing levels, or to increase the amount of meat produced to make up for the lack of imports, more land would also be needed to grow their feed, leading to more pressure over land use and more wild areas lost.

It might also mean the use of GM crops with faster growth rates, or higher yields are the only way to try to bridge any shortfall.

Then there is the question of what happens if there is a crop failure (drought, pestilence or disease) and far less food is produced than expected?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
More of these image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here