Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supper?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can anyone explain what time one might have this, I ask as I'm hearing it more and more, "Kier and Cressida are popping round this evening for supper". Is it a posh word for dinner, a hipster name for an evening meal or and extra meal taken after dinner at say 10pm?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When I was growing up it's what we always called the evening meal.

I call it 'tea' now, which I previously thought of as a northern term.

It seems to have become the posh word, but I don't remember it having those connotations in the past.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
From the web -

Technically, dinner is the main meal of the day served at any time from midday onward. Luncheon is the midday meal if the principal meal is in the evening, while supper is the evening meal if the principal meal is a midday-midafternoon.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Can anyone explain what time one might have this, I ask as I'm hearing it more and more, "Kier and Cressida are popping round this evening for supper". Is it a posh word for dinner, a hipster name for an evening meal or and extra meal taken after dinner at say 10pm?

As someone that went to a private school!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why pop round for a bowl of weetabix, in their jimmyjimjams?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes, just as dinner is a posh term for tea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I was growing up it's what we always called the evening meal.

I call it 'tea' now, which I previously thought of as a northern term.

It seems to have become the posh word, but I don't remember it having those connotations in the past.

You're posh, and ahead of your time :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Is it a posh word now? Growing up it was whatever my dad ate about an hour after he'd eaten dinner. Usually cakes, bread, penguins(the chocolate biscuit not the animal) and anything else he could get his hands on before getting shouted at.

Dinner being the main evening meal(I wanted to say dinner there but....). Apart from on a sunday when we had a roast dinner at lunch time and then tea(sandwiches or egg and beans or something similar) at dinner time. Lunch, of course, was at lunch time which was the meal in between breakfast and dinner(unless it was a sunday in which case...). Breakfast was always in the morning. Until I went to uni then it was at lunch time, lunch was at dinner time and dinner was a kebab after chucking out time at the pub.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
My mother worked in service and there is no set time for breakfast. Then came elevenses followed by lunch followed by afternoon/ high tea. Evening would be an evening meal if dinner wasn't being taken. If dinner was on it was usually taken quite late in the day 9 ish. There would often be a cold table left for nibbling often called supper cigars and brandy a la Downtob Abbey.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
I thought it was

Morning - breakfast
11:30-2:30 - Lunch
4:30-6:30 - Dinner
6:30- - Supper.

But living up north, apparently lunch is dinner and dinner is tea. Barbarians :shrug:

Lunch does'nt exist up here.

Breakfast
Dinner
Tea
Pudding
Afters

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports