Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Falmer, my arse"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
“Next we were off to Withdean Stadium, which was a total shambles. It was a small, decrepit athletics stadium with a football pitch surrounded by a running track. There were two uncovered stands, one holding 1,800 fans and the South Stand, which contained 4,500 temporary seats installed on a grass bank. It held less than 7,000 fans and there was no real atmosphere there, but we turned it into a fortress. The dressing room was a portakabin with a crooked floor and a leaking roof. There was a tiny office in the home dressing room, separated from the players, where Micky and I would go at halftime if the players were arguing with each other and we would let them sort things out for themselves.”

-------------------------------------------------

I spoke to Micky Adams recently and he explained his decision [to leave Brighton]: “I was very ambitious and given the problems we faced I just could not see Brighton progressing at the pace I wanted. The higher we progressed the more difficult it would be to maintain our success. Dick Knight was always telling me how close we were to getting permission for a new stadium in the city but Bob and I would have a drink every Friday after training and our toast was always ‘Falmer, My Arse’ as we knew just how far away it was despite Dick’s words.”

Lots more gems here: https://bfctalk.wordpress.com/2017/...rticularly-as-this-chapter-is-about-brighton/

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just read all that on the link. I couldn't stop once I started. Very amusing and brings back memories.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Well here's to your "Falmer my arse" toast then��...and Dick's words��......would appear his words rang true then?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Greville is a good guy. I've seen some of the rest of the book and it's highly entertaining. Possibly in the running for best Albion-related book of the summer, although I hear there's going to be competition ...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just shows that Scouting players is a waste of time. As B. Zamora was signed on loan from Brizzle, the main reason being, he only earned £140 pounds a week. Good value. We appeared to have followed this reason for signing players ever since. :thumbsup:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
“Next we were off to Withdean Stadium, which was a total shambles. It was a small, decrepit athletics stadium with a football pitch surrounded by a running track. There were two uncovered stands, one holding 1,800 fans and the South Stand, which contained 4,500 temporary seats installed on a grass bank. It held less than 7,000 fans and there was no real atmosphere there, but we turned it into a fortress. The dressing room was a portakabin with a crooked floor and a leaking roof. There was a tiny office in the home dressing room, separated from the players, where Micky and I would go at halftime if the players were arguing with each other and we would let them sort things out for themselves.”

-------------------------------------------------

I spoke to Micky Adams recently and he explained his decision [to leave Brighton]: “I was very ambitious and given the problems we faced I just could not see Brighton progressing at the pace I wanted. The higher we progressed the more difficult it would be to maintain our success. Dick Knight was always telling me how close we were to getting permission for a new stadium in the city but Bob and I would have a drink every Friday after training and our toast was always ‘Falmer, My Arse’ as we knew just how far away it was despite Dick’s words.”

Lots more gems here: https://bfctalk.wordpress.com/2017/...rticularly-as-this-chapter-is-about-brighton/
hospitality was better atmosphere and food was better at Withdean.i think they are trying sort this out it will help being in the premiership.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Kudos to the writer, and any writer because it's a hard slog with often limited rewards, but is this a commercially viable book? The potential audience for a Bob Booker autobiography is surely relatively small...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent read . Thanks for posting .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you reckon Micky Adams saw as as Tinpot? ( no not Reading :rolleyes:) I always had that impression tbh whereas I got the feeling that Steve Coppell had a genuine affection for us :shrug:

The comment about Falmer reinforces that feeling.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Kudos to the writer, and any writer because it's a hard slog with often limited rewards, but is this a commercially viable book? The potential audience for a Bob Booker autobiography is surely relatively small...

I think it will appeal to fans of lower league football in general. Much the same as the excellent journeyman by Ben Smith.

Greville Waterman

Aug 3, 2016
Here is some more information about the book which is currently at the printers. It should be available by the mid/end of August. There are chapters on each of the six managers Bob worked with and he had been enormously open and honest about his time at the club as well as his love for it.

Lots of stories about his playing and management career and the toll that a life in football can take.

I really hope that some of you decide to check it out. The book has been a year in the researching and writing and I have loved almost every minute of it!

http://www.bennionkearny.com/book/ooh-aah-bob-booker-story-greville-waterman-book-ebook/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here